GDT: 13/2/16 Toronto @ Vancouver HNIC 4:00pm PT

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: GDT: 13/2/16 Toronto @ Vancouver HNIC 4:00pm PT

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hank wrote:Elliott Friedman just nailed it.

You got a GM who really wants to sell to start over, but an owner who wants revenue and doesn't want to start over.

Fire Aqua.

Don't buy it. I think they are all on the same page on this one.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

uglier than the old uni's
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:

You got a GM who really wants to sell to start over, but an owner who wants revenue and doesn't want to start over.

Fire Aqua.

Which page are we at, at this point? Thoroughly out-worked and bent over by easily the worst roster this league has seen in recent seasons... If that's not a game that makes you look at your team and says "okay, enough is enough" I'm not sure what is. Turn the page on this season, let Benning go to work at the draft. We're not the Coyotes, hanging on by a sliver of fan support. Do it right.

LOL to anyone thinking Stamkos sees the Canucks as a viable "winning option". We're a team trending down.

The really sad thing is that without Miller that would've been a Leaf blowout.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

Fire Aqua.

Which page are we at, at this point? Thoroughly out-worked and bent over by easily the worst roster this league has seen in recent seasons... If that's not a game that makes you look at your team and says "okay, enough is enough" I'm not sure what is. Turn the page on this season, let Benning go to work at the draft. We're not the Coyotes, hanging on by a sliver of fan support. Do it right.

LOL to anyone thinking Stamkos sees the Canucks as a viable "winning option". We're a team trending down.

The really sad thing is that without Miller that would've been a Leaf blowout.
Just saying I doubt there is any conflict between ownership and management. Whether we agree or not. From day one Benning has told us his plan. Problem isn't that he is in conflict with the water boy but that he is in conflict with a vast number of fans, not all but a vast number.

I don't think we are dealing with stupid people here. They know what we have, and have not. He isn't going to go postal publicaly. For me this TDD will be telling. If he really goes into buyer mode I'll be calling for his head. But whatever he does you gotta believe he is on the same page as ownership. Friedman was just stirring the pot.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Just saying I doubt there is any conflict between ownership and management. Whether we agree or not. From day one Benning has told us his plan. Problem isn't that he is in conflict with the water boy but that he is in conflict with a vast number of fans, not all but a vast number.

I don't think we are dealing with stupid people here. They know what we have, and have not. He isn't going to go postal publicaly. For me this TDD will be telling. If he really goes into buyer mode I'll be calling for his head. But whatever he does you gotta believe he is on the same page as ownership. Friedman was just stirring the pot.
Well I guess he's also in conflict with some players in the room, if your friend is to be believed. So much for the high-character, mentorship, winning culture narrative being peddled about here. If there actually is conflict in that room they need to sort it out ASAP. The last thing we need is the future of this team becoming disillusioned with the franchise.

Then again, on a certain level I can understand the frustration. Benning's basically just put these older guys into a holding pattern, asked them to bust their guts out and get him one or two playoff dates while he recycles their jobs one year at a time. Publicly, he's selling the "we can make the playoffs" bit to one fan segment and trotting out underwhelming teens to sell the future to another, all the while being successful at neither. I can understand the "shit or get off the pot" mentality, as a player, but the time for this team to be a buyer was about 3/4 years ago.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

It's a prime time east coast HNIC game, TO gets played up, stir the on their foe.

I imagine there were a lot of folks pissed off after last nights game and I can easily see Miller being HW's voice of discontent. Reality is, with Edler out, if you subtract Hamhuis, there isn't much left. That is even with the turn around of Sbisa and the dreadful seasons Edler and Hamhuis are having. I don't blame Miller if he wants defensive help.

As much as people are giddy for Hutton, he makes a ton of rookie mistakes, Bartkowski is Mason Raymond on defense, without Raymond's shot. Weber has been so terrible his shot isn't even missed. Tanev looks beaten.

I was missing the much anticipated slow motion Edler to Henrik drop pass PP zone entry last night. That is how pathetic it is. Stay at home Sbisa is looking like an offensive force from the back end.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

But but but #winningattitude

No no because #competitive

:lol:

#deadlinebuyers

#losingculture
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Lol if Miller has any complaints he can stick them straight up his ass.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

It really wasn't a fair fight. The leaves squeaked into the playoffs a couple years ago, and that kind of experience makes teams hard to beat down the road.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
I don't think we are dealing with stupid people here.
:lol: Really?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
I don't think we are dealing with stupid people here.
:lol: Really?
unless we are talking about the coach... :?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It sure looked liked a lot of players just quit last night. There was zero compete out there. Well other than a few players taking runs at Corrado for some reason.

And it's not like massive changes haven't already happened since Benning took over, they have. Honestly there isn't much left to turn over.

I know the team can't tank and I'm fine with that. But I do expect effort. We didn't get much of one.

Reality is, we have a bad team. It's been said repeatedly, by many, as long as we have the twins we won't see a full on rebuild. Well we have two more years with them. By that time we should have a strong sense of how our kids have/are developing.

If last night's game is an example of the future then I'll be saving a lot of time not watching hockey.