Vancouver @ Calgary 9:00 PM ET SNP, SNW

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Vancouver @ Calgary 9:00 PM ET SNP, SNW

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:It's good to see some posters have the foresight to see that a higher draft pick does a lot more for the teams future than hanging onto to veterans like grim death. Where is the dude ? Shouting at crackheads in Whalley ?

Be fair Blob. This time last year he was all the rage about the importance of drafting high. He spent the whole summer being pissed that we got 100+ points and blew a chance to draft several spots higher. In fact he praised Calgary for just squeaking into the playoffs while losing 2-3 last three games thereby earning a higher draft pick. He was right pissed at Benning and Willie he was.

This new Dude is the anomaly.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Let's trade Markstrom to Calgary for their first. Extend Miller for two more years. In three years Demko will be ready. :mrgreen:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I'm not even watching these games anymore, just spot checking once in awhile, having TV on background.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Shit, I don't think anybody predicted Gaudreau would be this good. I readily admit I thought he would get smashed in the NHL. He looks like he's in fucking grade seven out there. But he can really play and is fun to watch.

I still get he feeling someone will hurt him bad one of these days. A man can dream.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Is there a more annoying PA announcer in the league than in Calgary.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

SKYO wrote:I'm not even watching these games anymore, just spot checking once in awhile, having TV on background.
That's the spirit.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

Hockey Widow wrote: I think both will waive. I don't think Vrbata will be as picky as Hamhuis. Vrbata will be playing to get another NHL contract while Hamhuis is pretty much assured he will get one. I think Washington would be a perfect fit for Hamhuis. Vrbata, maybe Chicago with the Hossa injury but they will look at players like Hrudler too. Maybe they spring for Ladd.

Webber and Bartkowski could land us some late rounders. Weber I think we try to move, maybe we get a 5-7 pick, if we are lucky. Benning seems to like Bartkowski so I don't know if they move him but if someone comes knocking and offers a 2-3 I think we should take it. The only time Bartkowski gets you a 2nd would be TDD.
I think that the biggest issue with the Canucks right now is depth at D. Hammy is an asset that would be very difficult to replace, especially given that they could use a couple players of his calibre. I wouldn't have a issue with him staying unless a good D prospect came back for him or in another trade.
Weber can go. He is very replaceable, so even a 7th would be a win. I would rather see a prospect have his spot.

I like some of what Bart brings (but hate lots too), I think he has room to improve, but we have Sbisa playing that role and Bart is Sbisa light. Let him go, like Weber, even if it is as a UFA at the end of the year, that would be a bonus for the space it creates.

Speaking of the pizza man, he really is a $1M 5/6 at the level he plays today. If JB can move him, do it and don't look back.

That leaves us with Edler/Tanev, Hammy/Hutton, Beiga)/prospect. Desperately need to get someone to slot in above Edler. If they need to sell the farm, or anyone else not named Horvat or "maybe Mathews", then do it.

The O is built to depend on the D to clear the zone and move the puck. The D can move the puck but cant clear the zone, or the net for that matter. A 27 year old Chara would be outstanding. They need Pedan or Try or someone with size and skill who can be nasty back there while remaining a solid D.

The O looks like it has a future, the D looks desperate.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

ok - that should be it for tonight 5-2 now
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Excellent Smithers…

With every lop-sided loss to the worst teams, there is no reason for the Aquas to think there is any chance for playoff revenue. Let the management sell and the vets choose where they want to go.

Everyday the lottery odds increases :D
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Now that our goaltending has come back down to earth we are seeing, or hopefully Benning is seeing, how bad we are. A healthy Sutter and Edler don't make us significantly better either.

Baertschi almost had two tonight.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hard to see positives here. Virtanens goal maybe?

Shit...the 80s canucks are back.
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rumsfeld wrote:
SKYO wrote:I'm not even watching these games anymore, just spot checking once in awhile, having TV on background.
That's the spirit.
And they should be thankful for even that.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Hard to see positives here. Virtanens goal maybe?

Shit...the 80s canucks are back.
It's a rebuild... patience... PATIENCE!!

You're in good hands...

____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Gaudreau spins off the boards with the puck right into Hank. Hank has perfect opportunity to smash Jonny with a legal hit. Hank does nothing.

Hank is a pussy. Don't be like Hank. :scowl:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

This reminds me of Nonis's last season.