GDT: 4/4/16 Kings @ Canucks 7:00 pm SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

GDT: 4/4/16 Kings @ Canucks 7:00 pm SN

Post by Hockey Widow »

Projected line up based on morning skate. Only nine players were at yesterday's optional so hard to predict and WD likes to wait until the last possible minute before revealing his line up.

Sedin/Sedin/Hansen
Dorsett/Horvat/Etem
McCann/Granlund/Virtanen
Pedan/Gaunce/Burrows

Hamhuis/Tanev
Hutton/Tryamkin
Bartkowski/Biega

Miller

Both Dorsett and Virtanen are back and ready to go. Vey, Higgins and Baertschi join the wounded camp. Although WD hinted that one of those three is a game time decision and could play. Didn't say which one or who would sit if said player did return.

Canucks try to put together their first three game winning streak tonight. That's right, they ain't done it all year. Now would be a hell of a time to do it!

On winning versus being in a better position to draft high this is what WD said, or words to that effect:

You always want a chance to draft high and get a player that can help you down the road but never at the risk of creating a losing culture. If it comes down to a choice you always play to win every game and build a culture of winning no matter what. It's too hard to change a losing culture and if you let it creep in that will set the organization back for years.

So WD is coaching to win and I'm ok with it. If we lose one of the last four we are pretty much guaranteed a bottom six finish with odds still to pick top four. Even if we pick sixth I think Benning will select a good player.

On Pedan:

Thought they would have an opportunity to see him on D more. My take, signing Trymakin was a pleasant surprise as is his play. Trymakin has quickly take Pedan's spot on the depth chart. With WD wanting to win every game he isn't going to put Pedan in a position to lose. As well, these games are critical for Trymakin's adjustment to NA ice. Pedan will get more chances to play wing and be a versatile player moving forward.

McCann is better suited for wing in the NHL at this point in his development. Too hard for most 19 year olds to break into the NHL as a centre. Wants versatile centres who can shift to wing. Ideally would like a L and R centre on each line so you are always drawing to your strength.

This explains why Sutter, Vey, McCann, Gaunce, and soon Granlund (next year) will all play wing/centre throughout the year. I guess it explains it.

This also means Gaunce, converted to wing, is now converted back to centre over Vey and McCann. I think Vey is gone next year and McCann is penciled in for Utica. They want to see how Gaunce plays centre at the NHL level.

His mix and match is also to strengthen options on the PK. A centre who knows how to play wing.

Wants the players to play for each other and win out. Put it on the line and make a statement. Character wins, lack of character doesn't. These next four games will go a long way for managment in making their final assessments. The challenge has been placed so I guess we will see if the team accepts that challenge or not.

Going to watch the last four cause I ain't gonna see my boys again until Oct. but if the game tonight is too painful, Canada vs. USA gold medal game from Kamloops is on at the same time! Just saying.
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: GDT: 4/4/16 Kings @ Canucks 7:00 pm SN

Post by Arachnid »

Getting the surprise of Hutton & Tryamkin is a pretty sweet silver lining to the season...

With Edler, Tanev and maybe Hamhuis back that means we have 5 pretty good D.

If we get a nice college D prospect then I will be happy. The last 3 can be whoever we want to brow beat as fans :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Arachnid wrote:Getting the surprise of Hutton & Tryamkin is a pretty sweet silver lining to the season...

If we get a nice college D prospect then I will be happy. The last 3 can be whoever we want to brow beat as fans :D

I would like them to trade Sbisa and bring Hamhuis back personally.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: Getting the surprise of Hutton & Tryamkin is a pretty sweet silver lining to the season...
Yeah, that's the beauty of a rebuild, which younguns are gonna step up... and to what level.

I see the dee next year as...

Edler – Tanev
Hutton – Tree
Sbisa – Larsen
Pedan – Biega

(everyone forgets about Larsen)

Though I could see Benning trade Sbisa and re-sign Hamhuis on the cheap (2 yr deal?)...

Edler – Tanev
Hutton – Tree
Hamhuis – Larsen
Pedan – Biega
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: I would like them to trade Sbisa and bring Hamhuis back personally.
Saaay, what's taking Blobby so long to show up with his "Sbisa is untradable" routine? :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Getting the surprise of Hutton & Tryamkin is a pretty sweet silver lining to the season...

Ahhh Pizza boy is OK for a 7th-8th, him and Biega. They know the system. Unless we reel-in another UFA D.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Arachnid wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

Ahhh Pizza boy is OK for a 7th-8th, him and Biega. They know the system. Unless we reel-in another UFA D.
From what I have heard they have two UFA Dmen on their list. Don't know who of course. Don't know who their first target would be or their fall back target. If they do sign one of the two I can see Biega waived and a trade somewhere. I'm not sure if who they have targeted are a better option than bringing Hamhuis though. He would probably be cheaper and you know what you get.

They have also targeted a couple of college D but I guess the expectations are they would be Utica bound.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Benning had a big boner for Bartkwoski since last year. After how shitty he's been this year, I'd rather just roll with the kids than go dump upwards of $2M on some 5-7 guy and lose a Pedan/Biega on waivers.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

A little unorthodox but a nice flying tackle by Tryamkin to clear Brown out. I wonder if they show him flash cards of who to hit. If they don't they should.

And bam Kings score.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Etem with a fluke but he'll take it. He's starting to put up a few points.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Hockey Widow wrote:Etem with a fluke but he'll take it. He's starting to put up a few points.
Right place right time I guess....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

rats19 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Etem with a fluke but he'll take it. He's starting to put up a few points.
Right place right time I guess....
Yep, and Horvat got himself another assist. Now at 37 points.

21 year olds with 37 or more points with nucks:
Bure 110
Tanti 86
Smyl
Plus about 4 others before this thing accidently posted without everything I wrote lol
Last edited by lostinarink on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

About time they used Hansen on the PP...
:) 2 - 2
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

typical Canucks

winning games when you shouldn't

losing games when you cannot lose

but I doubt if Kopitar would let this happen. This will be a high scoring game!
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

Great to see team finally gelling - just a little late lol
16/17 is looking better all the time. I guess things are better in the locker room right now.

Win tonight and they could win out the rest of the season :twisted: