GDT: Jan 2, 2017 Avs @ Canucks 7:00 pm. SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Bret H
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Jan 2, 2017 Avs @ Canucks 7:00 pm. SN

Post by Bret H »

Rodin looked a bit lost out there... not in position, and not sure where to go. He once had a zone entry to the right where the SEL version of Rodin would have found someone open almost at once. Here he hesitated and almost ended up losing the puck. But you can see he has the skill as he eventually found that open man in Edler and set him up for a great scoring chance. With some more playing time and confidence he'll be fine.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
lostinarink wrote:
chris wrote:Willie sits Rodin for the last 7 minutes of the game yet double shifts Chaput. I just don't get this guy??
It worked! Guess that is why Willie has the job not us lol
I'd do the same. Chapoo is a good checker and solid faceoff man; Willie D probably wanted to preserve the lead or just get it to OT and come out with at least 1 point. Willie D knows what he has in Chapoo, while Rodin is basically a new player for him. Also, Rodin is known to be an offensive skilled guy and not so much a defensive checker.
Yup. Even in his post game, Willie said he hasn't seen him enough yet and needs to get to know him and his strengths and weaknesses better. Pre-season was not a good enough look and will try and get him more time.
Didn't want to experiment in the third period of a game on the line. That's honest..
"evolution"
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

chris wrote:Willie sits Rodin for the last 7 minutes of the game yet double shifts Chaput. I just don't get this guy??
Rodin got over 10 minutes playing time and an assist.. He is not a proven good defensive player
Chaput is a decent defensive player and plays on the PK.. He got to play 1 minute longer .. and of coljrse has much more experience than Rodin.. NOW DO YOU GET IT ?
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rodin had at least two great passes. On helped set up Bo's goal. The other set Edler up perfectly but Edler missed. There were other little plays where he chipped the puck out of the zone, nothing fancy, just cleared the puck. He also didn't go high speed much, he has another gear, good wheels. He's never been a crashed type so we won't see that from him.

Guy needs a good 10-15 games to get his timing and confidence back. I'm looking forward to seeing his shot on a regular basis. That will be what tells us if he's a keeper or not.
The only HW the Canucks need
chris
CC Rookie

Post by chris »

Tiger wrote:
Rodin got over 10 minutes playing time and an assist.. He is not a proven good defensive player
Chaput is a decent defensive player and plays on the PK.. He got to play 1 minute longer .. and of coljrse has much more experience than Rodin.. NOW DO YOU GET IT ?
No, I don't. Sorry. If you are going to sit Rodin and that's the coaches option, then fine. But I can tell you I certainly wouldn't be giving more ice to Chaput. I'd be calling 53's number a hell of a lot sooner than him.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Rodin isn't in game shape, he's been struggling all season with an injury that is taking forever to heal properly. I don't blame Wilbrod in this situation.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

RoyalDude wrote:Rodin isn't in game shape, he's been struggling all season with an injury that is taking forever to heal properly. I don't blame Wilbrod in this situation.
Right. They gave him seven minutes the other night. Now he got ten.
They're easing him in and letting him gradually earn more ice time.
For a guy that's been away from the action for that long it makes total sense.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.