GDT: 9/11/14 Canucks vs Ducks 6:00 pm (CITY)

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Re: GDT: 9/11/14 Canucks vs Ducks 6:00 pm (CITY)

Post by kelowna kanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:
kelowna kanuck wrote:great win Canucks! Bet there's not a single person on this board who thought this road trip would end up like this... Certainly I didn't

Just Doc :mrgreen:
oh yeah.. Good point.
more cap space!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BAHAHAAHAHAAA at Kesler.

3-1 through Colorado and California. Can't complain about that at all!

BIG WIN for Eddie tonight.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

The play where Kesler was in the slot calling for a pass that never came was pure ironic pleasure.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Eddie Lack Attack Pack! Great to see him finally get his first win of the season. He played great, held the fort and gave the team a chance to win. The last few minutes of the game there, Anaheim had some good pressure, it looked like they were going to score. We had the best goaltending tandem for awhile there with Lou/Schneids, hopefully we'll have another great combo in Miller/Lack. We also have Markstrom standing on his head in the minors. I know it's still very early, but the once goalie graveyard is now turning into the goalie factory. :lol:

WTF? Who the hell is Defazio? I don't get it, no Shinkaruk, no Gaunce, no Lain, no Fox, no Archibald, but Defazio? Good plumber type I guess, drew a penalty.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

5thhorseman wrote:The play where Kesler was in the slot calling for a pass that never came was pure ironic pleasure.
*Haha* Yeah. I would of like to see one of our guys fight him or give him a shot or something. Oh well, I'll take the win over Kes and the Duckies. Kes can* suck it! :lol:
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime »

Per wrote:I'm at a Läck for words! :D
I am as well. Splendid comeback for Mr. Lack. He will be fine things just take time...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments.
So this is what beer league at speed looks like. A disjointed affair of two teams of limping wounded. DeFazio-Horvat-Jensen??????

Was that Kevin Bieksa's "I'm going down with the ship" statement to Ryan Kesler 3 seconds in?

Right handed shots need only apply for Sedin wingman. To which Zach yells "Hip, Hip Hor.......oh damn".

Kesler REALLY wanted a win and I was happy his dream ended with a clang. I wonder what Eddie said to him as he skated by?

Get through Tuesday and the sched lightens (2 games in a week) to practice and get healthy.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:A few comments.
So this is what beer league at speed looks like. A disjointed affair of two teams of limping wounded. DeFazio-Horvat-Jensen??????

Was that Kevin Bieksa's "I'm going down with the ship" statement to Ryan Kesler 3 seconds in?

Right handed shots need only apply for Sedin wingman. To which Zach yells "Hip, Hip Hor.......oh damn".

Kesler REALLY wanted a win and I was happy his dream ended with a clang. I wonder what Eddie said to him as he skated by?

Get through Tuesday and the sched lightens (2 games in a week) to practice and get healthy.
Looking at the road trip, it wasn't really a good test.

We have been getting blown out in games or just holding on for wins.

Wille has the new boys playing with a good system and the old with a better work ethic but when encountering elite teams and/or talent we are failing.

Lack & Miller will only be able to cover for our depth issues for so long. GMJB better be getting some help on defence come the New Year.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The game was the first game where WD could not, or would not, roll four lines throughout. I was confused that he didn't try Jensen with the twins and keep Hansen on the 4th line. Or why Horvat didn't centre the third line keeping Vey on the fourth. Why did he want all three call ups on the fourth together? Wasn't that a recipe for disaster?

I get why in a tight 1-1 game you shorten the bench but the Jensen move was the one that really confused me.

Nonetheless, we won so hard to critizise his moves.

Matthias is really impressing with his hard work and defensive abilities. Hopefully it will translate into more points.

Hopefully none of the walking wounded will be gone for too long. But with some time at home WD will have time to rework the lineup if he needs to. I guess trying to redo everything on the fly with so many hurt just wasn't feasible. Get some rest, get some practice, try me combos, get reset.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Arachnid wrote:

Wille has the new boys playing with a good system and the old with a better work ethic but when encountering elite teams and/or talent we are failing.

Lack & Miller will only be able to cover for our depth issues for so long. GMJB better be getting some help on defence come the New Year.

It must be hard, this balancing act between being the Canucks biggest supporter and the biggest naysayer, at the same time :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

First, it was a great test. One that solidified exactly what our problems and weak areas are. We came away with 6 points, only 2 of which were stolen by Miller. We got horribly out played by SJS and LA. We measured up to, our depleted line up for their depleted line up, Ducks. We got blown out in one game where we hung on for a win, the SJS game. We got blown out in the LA game without a sniff of a point.

The Canucks currently lead the league in winning 1 goal games. This is a significant improvement over last year. The fact we are hanging on is a huge improvement over last year.

I would agree that even though this was a successful road trip, points wise, it shows us exactly how far we need to go yet. We are not back to elite status, not close. We don't measure up against the big boys in Cali, yet. But finding ways to win is huge. So Ya WD has the boys playing a fine system. And yes Miller has been lights out,except when he's not, and Lack was very solid last night.

As measuring sticks go, we passed the test. Somehow, someway we passed. But hell no, we are still not an elite squad.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I get the feeling that lefties will not be used......for now.

Willie appears to be very old school when putting the line up together.

Agree with your comments on Mathias. I was thinking that third line is a very good tutelage for Kassian. Mathias is a big body, smart defensively and able to play the PK. Richardson is the same in a slightly smaller body as well as being a leader both on and off the ice. Some effort and osmosis could help Zach's consistency.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Arachnid wrote:

It must be hard, this balancing act between being the Canucks biggest supporter and the biggest naysayer, at the same time :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

First, it was a great test. One that solidified exactly what our problems and weak areas are. We came away with 6 points, only 2 of which were stolen by Miller. We got horribly out played by SJS and LA. We measured up to, our depleted line up for their depleted line up, Ducks. We got blown out in one game where we hung on for a win, the SJS game. We got blown out in the LA game without a sniff of a point.

The Canucks currently lead the league in winning 1 goal games. This is a significant improvement over last year. The fact we are hanging on is a huge improvement over last year.

I would agree that even though this was a successful road trip, points wise, it shows us exactly how far we need to go yet. We are not back to elite status, not close. We don't measure up against the big boys in Cali, yet. But finding ways to win is huge. So Ya WD has the boys playing a fine system. And yes Miller has been lights out,except when he's not, and Lack was very solid last night.

As measuring sticks go, we passed the test. Somehow, someway we passed. But hell no, we are still not an elite squad.
I am nothing, if not entertaining, no?! ;)

It was a skewed test. We still have games coming up with ChokeCogO and a more consistent Blues team. Not to mention the high flying Phlems.

Still giving it the 20-25 game mark before the report cards come out.

:devil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Is anyone confident of a goal when Hansen gets a breakaway?

Does being confident that he won't score count? I think back to the 4-5 breakaways he had in the finals and I don't think he scored on a single one.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Great win.

Really liked the team's grit except the shot after the whistle. With the 2 tough guys gone there was no piss and vinegar on the team.
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

As far as whether or not the Canucks have been tested yet...

They've played 6 of their 16 games against top tier teams, and come away with the win in four of those games.

They've played 5 of their games against middling teams and have only come out of these with 4 of 10 points.

They've played 5 games against the so called "losers" of the league, and have won every one of these games.

Seems to me a pretty even sample of bottom, middle and top tier teams, and they've won all the games they reasonably should be expected to win... Many of the games they had not much business winning, and have probably underachieved against the teams in the middle.

Bottom line for me, is that they do not appear to be consistently playing over their heads, and sit way up in the standings. They've shown that they are able to elevate their game against elite opposition at times, while not allowing lesser competition to elevate against them.