GDT: 22/10/15 Capitals @ Canucks 7:00pm SN, SN360

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

GDT: 22/10/15 Capitals @ Canucks 7:00pm SN, SN360

Post by Hockey Widow »

Sedin/Sedin/Vrbata
Burrows/Sutter/Hansen
Baertschi/Horvat/Virtanen
Dorsett/McCann/Prust

Miller in net

No change on defence.

I think this is probably much closer to the lineup WD envisioned at camp. Maybe swap Horvat and Sutter, swap Virtanen with Burrows or Hansen. Little things :mrgreen:

4th line I think is more like they wanted with the centre position being Vey's.

If McCann can't play effectively on the 4th line this may be his final test. He may get a few games look there.

Glad the kid line is getting another look.

Just say no to the great 8.

4-3 for Canucks.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: 22/10/15 Capitals @ Canucks 7:00pm SN, SN360

Post by SKYO »

Canucks come out hungry af for a win.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

First time all 5 of the kids, Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen, McCann and Hutton, in the same game, in regular season.

WD on Hutton, he has way exceeded his expectations and continues to get better. He is here to stay.

On MCann, he was slated to get Cracknell's spot earlier but then got banged up. Cracknell sits only because WD wants a good look at McCann on the 4th line.

Impressed with Sutter with the twins but not the way he sees it unfolding, feels we are stronger overall, more balance, with Sutter at centre.

The kid line gets another chance to see if they have that chemistry and to try to get all three on the scoresheet. If that line can gel, can produce, then we maybe seeing what the team will look like most nights moving forward. My sense though is that for McCaan at least, he could be on his last few games. I think he needs to do something special on the 4th line for the Canucks to be convinced he is ready. WD seems a little unsure if he is physically ready and he is super pleased with Cracknell. If they see McCann as physically unready and are high on Cracknell then they may feel, at this point, McCann isn't a huge upside over Vey or Gaunce as that extra forward.

Really hoping all the kids shine tonight. It does make it exciting to want to watch them.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

I'm not really sure how McCann can do something "special" with Prust and Dorsett as playing partners. Maybe defensive responsibility plus a few well-timed garbage goals will be good enough for WD to kick his crack habit.

Also looking forward to the kid line again. Personally I would like to see all the kids stay up, sink or swim. I don't care if it means we make the playoffs or miss the playoff, it's just boring to watch the same old crew.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

5thhorseman wrote:I'm not really sure how McCann can do something "special" with Prust and Dorsett as playing partners. Maybe defensive responsibility plus a few well-timed garbage goals will be good enough for WD to kick his crack habit.

Also looking forward to the kid line again. Personally I would like to see all the kids stay up, sink or swim. I don't care if it means we make the playoffs or miss the playoff, it's just boring to watch the same old crew.

Well I think that is the point. The 4th line centre job was Vey's to lose but almost everyone recognized that he was not suited to a traditional 4th line role. But he needed to do something special to keep that job. Along comes Cracknell, who does fit that traditional 4th line centre role and, for almost half as much money, takes the job. McCann is now, I think, in the same position. Can he be over 50% in F/O? Can he be responsible defensively? Can he help provide energy and a good fore check? Can he play 7-10 minutes a night and not be subjected to getting scored upon? Can he use his speed and shot to provide some secondary scoring? Can he do this while surround by traditional 4th line type players? In other words he can't be a liability but he also must enhance that line so they can fill a 4th line role. Vey couldn't do it either. At least he certainly didn't do it last season or in preseason and by all accounts isn't doing it in Utica. Cracknell so far has done that and can kill penalties on top of that.

McCann has far far more upside, long term, than Vey. No one disputes that. But it is the short term we are measuring and trying to balance with his physical readiness. No one sees him as a future 4th liner. His upside is top six. But there is no top six role for him right now. And he hasn't taken one away from anyone, yet. What has kept him with the team thus far is his deadly accurate shot. He has that potential as a pure goal scorer. We need that. But to stick this year he will have to show that on the 4th line, he can help make it an effective line. Most games thus far the 4th line has been our most consistent or at least one of the more effective and consistent lines, with Cracknell.

If all McCann is good for is rotating in and out of the third line, pushing Sutter to the wing, I doubt he stays. As excited as I am in his potential I would rather have Gaunce, showcase Cassels as injury call up. Unless he does what Vey could not do.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

5thhorseman wrote:I'm not really sure how McCann can do something "special" with Prust and Dorsett as playing partners. Maybe defensive responsibility plus a few well-timed garbage goals will be good enough for WD to kick his crack habit.

Horvat did last year on the 4th line!

All McCann has to do is play it safely in the defensive zone with good positioning, good stick work, take lanes away and then do what he does best and get some points.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Yeah, just sayin' Kenins/Hansen > Prust/Dorsett. So he may not replicate Bo's offensive performance unless he gets regular time on the PP. Physically, I don't see an issue with Dorsett and Prust around to work the boards and ready to smash heads for any liberties taken. Would love to see him stick around ... both his goals were beauts!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Woot! Going to the game tonite. Looking forward to seeing Ovi and our rookies. :P
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Dorsett lucky to only get 2 for that.

Hansen has to shoot on that play. Two on almost none short handed, gotta take the shot.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Woot! Going to the game tonite. Looking forward to seeing Ovi and our rookies. :P

Want a full report!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Caps announcers really like their team...I am getting very tired of opposition feeds.

I am a biosed sumbitch
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

That was a goal against the play. Bartkowski is fast becoming my whipping boy.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Edler playing some pretty tragic defence in that period. This is still a contact league, right?

Lots of fancy going on. Watching some of these pass attempts, it's easy to see why we have the worst (tied) PP in the league.

Hutton between the legs, own-zone, breakout pass. Don't mind him trying it, as long as he learns that's not an NHL play.

4th line was impressive, hard to fault them for that goal after that dominant shift in Washington's zone.

Miller playing great.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Vrbata...trade him while he is hot.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Horvat out with Prust and Dorsett. I love nought McCann looked good there. Wonder what's up with that.

Well now Horvat is back with the kids. Maybe just a line screw up?