GDT: Canucks vs Sharks - 2 split squad games 9/24

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Sharks - 2 split squad games 9/24

Post by SKYO »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:
SKYO wrote: Hunter looking the most ready for full time NHL play.
He'll start in the A but pretty sure we'll see him up this year for some part time duty, likely when the inevitable scoring woes hit the team mid season. Not to make too much out of one game though.
Hunter Shinkaruk getting some props from Tony Gallagher, which is a surprise from mr grumpy.
'Gallagher: Canucks' Shinkaruk and Horvat show pleasing preseason pattern'

Take the Hunter Shinkaruk pattern, for instance. Last year he was only allowed to play preseason games, and scored on a regular basis in the tilts he was permitted to appear in. Cue the hip problems, surgery and long recovery period, and back to this preseason.

First game, he scores again in the Vancouver Canucks’ 4-2 win over San Jose at Rogers Arena. Means nothing, of course, given the kid is almost dead certain to begin his pro career in Utica, where, with luck, he will prove to the horde of management and coaching types in the Trevor Linden regime that he can score there with some regularity.

Further, he might establish the belief among the majority of said horde that there might be a reasonable belief he will be able to replicate these preseason goals in the regular season.

And, in this organization, anyone scoring goals anywhere, preseason or not, is going to be somebody raising eyebrows and raising at least some hope this offensive slumber the team appears destined for again this season won’t last forever.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hocke ... story.html
This team needs goals, Shinkaruk seems the most likely to provide that with some consistency, has has shown clearly that he has elite pro hands/skill/deking/stick handling/passing, shooting accuracy, not to mention his enthusiasm for scoring that elite goal scorers must possess.

Horvat looking like the all-round center we are hoping for, with scoring a bonus.

Vey pretty much a lock.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

SKYO wrote:
Nuckertuzzi wrote:
SKYO wrote: Hunter looking the most ready for full time NHL play.
He'll start in the A but pretty sure we'll see him up this year for some part time duty, likely when the inevitable scoring woes hit the team mid season. Not to make too much out of one game though.
Hunter Shinkaruk getting some props from Tony Gallagher, which is a surprise from mr grumpy.
'Gallagher: Canucks' Shinkaruk and Horvat show pleasing preseason pattern'

Take the Hunter Shinkaruk pattern, for instance. Last year he was only allowed to play preseason games, and scored on a regular basis in the tilts he was permitted to appear in. Cue the hip problems, surgery and long recovery period, and back to this preseason.

First game, he scores again in the Vancouver Canucks’ 4-2 win over San Jose at Rogers Arena. Means nothing, of course, given the kid is almost dead certain to begin his pro career in Utica, where, with luck, he will prove to the horde of management and coaching types in the Trevor Linden regime that he can score there with some regularity.

Further, he might establish the belief among the majority of said horde that there might be a reasonable belief he will be able to replicate these preseason goals in the regular season.

And, in this organization, anyone scoring goals anywhere, preseason or not, is going to be somebody raising eyebrows and raising at least some hope this offensive slumber the team appears destined for again this season won’t last forever.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hocke ... story.html
This team needs goals, Shinkaruk seems the most likely to provide that with some consistency, has has shown clearly that he has elite pro hands/skill/deking/stick handling/passing, shooting accuracy, not to mention his enthusiasm for scoring that elite goal scorers must possess.

Horvat looking like the all-round center we are hoping for, with scoring a bonus.

Vey pretty much a lock.
That fucking Gagaher read my post :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Arachnid wrote: That fucking Gagaher read my post :evil:
lol, I hate him as well, but when his posts agree's with mine, I shall promote it for some validation of my hockey thoughts. ahaha
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

RoyalDude wrote:It amazes me, Vey has one good rush, shoots it at goalies chest scores an empty netter, passes puck to point, deflects off Shinkaruk, Subban shoots it, defects on way in, somehow is credited with an assist on a goalmouth scramble and some are calling his performance out of this world. His play away from the puck is awful. Give me Horvats 200 foot game any day of the week

Yes but a prospect is a prospect...something we sorely lack, as you/we are all well aware. If he's one of those guys who gets mostly excuse-me points, who cares as long as he gets them regularly. At 23 he can improve on the other important areas of the game. Let's focus on the stuff we don't have nearly enough of.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

The one play from Bo that stood out for me was how effortless it was for him to bounce a Shark off the puck and skate away with it. It's plays like these that coaches love and something he has a clear advantage over the other rooks.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vey will need to improve massively at his overall game, he's very one dimensional and he isn't even exceptional at that one dimension

Bo knows
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The dude is fixing his sights on the next target...

Had trouble watching the game on my shitty little camp TV but from what I saw he can really skate and the puck seems to follow him.

Then again I thought Subban played good then gets demoted the very next day.

Fuck it, this season is looking like it'll go well with a couple bowls and a few snifters for game nights.

Yeah man.
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Let's all take a deep breath when it comes to Linden Vey, he's played what, 18 games in the NHL? Drafted 208th overall was it? Can't remember, the guy has a lot of weakenesses to his game, don't get to enamoured with the Steve Kariya flash n dash, he made a lot of glaring mistakes in last nights game. He's pretty awful at the 200 foot game in which every player has to play nowadays, unless you are Ovechkin elite skill set
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Meh ...... The dude is a puff of smoke in a posters uniform and a miserable one at that . Probably hollers in traffic and screams at the tv .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Uncle dans leg wrote:The dude is fixing his sights on the next target...

Had trouble watching the game on my shitty little camp TV but from what I saw he can really skate and the puck seems to follow him.

Then again I thought Subban played good then gets demoted the very next day.

Fuck it, this season is looking like it'll go well with a couple bowls and a few snifters for game nights.

Yeah man.

There was no way Subban was going to make the roster anyway, at least not this year. He is a few years away if ever, although I did like his game. Clearing him out now just gives others on the back end pre-season playing time.

Like Vey or not he is a lock on the team. No way he clears waivers and trader Jim isn't going to lose the asset he gave up a 2nd for. He may not have what it takes for a third line role but he may have enough offensive upside for a second line role. But I agree it is early days yet with him.

Horvat looks ready for the next step it's just a question if he is ready enough to unseat a vet at this point. If we really do carry three goalies we won't have a roster spot for him unless he does unseat a vet. I don't know if I buy the Benning line that a tie goes to the youngster in this regard but we will see.

It will be nice to see a game that isn't split squad to get a better idea of how Willie roles 4 lines.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Horvat will have to make the team based on a 200ft game with shitty wingers because bottom six is where he's be earning his stripes.

Gaggler caters to the fantasy hockey fan's fantasy
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.