GDT: April 4/15, Canucks@Jets. 12:00pm, SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: April 4/15, Canucks@Jets. 12:00pm, SN

Post by Tiger »

Mëds Wrote :
Baertshi actually didn't look too bad considering he got one practice in with the team after a day of no sleep, and then into the fire against a Jets team that would almost certainly be in 2nd place and locked into the playoffs if they were in our division. New linemates, new team, on the road.....a very tough situation for the kid.

He had a good first period. That penalty in the offensive zone in the 2nd was bad, after that he didn't get as much time.....or at least I didn't notice him.

2 penalties .. and coughed up the puck several times including the 5th goal .. Color him GONE .. :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

SKYO wrote:Higgins gone bro.
SKYO wrote: Higgins gone....
SKYO wrote:
Higgins' gone, basically who doesn't perform these last few game/hopefullplayoffs are gone.
Here we go with the Higgins hate, like he's the only thing holding them back. :?
If Benning wants to see them go somewhere in the playoffs he needs some depth guys like Richardson & Higgins, not defensively challenged Pizza man and Turno-Vey machine. :roll:
Tiger wrote:Shit... Sven back to the AHL..
lets hope Miller is ready for the final games..
Lack was lacking..
Hansen Horvath need a vet on wing not a rookie.
Ho/Ha/Hi line ? ( Higgins )

Triple-H line? :D
Kassian with Bonino and Vibrator ?
Let's hope Kass brings his A game
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:Tired team is tired.
Well it's not like they are going to get a rest in the playoffs....
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I look in the mirror and I see Marcus Naslund staring back. I close my eyes and I hear " we choked" please say it ain't' so.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote:I look in the mirror and I see Marcus Naslund staring back. I close my eyes and I hear " we choked" please say it ain't' so.
I agree HW, time for this team to show what it's made of.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The team looked unprepared for the first half of the third, by the time Dank tied it up on a beauty setup from Vrbata they had begun retaking the momentum.

Enter a bad change and Linden Vey. I don't know how he gets so confused as to let Stempniak go alone on the weakside.

I'm not sure what possesses Willie D to put Vey's line over the boards the second shift after we tie the game. He is the worst defensive forward on the team, and far and away the softest, weakest, forward we have.

Higgins should be gonzo. Every time he gets the puck in our zone on the halfboards under pressure it is almost a given that the puck will be turned over and not exit the zone. He doesn't have the speed to be a threat on the 3rd line as a forechecker. Move him out while he might still fetch a return.

Lack needs a break, Miller can't get back soon enough. As much as the team served up some serious dogshit in the first, this game can be hung on Lack. The 4th and 5th goals were stoppable and he flubbed the former and completely misplayed the latter. We are seeing what we saw from him last year, a young goaltender who isn't ready for this workload but is forced into it because the team doesn't have a backup that they trust.

As I said before, I didn't mind Baertschi's first game. However, if he's gonna be out there with Horvat then maybe the ideal RW'er for them is Vrbata. A savvy Vet who is a threat on any line so far and makes his mates better. Horvat is as good as Bonino, stronger, probably as fast, and better defensively and in the circle. I can't see Baertschi being worse than Higgins. If Vrbata can make that line go, then there is no reason he can't do the same for Bo and Sven.....if Sven is supposed to stick.

Bieksa with some really awful decisions again.

Refs were a question mark again. I just don't get the thought process of NHL officials. This year my beef is with the linesmen though. There seems to have been a bunch of calls made against us that the linesmen have really jumped up on.

Wids, I don't like what you're saying.....but I know exactly where you're coming from. 3 games to go. A win tomorrow probably locks us in ahead of LA, and nothing would be sweeter than to be the dagger in their season. I don't trust this group's ability to get it done in the clutch against Edmonton and Arizona, too much history of choking against those bottom feeder teams.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hey did we trade Higgins yet?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Hockey Widow wrote:[

Well there were a number of us that argued they are indeed a playoff team, but not a contender. Not everyone saw it as doom and gloom. We are good enough to make the playoffs but the only hope we have of getting out of round one is if we play the Flames and even that will be tough. If we draw LA we will be done. After the first round, the only hope we would have is there are first round upsets.

But ya, I really hope we turn over a few players.
I'm don't mind the Jets picking up a point or two, although it would have been nice to get at least a point.
Nice to see us score 4, with some improved goaltending we could have won that.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Hockey Widow wrote:I look in the mirror and I see Marcus Naslund staring back. I close my eyes and I hear " we choked" please say it ain't' so.
was that 1 or 2 years after his "Lacking the Pieces" post season comment? :D
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Its all gravy to me...we have done better than I thought they would and next year will even be better.

Then after next year we become a threat for a 5 year window and I pray....we get the grail sometime in there.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

rats19 wrote:Its all gravy to me...we have done better than I thought they would and next year will even be better.
If they can't get into the playoffs now they really don't deserve it.
They could go 1-1-1 and almost certain to get in.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

99.1% right now. Was 99.8% before loss to jets.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Mëds said :
As I said before, I didn't mind Baertschi's first game. However, if he's gonna be out there with Horvat then maybe the ideal RW'er for them is Vrbata. A savvy Vet who is a threat on any line so far and makes his mates better. Horvat is as good as Bonino, stronger, probably as fast, and better defensively and in the circle. I can't see Baertschi being worse than Higgins. If Vrbata can make that line go, then there is no reason he can't do the same for Bo and Sven.....if Sven is supposed to stick.

Dunno Mëds.. last time I looked Higgins had the second best +/- of all forwards and is a key player on our PK.. Horvat is usually our best FO center.. but makes the odd rookie mistake ..Putting him between Hansen and Higgins means he has 2 vets to play with .. Not a rookie like Baertschi.. It would make a good defensive unit with the power to counterpunch and score goals..

Besides I like the Hi Ho Ha line idea :)

Kassian with Bonino and Vrbata gives us a real 2nd line scoring threat.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Higgins being the likeable good guy that fans endear themselves to is clouding their judgement on his true worth
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:Higgins being the likeable good guy that fans endear themselves to is clouding their judgement on his true worth
There is nothing endearing about a guy who is the antithesis of "clutch".

As for a Hi-Ho-Ha line.....ridiculous.

I don't get Tiger's process on this one. Baertschi has more offensive upside than Higgins, by a long shot. He's faster, just a few more warts on his two-way game. Horvat >> Bonino. Bo goes to the net harder, distributes the puck equally, wins more faceoffs, is just as good (probably better) defensively, and stronger on the wall. If Vrbata can turn a line that includes Bonino and Kassian into a "real 2nd line scoring threat", he could just as easily do the same with Horvat and Baertschi.....at least he wouldn't be the only guy with a legitimate 2-way IQ.