GDT: R1G1 - Canucks host Flames - 7pm -

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: R1G1 - Canucks host Flames - 7pm -

Post by Meds »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:The game could have gone either way IMO and I don't think the Canucks played bad at all.

Alot of shit is getting thrown Sbisa and Bieksa's way after that GWG but I think everyone on the ice was guilty there. Bo included. Hansen and Kenins standing around, etc.... just an ugly display of defending.

We out-chanced them and should have capitalized early. I agree with Mëds that we should have put the game away when we had the chance. Hiller kept them in it and deserved the win. We will win tomorrow.
The "standing around" was due to the fact that they were totally gassed. Failed attempts to clear the puck kept them pinned in with no legs.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

In order to win in 5,6 or 7.... You have to lose...1,2 or 3 games..

We are right on track.... :drink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

rats19 wrote:In order to win in 5,6 or 7.... You have to lose...1,2 or 3 games..

Not really upset, just disappointed that we let a very winnable game slip away.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote: Lack was fine overall. Damn good at times. I doubt he liked the Russell goal, but those low percentage shots go in every once in a while.

I Kinda doubt he saw that shot all the way.....

At the other end there were a number of saves that Hiller made on similar shots and you could see his reaction afterwards where he's scrambling for the puck that just hit him but he has to find it. Puck luck and all that. Our net presence sucked though.

Dank needs to learn to lift the puck when he gets grade A chances in front. Too much just shoveling it at the net when there is time to make a play or get a better shot.
Aaron Ward pointed out that the David Jones goal should have never happened because the play should have been waved down for a high stick. Controversy!
I've watched the replays a dozen time and don't see a high stick anywhere for the 10-15 seconds leading up to the goal, or on the goal..... :eh:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:
rats19 wrote:In order to win in 5,6 or 7.... You have to lose...1,2 or 3 games..

Not really upset, just disappointed that we let a very winnable game slip away.
Calgary is a very beatable team. We just decided to bring our "A" game for all of 15 minutes last night, and I think we iced our "D-minus" finishing ability in that time....
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Mëds wrote: I've watched the replays a dozen time and don't see a high stick anywhere for the 10-15 seconds leading up to the goal, or on the goal..... :eh:
Check it! 2:45 Wardo explains it.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Canucks need to play 60 minutes and be far more physical. Especially on 18 year olds, small defenseman and kids who call themselves Hockey.

:evil:
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

herb wrote: The second line was an adventure. Bonino made a couple nice defensive plays, but Vrbata looked really off and Higgins kind of whiffed on a couple of chances early.
Agree on Vrbata, he looked off.

On the Flames 1st goal, you give Weber the obvious 1st assist, but Vrbata gets the secondary that goes a bit under the radar.

When the Canucks got possession Weber made a nice quick outlet pass to Vrbata, which should have sent the Canucks up ice with speed and a potential 3-on-2. Instead, Vrbata botches the pass, allowing Calgary to chip it back in and pressure with numbers. It's scrambly, Weber instantly turns it over, and we know how it ends.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

A pretty big miss by the officials. What stings the most is that the Canucks would have been able to finish their line change on D had their been a whistle. Sbisa and Weber, the weakest Dmen, were out on that goal, and I am assuming that one of them was stuck out there because they do not play together.
Aaronp18 wrote:and kids who call themselves Hockey.

LOL
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

KeyserSoze wrote: A pretty big miss by the officials. What stings the most is that the Canucks would have been able to finish their line change on D had their been a whistle. Sbisa and Weber, the weakest Dmen, were out on that goal, and I am assuming that one of them was stuck out there because they do not play together.
Definitely!

I didn`t even notice until watching SportsCentre later. The CBC crew didn`t notice, or chose to ignore it.

It was a momentum shift for sure, we still saw 2 turnovers at our blueline that led to that goal but tired legs lead to turnovers far more often than fresh ones!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

KeyserSoze wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:and kids who call themselves Hockey.

LOL
Oh and too add Monohan, who is aparently nursing some sore shoulders (was mentioned he`s wearing larger shoulder pads after that final reg season game). Which my guess would be a mild separation.

Pound the fuck out of him and separate that fucking thing even more!!!
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

My wife saw Brian Burke in the press box and said "Oh my God, is that Brian Burke? What happened?" I just laughed.

I don't think I've seen the Canucks so exhausted so many times throughout a game. I thought it was evident near the end of every period. I know age is starting to show, but considering WDs propensity for rolling four lines, I was a bit surprised.

I'm sure Craig Simpson woke up this morning with a sore jaw.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

If we do get to see Kass again this year, tell him that his job is to get to the front of the net and permanently stay there. That will help keep the defenders spread out a bit watching him at the net the Sedins cycling their bikes and weber/edler or someone teeing up a home run from the blueline. The more movement you get out of Calgary, the less energy they have for the 3rd period. The bigger the azzhole in front of the net, the less the goalie sees. Dont give a Calgary defender free time to loaf around the blue line looking for a breakout pass - make him chase a puck somewhere. At least that way, if he does get the breakout he is gassed and not as dangerous.

All starts with having big body permanently parked in front of net.

Oh and get that damm puck out of your own zone
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

lostinarink wrote:If we do get to see Kass again this year, tell him that his job is to get to the front of the net and permanently stay there. That will help keep the defenders spread out a bit watching him at the net the Sedins cycling their bikes and weber/edler or someone teeing up a home run from the blueline. The more movement you get out of Calgary, the less energy they have for the 3rd period. The bigger the azzhole in front of the net, the less the goalie sees. Dont give a Calgary defender free time to loaf around the blue line looking for a breakout pass - make him chase a puck somewhere. At least that way, if he does get the breakout he is gassed and not as dangerous.

All starts with having big body permanently parked in front of net.

Oh and get that damm puck out of your own zone
Come back the future of hockey my friend, where that shit don't fly anymore. It did back in the day, old school Rock Em Sock Em Don Cherry hockey, but those days went the way of the Dodo Bird
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:
C'mon Dude, it's way to early for you to be double fisting the long necks.

I agree that their speed and tenacity was too much. But they didn't really scare me with skill.
If the Sedins can play their best, then I'm not worried, but if the Sedins ain't leading us to the promise land since we have nobody else who can step it up outside of them, then the youthful skillset of Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett and the elder Hudler will for the Flames
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau