GDT:R1G3 Canucks @ Flames

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT:R1G3 Canucks @ Flames

Post by Meds »

JonT21 wrote:Sedins are the only line right now that are a consistent threat offensively in this series. But im not surprised that you guys quickly pissed your pants after lastnight.
Some of that "consistency" is phantom offense. They generate puck possession but end up taking low percentage shots with nobody going to the net for a rebound.

They are still the best forwards we have.

I suppose that you are OK with the team's on-ice leadership thinking that the all-around lack of effort and finish last night was "good enough", and that being out-hit 32-17, and losing puck battles all over the ice, is "matching their physical intensity".....

It's not a question of their skill, it's a question of their drive.
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

I am not panicking, they usually put a string together after they have a no show physical game like that one. The Sedins are playing very well and are due. Lack continues to be solid, Horvat gets better each game. There are good things in the mess that was the last game. We will turn it around. Canucks in 6
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
JonT21 wrote:Sedins are the only line right now that are a consistent threat offensively in this series. But im not surprised that you guys quickly pissed your pants after lastnight.
Atta boy Tranny 21, take the urine crew to task . Sedins are the problem lol.
Um, re-read the thread. Looks to me like the Sedins' leadership was being questioned, not their on-ice performance as one of our four lines.
Yeah, people tend to think that whenever someone questions the Sedin's and it involves the playoffs, that they are pointing to their production. Not true.

The Sedins point production per game in the playoffs is actually better than most detractors could imagine. Since 2008-09, when the Canucks started becoming a dominant team in the NHL, the Sedins have a better playoff PPG than the likes of Hossa, Toews, and Kopitar, just to name a few. It has been the supporting cast that has failed to get it done on the score sheet.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Remove the Sedins from the team and we would have been in the running for McDavid, bottom line, however they would really do themselves justice if they would snap back like Matts Sundin or Peter Forsberg would if somebody attempted to face wash them which is why nobody kicked sand in their faces the way they do with the twins in post season

Canucks need to get some more speed and tenacity and youth on the team, kind of getting tired of being ghe league sissies in the post season. When Bo Horvat looks like your fastest player when skating with the puck something's wrong. Bo is not known for speed. A rookie in Kenins should not be your best hitter

Bieksa is done

Don't want to see him or Higgins on the team next year. I've said it a thousand times, Higgins has no playoff gear, as Mëds says the puck dies on his stick and can't hit to save his life

I like our 1st and 4th line, it's what's in between is what's killing us right now along with D group who can't handle the tenacious Flames in your face forecheck, need better puck movers and puck protectors back there, bring in Corrado NOT Stanton
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

It's quite possible that those quotes are all that Hank is willing to give the media.

"I like our chances" remains positive and shows he's has faith in his teammates without going to the Hasselbeck extreme of "We're going to win". Henrik's response is the ideal 4-word answer to the obvious, repetitive questions.

What we really need to know, if the leadership is in question, is what he says in the room. We won't find that out for years, if ever.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Puck wrote:It's quite possible that those quotes are all that Hank is willing to give the media.

"I like our chances" remains positive and shows he's has faith in his teammates without going to the Hasselbeck extreme of "We're going to win". Henrik's response is the ideal 4-word answer to the obvious, repetitive questions.

What we really need to know, if the leadership is in question, is what he says in the room. We won't find that out for years, if ever.
Yes, these post-game Sedin comments are the same as always, win or lose. I think these comments have zero to say about their leadership and what is said in the room or how they view their performance. I find it hard to believe that anyone puts much stock into the almost-always canned post-game quotes from players/coaches. They are meaningless; they are there to fill paper articles, about it. The Sedins put up over 70 points each this year, in a year when point totals league wide were down, and people write as if they are an anchor on this team for years to come. As we transition to a younger team, they are key pieces keeping the team afloat...it never fails, every year, for some reason, the Sedins are run down by their own fan base...we won't know how good we all had it until they're gone, trust me.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

90% of the flames goals have come from a Canuck defender completely blundering an easy-out puck clearance leading to sustained pressure. Somebody needs to tell Sbisa that he ain't Paul Coffey and if he can't handle a soft pass from his D partner without it bouncing off his stick like a beach ball then maybe he should just chip it off the glass and out. Immediately after reading that sentence I don't even trust Sbisa to chip it off the glass without getting a penalty for delay of game.

The Sedin's may not be generating much offense but their sustained pressure is at least keeping the puck out of the Canuck zone, which is more than anyone can say about the 2nd and 3rd lines.

I've seen enough soft shots into Hiller's glove in this series to last me a lifetime. At least do a hard low shot to his far pad and hope he kicks a rebound up the middle (where none of our 2nd/3rd liners dare go). Who the hell pisses their pants over taking punishment from 5'8 170 lb Kris Russel?
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

For me that may have been the most embarrassing Canuck performance since the Boston series.

It's all good though, game 4 we smoke their candy asses.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

In Rummy we trust!

Start that thread good and early. :thumbs:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Aaronp18 wrote:In Rummy we trust!

Start that thread good and early. :thumbs:
Before SKYO gets his hands on it! C'mon Rummy - you can do it!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Cornuck wrote: Before SKYO gets his hands on it! C'mon Rummy - you can do it!
Yeah SKYO, no tweaking at 3am and starting the GDT.

We're going with our #1 tomorrow!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I'll step up and get us another win, don't worry.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Rumsfeld wrote:I'll step up and get us another win, don't worry.
Yea rummy....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Rumsfeld wrote:I'll step up and get us another win, don't worry.
That's all we're askin' for - no pressure. ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Reefer2 wrote:Time for no change Willy to shake things up.

First - put Horvat on the 2nd line with Vrbata
Second - play the Sedins 20 minutes and the 2nd line 17 - 18
herb wrote: Time for WD to make some adjustments. Move Horvat and Hansen up with Vrbata. Play the Horvat and Sedin lines 20 minutes each on Tuesday.
I was thinking the same thing, time for Uncle Willy D to change the lines a bit. I'm not sure I'd put BoHo on the 2nd line just yet, though it's definitely worth considering. I was thinking more along the lines of:

1) Dank-Hank-Burr
2) Matthias-Bones-Verbata (hopefully Matthias's size can help open it up for Bones and Verbata a bit)
3) Higgy-BoHo-Hansen (solid 2-way trio)
4) Kenins-Richie-Dorsett

I'd roll 3 lines, use our 4th line a bit more sparingly. Richie Rich seems a bit weak on his skates and seems to be still recovering. Use his line more sparingly, on PKs, defensive situations, to create energy and what not. Too bad Kassassian is out, we could really use him in a series like this and I think he's the type of guy who can step it up in the playoffs.

On D, I think we should sub in Stanton for Weber. We'll miss Web's big shot, but Calgary is playing physical on us and they specifically targeted him when the game was close and it worked. I think Stanton is more steady on D and can handle the physcial game better.

1) Edler-Tanev
2) Hammer-Pizzaman
3) Stanton-Bieksa

In net, I think it's a flip of the coin. Lack was great in games #1+#2, but got lite up a bit in game #3, although can't really fault him. MillerTime has proven he can be a money goalie and we paid him him big bucks to play in these situations. Since we have him, might as well use him. If we lose, we can go back with Lack for game #5.