GDT: 12-Oct-15 Canucks @ Ducks 19:00 PST on SNV

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: 12-Oct-15 Canucks @ Ducks 19:00 PST on SNV

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Troll much ? Wtf is that ? Just because I am not a fan of the current management team I am a troll ?
You're feelings towards management are certainly valid.

Btaim, to piss all over the game day thread with said feelings are both off topic and redundant. Given the quality of play and competitive nature the Canucks have shown tonite, I'd also suggest you're teetering on troll status.

Just sayin'.
I was responding to a question from HW. I originally expressed my feelings about Jake Virtanen being parked once again by Little Willie . I'm not a fan of sitting a 19 year old kid in the press box game after game . They may as well send him back to junior if Desjardins isn't comfortable playing him .
ask and you shall receive ol' blobby, Virtanen to play tonight....i think.:D

And we should re-sign Edler, :-p, his contract is looking better and better.

Sbisa 50% great (defensive plays/playing rough) 50% meh, kinda like bieksa.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Good answer!

I like most of Bennng's move, other than the cap management. With WD what has surprised me the most is is reticence to go with youth. I was under the impression he was hired because of his ability to coach the younger players. I'm still evaluating :mrgreen:

I know it is early in the season but so far I like what I am seeing about their grit and speed. We are not a cup contender barring a miracle but we are better so far then last year. Also, WD has 3, count em, 3 rookies on the bench and one in the pressbox. That ain't bad, so let's give them another year and see what is up.

I hate when they give up or are overwhelmed like the last period with Calgary. It just pisses me off and I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY JOHNNY HOCKEY IS UPRIGHT AND WALKING. He treated our D like a bunch of wankers and no one hit the little shithead. Get that kid that used to be called 'the undertaker' from NY, Dylan something or other. We have no fear element on our D and I am sure the Rangers would want to dump one of their shittier first round choices. We need that one who makes guys like Johnny and Kane behave.
Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Post by Lloyd Braun »

Guess it's time to be a contrarian.

I think WD seems to be doing a good job with our young players. Horvat, McCann, and Hutton all seem to have picked up the (reasonably complex) system and have not looked out of place at any time. They've all made far fewer rookie mistakes than I would have expected to see. I don't see anything to suggest WD isn't good at working with them on the little things they need to add to their game to make the jump.

The elephant in the room, of course, is this "all else being equal, go with the reliable veteran" approach. But is this necessarily a bad thing for the youth? There have always been two approaches to developing rookies: either you let them play their way to success, or you make them earn their opportunities. When kids have earned the chance, they've been here. Hutton has not been used sparingly, because he's earned it. McCann started the season here despite nobody expecting him to do so, because he earned it.

It seems to me that what people are really saying here, rather than "WD is bad with youth," is "I prefer letting kids play their way into success instead of working for opportunity."

I disagree.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

^^^^^^^^ blah blah blah^^^^^^^^ for myself I think the kid is rotting sitting his ass on the bench . If he is going to play 20-30% of the games and sit the rest send his ass back to junior . I haven't read anyone saying that these kids should be gifted positions .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Troll much ? Wtf is that ? Just because I am not a fan of the current management team I am a troll ?
blob you been trolling for a while now, if i had the time Doc has I'd find your post where you admit as much :)
Fortunately for Blob McTrollzie I don't have much time these days. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Post by Lloyd Braun »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:^^^^^^^^ blah blah blah^^^^^^^^ for myself I think the kid is rotting sitting his ass on the bench . If he is going to play 20-30% of the games and sit the rest send his ass back to junior . I haven't read anyone saying that these kids should be gifted positions .
So far, he's played 25% of the games.

Look... I can't and don't claim to know the reasons why Virtanen started the year in the pressbox. However, I've always seen him as a guy whose tools are well ahead of his toolbox. Stretching out his nine games, giving him more practice and video time with NHL coaches, letting him see games from upstairs... these don't seem like bad things to me.

But either way, judging the coach's record by only one kid while ignoring the other three seems rather reductive.

Your right that nobody's said anything about being "gifted" positions, however, I feel that the logic that many posters are using leads in this direction, regardless of intent.

Edit: The "blah blah blah" is funny aimed at a guy who posts once in a blue moon, and coming from a guy who's filling every thread with the same message.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yawn .... Fart ... I have reasons for disliking the coach other than just his handling of Jake Virtanen . I don't recall zeroing in to judge him on his handling of one player but whatever helps you sleep at night . As for the ref of your diatribe I'm sorry you are seeing " the same message " constantly . I feel very badly about that I really do . I will try to improve and I will think about joining the get along gang if they'll have me . :thumbs:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”