GDT: Van at Wings, 4 PM, PST (SNP - maybe SN1)

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Van at Wings, 4 PM, PST (SNP - maybe SN1)

Post by dangler »

Canuck Fan: "the team doesn't have enough sandpaper"

Garland: "hold my beer"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Well; No sugar coating this performance. Half the team was competitive, the others not so much. Even for the ass end of a back to back, thought we

could have acquitted ourselves much better. One could say the Wings were ready for us and aware we'd be a tired team, but that's not what it looked like.

Bright signs were the great effort from Ekman Larsson. Strong game from Hoglander. Horvat wasn't bad. Pearson's effort was very good.

Obviously Conor Garland was doing everything he could. Extreme doggedness would be one way of putting it. Really happy with his resolve.

Halak made some interesting decisions that the team didn't read too well. More time with Ian Clark will hopefully rectify this because his role is vital.

Quinn Hughes hasn't quite got his A-game going and Jack Rathbone made some mistakes. At least they were both able to generally skate their way

out of their gaffs. Myers worked hard. Detroit players didn't have too much problem getting chances so it wasn't great all and all.

My main take from this game is that Miller and Pettersson stunk! Wont win many games with them playing lackadaisically like that. They both made

terrible decisions on the power plays and five on five last night. Petey was virtually standing still on occasion. It's early. Plenty of new faces. Growing

pains. Would like to see Green trusting Podkolzin just a little more, mainly because I think he has more to show.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

dangler wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:27 pm Canuck Fan: "the team doesn't have enough sandpaper"

He's a beauty.

Every game I see these 2 dominating I think about how incredibly oblivious Canucks fandom is to the excellent work our GM puts in. They dumped a tickle trunk of trash into the desert, sweetened by a couple of maybes, for 2 premium assets. Genius!

From Sekeres twitter:
Garland the Angry Elf annoys #LGRW
:lol:
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dangler wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:27 pm Canuck Fan: "the team doesn't have enough sandpaper"

Regardless of Garland’s agitating, the Canucks don’t have enough size or sandpaper. That big Sambo was laughing his ass off at the angry little elf.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:54 am

Regardless of Garland’s agitating, the Canucks don’t have enough size or sandpaper. That big Sambo was laughing his ass off at the angry little elf.
That angry little elf is one of Vans best elves.

I do agree on the sandpaper though.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:19 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:54 am

That angry little elf is one of Vans best elves.

I do agree on the sandpaper though.
I like the angry little elf. He’s a darn good player and he is tenacious. OEL looks like he did a few years ago. A definite upgrade on the #23 he replaced. I hope he can keep it up for another 5 or 6 years. Unlucky not to win but they were probably a bit tired playing 3 in 4. They need Boeser and Motte to get back soon and chase a couple of these scrubs to Abbotsford. Knowing Green it will be Podkolzin that heads to the valley. Much like Willie Desjardins, sometimes the toys need to be taken away.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Of these new scrubs, Dowling and Dickinson are the best IMO.
I want to see Highmore and Chase-on sit and what Lockwood and maybe Bailey can do with those minutes.

I don't mind how Green is deploying The Pod either. Ease him into the NHL, he needs a little time to adjust to the speed of the big league. I don't send him down, he's close now
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

What Pods has that most young players breaking into the league don't have, is defensive awareness. Unlike a lot of kids he can be trusted on the D side of the game. That is the usual excuse Green banters on about when asked why he isn't playing a rookie more. With Pods he hasn't got that excuse.

I bought his explanation in game two as to why he was benched in the third period, sort of. But in the game against Detroit were on a back to back, needed goals, and fresh legs. Why not try him on one of those PP? Nothing else was working. I get if you dont want him out there in the dying minutes to protect a lead but he should have seen more ice in the third.

Highmore is ok on the 4th line. He has speed. Dickinson is just fine. Dowling is average. Chase-is-on can go. When Boeser is back Chase-is-on should be waived. When Motte is back I'd waive Dowling over Highmore but honestly it doesn't make much difference between the two. Waive Petan too.

It was the wrong decision to waive both Gad and Mac. One of them should have been protected even as an extra forward.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Even worse, the Sharks put Gadjovich on IR without ever practicing with SJ. There is no reason the Canucks couldn’t have done that with the Canucks to keep him around in case Chiasson wasn’t working.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:28 pm Even worse, the Sharks put Gadjovich on IR without ever practicing with SJ. There is no reason the Canucks couldn’t have done that with the Canucks to keep him around in case Chiasson wasn’t working.
I ahd no idea he was injured. Did he strain his back carrying his luggage?
The only HW the Canucks need
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Well, at least I don have to start another GDT.

*trying to find a silver lining*
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:18 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:28 pm Even worse, the Sharks put Gadjovich on IR without ever practicing with SJ. There is no reason the Canucks couldn’t have done that with the Canucks to keep him around in case Chiasson wasn’t working.
I ahd no idea he was injured. Did he strain his back carrying his luggage?
He has a shank wound in his back from Green

...or was it a gaped A hole?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:28 pm Even worse, the Sharks put on IR without ever practicing with SJ. There is no reason the Canucks couldn’t have done that with the Canucks to keep him around in case Chiasson wasn’t working.
No idea why Chiasson has a roster spot. Doubt he can ever get back to where he was. 31 but really looks spent. We'll see.
Gadjovich is an improving 22 yr. old.
"evolution"