GDT: Canucks host Flames - 7pm 10/15 - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks host Flames - 7pm 10/15 - CBC

Post by Cherry Picker »

I think to Benning, Horvat, if developed well, will be his Bergeron. He will be the leader on the checking line playing against other teams top lines. Bergeron is never considered a scoring centre, but he's vital to shutting down other teams and to team success. He's clutch and one of the best centres in the game. If Horvat achieves that reputation no one will complain about his wingers scoring if they match up hard and shut down other teams.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Bo got thrown to the wolves last season with Sutter getting hurt. Management is back to managing his devopment.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Both sides tonight appear to be one-line-scoring teams at this point. I didn't feel like Calgary was a threat to score on any plays other than the close calls from Gaudreau. Same can be said about the Canucks for 75% of that game.

I was actually surprised by how bad Calgary looked last night. The change behind the bench really has exposed some of their players to a greater degree than I expected it would.

Gaudreau is very off still. The only chemistry he is finding with teammates is with Monahan, and there isn't a lot of it yet. I suspect that it will be late November before he really gets going, if he even does. Could Johnny Hockey be just the lastest in a long list of names who busted after signing their first big contract?

The Canucks benefited from Calgary's ineptitude. However, the same can be said about the Flames who relied on Eriksson to score their only goal.

Hansen, I wanted him gone, still think he's a great asset to trade for a young return, but I'm not sorry he's still here.

Gudbranson looked every bit as advertised.

The PP still has the same sorry zone entry, but the setup is different, and looks much more promising. It's similar to 2009-2012 when Salo was our RH bomber. As Topper pointed out the Sedin's don't have the option to drain the defense with their cycle now that Daniel is on the weak side, but watching last night I think that this setup is equally, if not more draining. The defending PK now chases more and this presents the option of striking from both sides. Henrik has 3 targets to his for a shot, Larsson, Daniel, and Sutter. Daniel has 3 targets: Hank, Eriksson, and Sutter. I noticed Calgary having to chase more when the puck was sent around the boards from Sedin to Sedin.

In the OT our final PP looked better than any 4-on-3 PP we watched all last year. Hank needs to quit over thinking it though. He has a right handed point man again, and Calgary was essentially giving them that option.....so take it. Bombs away. Don't even worry about trying to hit Daniel on the back door play. Just slide out so you can hit the low strong forward or the point for the one-timer. Force their goalie to make 5 or 6 primary saves.

One thing of note about our forecheck, much better sticks this year. So many poke checks, especially between the blueline and the hashmarks, not always recovered, but very disruptive and by the 3rd period Calgary's rushing wingers were hanging back a bit.

That was the most structured and unified I have seen this team play since Clipboard Willie took the reigns.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Helluva game from Sutter and Sbisa last night!

Where's Blob?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:Helluva game from Sutter and Sbisa last night!

Where's Blob?
Last I heard Blob became a Flames fan (can't recall his handle at Bountiful).

Speaking of schmucks :mrgreen: did anyone catch Kelly Hrudey in the second period intermission?

They showed a clip of a penalty called on Wideman the other night.

The other three on the panel all agreed that there is no rumoured conspiracy against Wideman by the officials.

Then Hrudey:

"All bias aside, for 6 or 7 games after Wideman got suspended, the refs were punishing the Flames." :crazy:

I blame cow fumes...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Looks like a power play, feels like a power play, not a power play. Just clutch.

The Shift 2.0:

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.