GDT 16/11/15 Canucks @ Habs 4:30pm SNP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT 16/11/15 Canucks @ Habs 4:30pm SNP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

:lol:

Bring on the draft pick . You can't even use injuries as an excuse . They are missing two third line guys , a 4th liner and a no 6 d man . This organization needs everything to go right for them to have a chance to be competitive because they have no depth. If. If not for the horrible play of Anaheim and Calgary the Canucks would be nowhere near a playoff spot . I really hope some of the Pacific teams start to pick it up and end this pipe dream of the playoffs .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

rats19 wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
rats19 wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:Now we have the dreaded 2 goal lead....
Could be worse...
Yeah - we could have a 3 goal lead.... :/
Exactly....
Yeah. Exactly. :roll:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hank wrote:This is why they didn't go with a Lack-Markstrom combo.
You can't hang that on Markstrom . He made some great saves to keep it 3-2. Miller has looked like dogshit for the last ten games .,
CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
You can't hang that on Markstrom . He made some great saves to keep it 3-2. Miller has looked like dogshit for the last ten games .,
Exactly. I don't see how you can blame this game on Markstrom. The team simply folded it after taking a 3 fucking nothing lead.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote::lol:

Bring on the draft pick . You can't even use injuries as an excuse . They are missing two third line guys , a 4th liner and a no 6 d man . This organization needs everything to go right for them to have a chance to be competitive because they have no depth. If. If not for the horrible play of Anaheim and Calgary the Canucks would be nowhere near a playoff spot . I really hope some of the Pacific teams start to pick it up and end this pipe dream of the playoffs .
WTF Blob, that single point put us back into 2nd in the division. That's HOME ICE in the first round, man. Give it time though, Anaheim is just 4 points back with a game in hand. They could be ahead of us by the weekend.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

A top 8 pick is a real possibility here . With some luck it could easily be a top 5 . If Benning decides to trade Hamhuis and we get a key injury a top 3 pick is well within our reach . :drink:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I can't see how Benning, Linden or whomever, could possibly see this as a playoff competitive team, let alone a playoff team. If they haven't seen enough I don't know what more they want. Turn it over Jim. Go all the way.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Markstrom made some great saves to keep it 2-0 and 3-0 and 3-1 too. Garrett is an ass hat with that comment on the tying goal, where he says how coaches say that you just need that one save at a crucial moment in the game, and that was the time they needed it. I realize he was a terrible goaltender himself, but I suppose the 7 grade A scoring chances the Canucks served up and Markstrom turned aside weren't as crucial.

I'm not sure what goes through a team's mind when your goalie is bailing you out and you continue to sit back on the lead.....except for Weber who decides he's Bobby Orr and attacks independent of him teammates to the point of turning it over time and again.

Higgins with an incredible back-check on the OT winner btw. Wow. Watch him coasting at center ice as PK is hitting our blueline and taking that pass.

It looks like you will be a happy man in the next year or so Blob, because Benning is gonna have to pull the plug soon and this team is gonna head straight to the basement. Ignowtski will then draft shrewdly, restock our cupboards with some real talent and then get axed..... :P

This team has NO idea how to play 3-on-3 either. I blame that on the old core more than anything. They had to play that structured Sedin style of game, so now you see guys like Vrbata, Virtanen, Horvat, McCann, Baertschi, who all recognize that jumping out as soon as puck is turned over is the best way to generate a chance.....but the old defensemen don't look for it. Case in point tonight was Tanev. Markstrom kept the play going and Vrbata was off to the races but Tanev slowed it down and didn't look for that breakout until it was too late.

Stick a fork in them and hope for some miraculously stupid GM decisions at the deadline and we see overpayment for a few of our vets. Cue the lottery pick.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
I'm not hanging this on Markstrom but some of those goals weren't good.

People wanted the Lack-Markstrom combo LAST season… before Markstrom had his strong year in the AHL. There still isn't enough sample size to say he is an absolutely steady NHL backup yet. You need vets like Miller to protect 19 & 20 year olds. You can't say Miller hasn't been decent thus far.

