GDT: Canucks vs Capitals 29 Nov 2022 - 19:00 PST SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Capitals 29 Nov 2022 - 19:00 PST SN

Post by donlever »

...you have to have a salary that starts (or will) with an 8 and deliver pizzas as a side hustle.

...Brock @ 6.65 for 2 more years is a problem.
DeLevering since 1999.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I'm not concerned either. I just find it humorous that people go off on this stat and apply it as irrelevant to some but harp on it for others. All of a sudden, it's all quiet. That's just a lot of cherry picking.

What's true is that the 3rd line with Dries/Boeser/Insert winger is a defensive nightmare at 5-on-5.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

....gonna have to roll with it bro.

If Miller makes it through 8.75 more years here it will be a constant and increasingly strident theme.
DeLevering since 1999.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

If Miller didn't try to force plays so much this season, then that 3-headed centre setup would be in use and we wouldn't have to see Dries as a regular.

The top 6 forwards currently are quite good as the goals per game indicates, but we are so weak depth-wise after that and always in the backend.

I don't know man, you can move him out but unless you get a top RHD back that can influence the system and the games, you're just shuffling deck chairs.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

If Miller had not discovered his magical backhand passes, he'd be +15 and we'd be top 3 in the league right now
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yeah, was he so bad with those backhanded passes that he was driving the offence for the last 3 years and led the team in scoring in 2 of them? But after re-signing, he magically is the worst and made this team a perennial mid-pack loser?

Jeez man. It's like ALL top players in the league will have their share of of giveaways because they have the puck so much. So, Petey, Bo, the Russians and everyone on this team haven't turnover-ed the puck that lead to chances and goals? It's just one guy doing it or you just pay attention to one guy and ignore everyone else?

Yeah, without this pizza delivery guy, we'd be first the league for the last 4 seasons!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:09 pm Jeez man. It's like ALL top players in the league will have their share of of giveaways because they have the puck so much. So, Petey, Bo, the Russians and everyone on this team haven't turnover-ed the puck that lead to chances and goals? It's just one guy doing it or you just pay attention to one guy and ignore everyone else?
True - and he seems to be getting it under control compared to the start of the season. So, he leads the team giveaways (15), followed closely by Petey (14) and Myers (13) - LINK

As long it gets better (and I'm guessing it will), I'm not too worried about it currently. This whole team started out playing like crap, and while Petey and Bo got their shit together sooner, it seems that most of the team is playing near their potential.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yes, remember the first 3 games or so (pre-Chef adjustments) we were coining BO2Max? Weren't some shouting that he shouldn't be getting a cent more than $6.75M/year?

Now, after 10 seasons of watching him, Bo is our saviour and that max contract will be great until he is 38 years old? Um, ok. Personally, I've been calling for the re-signing of Bo even though our cap is a mess and will be worse after this.

Keep centers, top players and trim the winger fat before considering anything else. If they are truly terrible still, there is no point of keeping anyone, not even a "core" because those guys will be so sick of losing they will want out. See BUF/EDM/OTT for a history lesson.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

If Bo signs an 8 year deal it takes him to age 36. I believe he’ll be a good player for most of the next 8 seasons. A decent comparison play style wise is Jon Toews.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:31 pm True - and he seems to be getting it under control compared to the start of the season. So, he leads the team giveaways (15), followed closely by Petey (14) and Myers (13) - LINK
Article about Chychrun (as an example):
It is easy to see why so many teams would inquire about Chychrun, who has averaged 23:07 of ice time and recorded three points in four games this season. He is young (24), big (6-foot-2, 220 pounds) and cost-controlled ($4.6 million cap hit through 2025).

Two seasons ago, Chychrun had a career-high 18 goals, which led all defencemen, and 41 points in 56 games. He knew how to pick his spots, scoring 12 of his goals from the slot.

Because of Chychrun’s impressive offensive numbers that season, his strong defensive play flew under the radar. His 2.6 stick checks per game ranked first out of 180 defencemen with a minimum of 500 minutes played, and he won 161 puck battles, which ranked 11th. It was that all-around game that made Chychrun the No. 16 pick in the 2016 NHL Draft.

Chychrun’s standard statistics tumbled last season, when he finished with seven goals and 21 points in 47 games, but many of his underlying numbers held relatively steady.
As far as weaknesses, Chychrun is turnover-prone, though that can happen when a player handles the puck as much as he does. Last season, Chychrun committed turnovers on 16.2 per cent of his total touches, tied for 186th out of 223 qualified defencemen (min. 500 minutes).

Health is the biggest concern. Chychrun has played in 72 per cent of the Coyotes’ games since his rookie season in 2016-17 (341/474). He has suffered ankle, knee, shoulder and wrist injuries as well as a concussion during his young career, missing double-digit games in five of his seven seasons.
I'm sure every single team's top players would have the same types of strengths and weaknesses if you delved deeper. Hockey is too fast and violent to have perfect players. But no way should anyone pay the Coyotes asking price... except for Dubas. I hope the Leaves makes this trade.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:31 pm
damonberryman wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:52 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:44 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:03 pm ALL ABOARD!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BlkTSKqE_8

That may be one of the best songs ever ever. The extended version can be seen on ON Darryl Hall's Place on you tube. Those guys get it. Love them and will always consider 'Love Train' to be up there with Curtis and Sammy, and Mr. Cook. Fuck but I love soul. If you can listen to this song without moving you are dead and cold to the touch.
Hey BerryMan does this kind of music take you back to your New Jersey days in the 70’s when you ran with Roy DeMeo’s crew?
This kind of music is about respect for me, but, as always I like your feedback. BTW? Who the fuck is Roy Demeo? Any long lost legends from my past are dead. The Palmers, McCauley, and other local gangsters made up our underworld. Until Montreal tried to own the heroin money in Van was this ever contested..

I remember the Patricia Wells bust in particular due to a couple factors. First is amount of warrants her undercover work made possible. Second is her body being found in a ditch. Shit was pretty raw back then.

The scene as I knew it was close to the ground, with family helping in a nice way, not the other.

Do not make more of this then a history lesson from one perspective. Mine.