GDT- *A Farewell to Kings* - 4/6/15, 7pm - Rogers Arena, SNP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT- *A Farewell to Kings* - 4/6/15, 7pm - Rogers Arena,

Post by dangler »

Uncle dans leg wrote: I also have been fairly impressed with Pizza man. He's quietly taken some large strides of late and is one of the few on our ass end that can lay dudes out with authority.
Willies stuck with Sbisa,Bonino and Vey all season, even when alot of coaches would have benched them for ineffective play, and it's paid off, especially with Sbisa and Bonino.
The previous coaches would be benching and line shuffling, but Willie just stays the course and works things out.
His confidence in Higgins was rewarded last night as well,the guy rattles 2 off the post in back to back games but Willie puts him in the shootout anyway and his confidence is rewarded.
I really like how the team is playing heading into the playoffs other than the slow starts
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Ignore the Vey bashing UDL, it's the ringleader Blob McKenzie. He doesn't want anyone to jeopardize a starting position for his boi Zack Lazy Bones Kassian
What do you see in Vey to justify him in the lineup, and his PP time?
Do you see Vey developing in to a top 6 foreward?
Vey bashing is almost as common around these parts as Christopher "Clutch" Higgins bashing.

Vey's 10 goals and 13 assists in 73 games is decent for a rookie season. 35-40 points (i.e. second line production) down the road certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. I wouldn't give up on him at this point. Would you?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:Ignore the Vey bashing UDL, it's the ringleader Blob McKenzie. He doesn't want anyone to jeopardize a starting position for his boi Zack Lazy Bones Kassian
Very is still young...as is Kassian. Both have major warts...both bring different things that are needed at different times.
Big Zack will be valuable when the shit hits the fan, Vey not so much at this point in his career.
The key for Zack will be to draw penalties but not take them...if he can figure that out and finish more of his checks he will be in our top 6
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Vey is just too soft.

His defensive warts are as bad, or worse, than Kassian's. He plays zero physical game, and is easily rubbed off of the puck.

Comparing a soft, weakish, defensively poor, center to a physical, strong, defensively below-average, winger.....can't really see why you would want to, but if you must then you go with the guy who isn't pushed around in every area of the ice.

Great effort from around the middle mark of the 1st period.

It was interesting to watch the ebb and flow of momentum in this one. The Canucks took the reigns late in the first and held onto them for the majority of time between then and Dank's tying goal in the 3rd. Then it went back and forth slightly with the Kings pressing a bit more until the final horn. OT was a wash.

With about 5 minutes left it was obvious that the Canucks were going to play for the single point. The game within the game. They absolutely had to get a single point in this one, and it is the one time that I actually endorsed the conservative approach. Had we blown it and given the a clear 2 points they would be but a point behind us, ensuring the single point meant keeping a full game of separation where we hold the tie breaker. We have a penchant for coughing the puck up at the point and giving up odd-man rushes (or breakaways) to teams with aggressive forwards who pressure our d-men up high, and we aren't the strongest puck handling team when it comes to the blueline corps. The Kings are a team that thrives on those kind of turnovers, we did a decent job of negating that and keeping them to the outside.

Lack played his best in a while.

Despite what Topper and a few others have said, I think Hamhuis is looking closer to being 100% now than he has in about 2 seasons. The poor defensive plays at times is more a mental thing, I think. He's more physical than I've seen since 2011, and has stepped up with some big hits. Maybe Torts nailed it with him, he's a cerebral player and when that's not clicking he makes mistakes. Physically I think he's as good as we've seen since before his run-in with Lucic in the finals.

The Sedins played like they wanted it. I wonder if they saw Wid's comment about the mirror, Nazzy, and choking? :look:

Burrows is becoming a factor again.....and at just the right time. He's the of the stuff that gets up for the post-season. That first line might just have figured out that they don't have many chances left and are ready to leave it all on the ice. Nothing would be sweeter than seeing that trio lead us deep into the playoffs again.

I saw Matthias actually play the body a few times too. :shock:

To be honest though, the true stars of this game were Blobcat and RD.....kudos to them for a rather entertaining GDT. LOL!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Today I bite the head off a fish and saw the replay of the goal.

Both brought tears to my eyes.

Thank God for sake.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Vey sees the ice fairly well, has good quickness, a nose for the net and a decent set of hands.

Yes he's small, gets pushed off pucks and needs to come back harder but at just 23 there's still more development to wait through...

The comparable with ZK is he's always somebody's goat and is still young. You gotta wait for the wine or you get the vinegar
If you need air...call it in
Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime »

Strangelove wrote:^ You're beautiful when you're angry Wids. :blush:

ANYTHING.... can happen in the playoffs. :thumbs:

Reef and DC4PM can [mod edit]
She is. What an inspiring post! Hey we made the playoffs! Anything can happen now....a lot of pleasant surprises this year. Lack, Tanev, Edler, Horvat, Kenins, Matthias, Burrows,Weber and the ever special Zack at times. :)