GDT:March 10 - NYI at Nucks 7:00 PST SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Re: GDT:March 10 - NYI at Nucks 7:00 PST SNET

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

And that is why if u want to make the playoffs, u keep Lou around, at least till the end of the season. Sometimes when your team is starting to lose it, it's nice to make a goalie change. It buys u some time, gets the team refocused a bit and makes the boyz work harder cuz they don't want to let the other guy down. It's obvious Torts had no confidence to throw in Markstrom. If Aquaman really wanted to make the playoffs, he shot himself in the foot by trading away his franchise leader, olympian, #1 star goalie. U can't give the ball to a rookie goalie who has barely played 20 games. Even back in January, when Lou was injured a bit, Lack clearly showed he wasn't ready.

The game was quite entertaining for the most part, but to watch our guys blow the lead like that and let a team like the powerhouse Isles pop in 7 goals in the 3rd on us was just sad. Boy, I really feel for our guys. :cry: Hopefully, games like this will make it clear to our management and owners that it's time to blow up the team and rebuild. I just hope if we rebuild, we bring in a vetran goalie like Bob Essensa/Jamie McLennen, someone who knows they won't be the #1 guy, is a good team player and is willing to serve as a mentor to some of our young netminders like Markstrom, Ericsson and mainly Lack. Is Johan Hedberg still around? *hehe* I really don't want to see Lack shalacked every nite, it could ruin his confidence and destroy his career.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

Clear sign of management disarray - the fans were the not informed it was Harold Snepts Night until the third period.

DUMB! penalties dug a hole, mental lapse in the euphoria of Tanev's goal started shovelling dirt on the coffin.

Having an new one ripped by the Islanders is not what I think Doc means by the need for more assholes.

Nearly two good periods of hockey, four goals.

Those who believe the Aqualungs are meddling owners and GMMG is incompetent need to look no further than the success of Garth Snow/Charles Wang. Afterall, anyone with less than half a brain cell can see Dale Weise=Matt Moulson and Raphael Diaz is everything Thomas Vanek is.

Jack Capuano has a job today.

Islanders have a Stanley Cup on Renfrew and a Miracle on Arthur Griffiths Way.

Rich Peverley has enough heart to displace this game from the national headlines.
Last edited by Topper on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Topper wrote:Having an new one ripped by the Islanders is not what I think Doc means by the need for more assholes.
:lol: :lol:

My take:

Bachelor was on so naturally I was watching the game in the bedroom. I fell asleep at 3-0 in the 2nd period. I wish it would have ended there.

I woke up at the beginning of the third and was ready to shut it off. We all know what happened before I hit the power off button. I wish I would have just shut it off then and there at 3-1 but I had a feeling I wanted to slow down and watch the car wreck first hand.

I have never in my 25 years as a Canucks fan, have seen such a dissapointing display of hockey. Sure I remember the late 90's and all of the Messier BS but at least I was too preoccupied to give a shit. Information is so much more readily available now I get to see/hear/and feel my favourite team fall apart every day.

I love Eddie Lack but he wasn't exactly wrong when he shouldered the blame for the loss. Definitely could have made a save or two in the third.

Eddie doesn't look like the goalie that started the year with the club. People are bringing up the loss of the Loungo safety net ... but I blame Melanson. Eddie started the year strongly and has gradually gotten weaker as the season wears on.

His rebound control is weak, for a big guy he plays VERY deep in his net (Rollie written all over it) and drops to his knees early every shot. I don't like Melanson's style. Never have. Lou was just enough of a veteran to pick and choose what attributes of it he used, and discard the rest. Lack is buying in completely and right now it's hampering his game.

Anyway last night sucked. Somethings has to give here. I see no other option then removing Torts.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'm not an X's and O's guy and particularly not when it comes to goaltending, but isn't a big guy the exact sort you want to play deep?

Doesn't have to come out as far to cut down angles as a smaller keeper would and those long arms and legs should help him get across the crease quickly enough.

I doubt it's much of a coincidence that Lack's performance has suffered along with the group in front of him.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I think what bothers me the most is seeing the guy drop to his knees every time there is a shot toward the net. Too many are getting by in the top of the net. He plays so deep that he can't establish a good angle and if there is any kind of screen he is fucked.