Honestly, this is what we wanted and these are the results we should be expecting. You got McCann, Virtanen, Hutton, Shinkaruk, sophomore Horvat and Baertschi in the lineup. Weren't we all happy about that? The coach needs to think about these kids' development and how they're going to turn out at 23 and in their athletic primes, so they hardly play while the vets play too much, just like in the Torts era. There aren't enough good veteran depth forwards for this team to be competitive right now… Vrbata has been terrible and the D absolutely sucks. FFS, we are actually pining for the Pizza man.

Really we're getting a high draft pick. No matter what management wants you to believe, this is playing out exactly according to plan and we all should just deal with it.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hank wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
I'm not hanging this on Markstrom but some of those goals weren't good.

People wanted the Lack-Markstrom combo LAST season… before Markstrom had his strong year in the AHL. There still isn't enough sample size to say he is an absolutely steady NHL backup yet. You need vets like Miller to protect 19 & 20 year olds. You can't say Miller hasn't been decent thus far.
The 1st goal was a beauty shot on a 2-on-1 that went post and in. You can't pin that on the goalie.

The 2nd goal should have been a penalty to Pacioretty but it wasn't. Markstrom made a good first save through traffic and there was nobody picking up Max in front of the net.

The tying goal he probably should have had.

Markstrom was much better than his Montreal counterpart in this one, and definitely deserved a better outcome.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I don't disagree Mëds. Markstrom deserved better. The guys in front of him let him down.

It's not that we're sitting back. We just don't have the players, poise or IQ to stem the tide of momentum from good teams that step on the gas.

Coach won't trust the kids and the vets aren't good enough to be playing that many minutes.

Weren't we all looking forward in the summer to seeing some kids and getting a lottery pick?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:A top 8 pick is a real possibility here . With some luck it could easily be a top 5 . If Benning decides to trade Hamhuis and we get a key injury a top 3 pick is well within our reach . :drink:
Yep. We're a Sedin injury away from being a legit lottery team. As it is, we're trending in the same direction as the Oilers (3 wins in our past 10). The Flames, Canucks and Oilers all have the same amount of ROW. At least we only lose by 1, often in OT, whereas they lose by 4. Don't think it should make us feel much better, though. That loser point could be the difference between the 3rd and 7th overall pick.
Hank wrote: Coach won't trust the kids and the vets aren't good enough to be playing that many minutes.
Cracknell and Dorsett at 15/16 minutes per isn't exactly a Topper recipe for success.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hank wrote:I don't disagree Mëds. Markstrom deserved better. The guys in front of him let him down.

It's not that we're sitting back. We just don't have the players, poise or IQ to stem the tide of momentum from good teams that step on the gas.

Coach won't trust the kids and the vets aren't good enough to be playing that many minutes.

Weren't we all looking forward in the summer to seeing some kids and getting a lottery pick?
Oh absolutely.

I'm not actually upset with the loss, or the overall performance on this road trip. This was expected.

I'm a bit upset by the way the kids are handled and not being utilized to maximize their skills and confidence building. Particularly in the 3-on-3 where their speed and reckless creativity would not hurt the team any more than the dogmatically boring and slow game that we are seeing from out vets.

I will be upset if management continues to try and sell this group as a playoff team.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Cracknell and Dorsett at 15/16 minutes per isn't exactly a Topper recipe for success.
Yeah, neither is Weber playing 20 minutes... that's even more than Hamhuis.

Weber is a bottom-pairing guy who realistically shouldn't even be penciled in for more than 40 games a season. I actually miss hearing people saying how bad Bartkowski is. Can't be worse than powerkillers Edler & Weber or all-time horrible advanced stats HOF'er Sbisa.

Plus it was comical watching the rookie Hutton babysit the veteran Swiss Stalwart. Yeah you know, Sbisa isn't so bad if he doesn't actually have to touch the puck. Legitimate Lulz.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mondi wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I can't see how Benning, Linden or whomever, could possibly see this as a playoff competitive team, let alone a playoff team. If they haven't seen enough I don't know what more they want. Turn it over Jim. Go all the way.
The real isssue is that every time this team has missed the playoffs the GM has been fired...

#AUSTINMATHEWS
That won't happen with this crew. I think the water boy will give them a few more years. If they don't have this transition finished in time to take over from the twins then I can see the plug being pulled. They have the time, they just need to finish the turn over and get some assets or picks back along the way.
The only HW the Canucks need