GDT: Philly vs Canucks -17-3-15 - Pat Quinn Day

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Philly vs Canucks -17-3-15 - Pat Quinn Day

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mëds wrote: Burrows is almost never invisible out there. He always does something, he blocks shots, turns in hard shifts, and provides energy in some way.

Higgins is a continual disappearing act.

Hansen doesn't have Burrows all-round smarts, but he's a better option than Higgins.
Then dump both Hansen and Higgins and keep Burrows.
Blob is not wrong. This team needs to get younger, it needs to get rid of some of these tweeners, and unfortunately for Burrows, he fits that category now.
Oh here we go again with the Higgins/Hansen rant... :roll:

We're getting exactly what we should expect from 3rd line wingers earning $2.5 mil - 10-15 goals, 35 - 40 points, good on the PK and solid effort.

Island Nucklehead wrote: ] Yes, he's great with the Sedins, and yes his play away from the puck / on the PK is more than adequate, but the Canucks need to decide what path they're going to take moving forward. The salary cap forces a pretty cold reality on teams. Mike Richards was a huge part of the Kings cup teams and cost them a lot of good assets, and look at him now.
Richards had 5 goals,15 points and -7 in 47 games, so an 8/25 & -12 pace for a full season - on a 7 million salary.
Completely different situation from Higgins - giving you 10 goals and 35 points and a +12, on a 2.5 million salary.

You want to trade all the vets and have a team with Sedins + all rookies?
You've already got a team like that - the Oilers. :roll:

Island Nucklehead wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Really don't understand the what have you done for us lately crowd when it comes to Burrows. Wasn't he the guy that gave discounts on his previous contracts when he was producing more?

The guy has bled for the team and is a true professional. He deserves the current contract when you take all of his years on this team together. Dumping him now, just because he's starting to get long in the tooth would say a lot of negative things about this organization.

How do you convince free agents to settle here if you treat your veterans like so much meat?
How do you convince free agents to settle here if you have no money to pay them or roster spots for them to occupy?
You treat them well and honour the deals that you sign.

Island Nucklehead wrote: It really depends on what the organization wants for itself. We were successful when we had players out-performing their deals. We can continue to say "but he's been so great for us in the past, we can't move on from him now", and the team will get worse as these guys slide into mediocrity. Or we can say "he's been so great for us in the past, but we need to keep moving forward".
We were NOT successful in bringing a cup to Vancouver in 2011 when we had a 3rd line of limited effectiveness (Lapierre was not a viable 3rd line center in Vancouver) and a 4th line (Hogeson, Tambellini, Oreskovich, Glass, Malhotra, Bolduc) who produced a grand total of 1 assist in the entire playoffs, and went a -19 while doing it. :?

I like the Kenins/Horvat/Hansen line, and the Dorsett/Higgins/Mathias/Richardson line as our bottom 6, and I can see them producing offence in the playoffs, and a definite upgrade over 2011.
Island Nucklehead wrote: I would say that seeing what the "next generation" can do is more exciting than watching the old guard fade away. Ultimately, there's only so many spots for veteran, "glory days" players, and the Sedins deserve to occupy two of those spots (and the team absolutely still needs their production). There isn't anything significant on the immidiate horizon on the back-end, so Bieksa and Hamhuis are likely safe. The forwards appear to have the most help on the way (Kenins, Baertschi, Virtanen etc.), and the organization needs to get some of these guys into the lineup. Burrows, Higgins, Hansen... all need to earn their spots, and with a salary cap they all need to provide (at minimum) a decent value for their role.
[/quote]

Kenins can stay with the team
Virtaanen & McCann need another year (at least) to develop.

I'd say Kassian & Bonino have another year (maybe) to prove that they're legitimate top 6 forwards or else they're gone and make room for the prospects
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I would only trade Burrows for a hockey return, not a cap dump. He still has a ton of value. I still think he could help a team like Montreal go deep into the playoffs. He may in fact be the type of player they are missing.

Higgins I would move out. Hansen I'd keep.
The only HW the Canucks need
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Hockey Widow wrote:I would only trade Burrows for a hockey return, not a cap dump. He still has a ton of value. I still think he could help a team like Montreal go deep into the playoffs. He may in fact be the type of player they are missing.