Eddie Lack will be a solid goaltender in the NHL. I don't doubt it at all. It has to be very hard to come in as a rookie and have the heavy expectations of the management and fanbase on his shoulders. Getting rid of Lou in the midst of what should be a playoff push was the worst thing that could happen yo the development of Lack.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Its really early after last night. But tortorella has to go...
Ted Nolan in
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

What about Messier? :D
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

At least nobody went into cardiac arrest.

Thankfully I turned the TV off after the second period. The boys looked so happy when they went up 3-0.

Is there a scenario where both Gillis and Torts survive this embarrassment?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

herb wrote:At least nobody went into cardiac arrest.

Thankfully I turned the TV off after the second period. The boys looked so happy when they went up 3-0.

Is there a scenario where both Gillis and Torts survive this embarrassment?
there shouldn't be herb..there shouldn't be

Nobody answered a question I had the other day..

Is it normal to give 5 year contracts to coaches right off the get go nowadays??? whats wrong with 1 and an option in case shit goes south...this is retarded
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

rats19 wrote:there shouldn't be herb..there shouldn't be

Nobody answered a question I had the other day..

Is it normal to give 5 year contracts to coaches right off the get go nowadays??? whats wrong with 1 and an option in case shit goes south...this is retarded
I don't know...coaching contracts aren't disclosed anywhere as far as I know. dbr corrected me the other day when I said Aquilini wouldn't want to fire Torts because he'd have to pay him for four more years...assuming Torts got hired somewhere else, it wouldn't be a big deal.

I have assumed that both Torts and Gillis would be around next year, but if this group can't at least look like a respectable and competent team then I think anything is on the table. I'm sure Aquilini didn't like all the empty seats at Rogers Arena last night.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

If having to pay out Tortorella's remaining term is an issue for ownership, I would think firing him now would seem pretty unappetizing.

He's got a pretty good CV but being turfed two years in a row is going to leave the stink of failure on anyone and fair or not a lot of the team's problems this year aren't exactly inconsistent with the public perception of Torts flaws as a coach.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Last nights debacle is squarely on the players not the GM and coach.

For two periods they played very well in Tortorella's system and were rewarded with a three goal lead.

It was dumb, out right stupid penalties that opened the flood gates. Give Jensen a pass on the slash because he may have prevented a goal, Give Jensen a pass on the hook because he's a rookie. Those I may be convinced of, but Bieksa and worst of all Sestito?

I suspect it is CBA mandated off, but the entire lineup should be skating until they puke.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

I recall the mid to late 80's teams... And listening to the play by play on CKNW, just hoping beyond reason that the team could pull out a win. Looking forward to game dates that featured other bottom feeders because it meant there was a chance to experience a competitive hockey game with a chance at 2 points. This feels like that.

Difference of course is the calibre of players on this edition of the Canucks, who are grossly underachieving whether it be the chemistry of the team, (Torts) or the makeup of the team, (Gillis)... Non-player changes have to happen before this gets any better.

This game was a microcosm of the 2013/14 season. Good effort for the first 2/3... Enjoying a comfortable position... With the final 1/3 exposing a team that is more confused about their identity than a 13 year old hermaphrodite.

I'm a "thick and thin" type fan... And can accept ups and downs of teams over long periods of time... But this down is a real tough one to swallow.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

For the first four or so months (Sept-Dec) I was impressed with Torts. His answers in the media seemed genuine, honest and intelligent. He had his players playing well under his system. For two periods last night the team looked good.

Of course, in general January to now has been a total shit show. Some of that is injuries, a lot of it is due to massively under performing players, then of course there are the depth and skill issues with the roster. Throw in what I believe is a significant crisis of confidence and here we are.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

mathonwy wrote:I wonder if I need to dial 911 for HW..

:look:

No, I recovered with a good night's sleep. New attitude today. Full acceptance. So I'm going to go to Russia for a few weeks and when I get back in early June I hope to see some good hockey, get ready for the draft, get excited about prospects camp, feel hopeful at team medicals also when everyone shows up healthy, healed and ready to go, pumped for training camp, eagerly watching the pre-season games and holding my breath for the new season to start!
The only HW the Canucks need