Also depends if they resign Matthias, or if he flys off in search of crazy money as a free agent.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Zamboni Driver wrote: Oh here we go again with the Higgins/Hansen rant... :roll:

We're getting exactly what we should expect from 3rd line wingers earning $2.5 mil - 10-15 goals, 35 - 40 points, good on the PK and solid effort.
3rd line?!? Higgins has played a majority of the season with Bonino and Burrows. More than 50% of the time Bonino has been his centre. That's not "3rd line". That's top-6 bud.
Zamboni wrote: You want to trade all the vets and have a team with Sedins + all rookies?
You've already got a team like that - the Oilers. :roll:
Stick to driving the zamboni... I didn't say trade all the vets. In fact I said there are roles for lots of them (notice how I said keep Sedins, Bieksa, Hamhuis move Burrows OR Higgins+Hansen?). I said we need to get some roster spots open for our kids coming up. I said we have too many tweeners. I said I don't really care who goes, but we shouldn't be deciding roster spots based on fond memories.

And since when do the Oilers have any vets of the Sedins calibre? :stupid:
Zamboni wrote:You treat them well and honour the deals that you sign.
That's rich.
Zamboni wrote: We were NOT successful in bringing a cup to Vancouver in 2011 when we had a 3rd line of limited effectiveness (Lapierre was not a viable 3rd line center in Vancouver) and a 4th line (Hogeson, Tambellini, Oreskovich, Glass, Malhotra, Bolduc) who produced a grand total of 1 assist in the entire playoffs, and went a -19 while doing it. :?

I like the Kenins/Horvat/Hansen line, and the Dorsett/Higgins/Mathias/Richardson line as our bottom 6, and I can see them producing offence in the playoffs, and a definite upgrade over 2011.
Why are you bringing up 2011? Bolduc played 3 games. Lapierre wasn't supposed to be our 3rd line Centre, that would've been Manny if he didn't go near-cyclops... Why are we talking 2011? Oh right, because everyone remembers Burr "slaying the Dragon" and wants him to stay on the team forever...

Ultimately, something's gotta give, and in my mind, I'd prefer to keep the younger guys (who happen to cost less) and go after a real top-6 forward, not plug one of our excess depth players into that role. If a guy like Kenins can bring something similar to Hansen for $1.5M less, perfect. If a guy like Baertschi can provide a better top-6 presence than Higgins, perfect.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The zamboni driver should change his shitty handle to zamboni victim .

Dude must have bald ankles after that .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:I would only trade Burrows for a hockey return, not a cap dump. He still has a ton of value. I still think he could help a team like Montreal go deep into the playoffs. He may in fact be the type of player they are missing.

H dub wades in with common sense yet again !

Burrows for a hockey trade is acceptable on all sides

Higgins for a pick or what have you is just life in the NHL

And Hansen is the new Burrows
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Just ate a super-potent strawberry sativa pot cookie.

LOL it has three warnings written on the wrapper. "Very Strong" it declares obnoxiously, with nary a fuck felt by the consumer (me). "Break it in to Triangles", whines the next lame-ass suggestion as you spin the cookie to continue reading. "Call Medical Services if vomitimg is induced" is scrawled in a laughably gay red font on the final section of the cookie wrapper.

Well I washed it down with two beers, a large glass of pinot, a mezcal shot and roughtly 5 mg of ativan.

Awesome commentary may well be forthcoming. Stick around bros, big winc oming up... and a big stroke if I don't drink some water says the nurse.

:drink:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

^^^ no rails^^^ ?

Yeah right
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Rumsfeld wrote:Just ate a super-potent strawberry sativa pot cookie.

LOL it has three warnings written on the wrapper. "Very Strong" it declares obnoxiously, with nary a fuck felt by the consumer (me). "Break it in to Triangles", whines the next lame-ass suggestion as you spin the cookie to continue reading. "Call Medical Services if vomitimg is induced" is scrawled in a laughably gay red font on the final section of the cookie wrapper.

Well I washed it down with two beers, a large glass of pinot, a mezcal shot and roughtly 5 mg of ativan.

Awesome commentary may well be forthcoming. Stick around bros, big winc oming up... and a big stroke if I don't drink some water says the nurse.

It might kicked in..... (since you're in the GDT from a few days ago)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Cornuck wrote:

\

Frack that is funny Cor, freaking funny. I almost splashed coffee all over my keyboard.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Reefer2 wrote:
Cornuck wrote:

\

Frack that is funny Cor, freaking funny. I almost splashed coffee all over my keyboard.
:lol: He's probably wondering why the male nurse calls him honey this morning
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Haha, oh yeah. This happened.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society