The Glass is Half Empty....

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: The Glass is Half Empty....

Post by Topper »

Tciso wrote:Holy F*&k dude. A couple of years ago, the Canucks had their best season ever. Period. And, guess what?? There were a lot of career years that year, including Kesler. I am not talking about standards dropping. I am talking about players playing at their average. I have a lot less concern about our top 6 than I do about our bottom 6. If our bottom 6 play as well as the average bottom 6, I feel pretty good about our chances this year. We are not the elite team of 3 seasons ago, but, we are still a top 10 team.
Bill James wrote an excellent paper on that 30 years ago in one of his Baseball Abstracts.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tciso wrote: Rummy, you vastly under-rate the twin's defensive play.
Yeah, I hear him repeating that yet I see them as solid defensively.

Did he... really... compare them to Hodgson defensively?? :lol:

So yeah, my eyes tell me they're solid defensively.

And a quick glance at the "old-fashioned" stats tells me they're up around top-ten league-wide in plus/minus.

I just don't "see" how this is a problem.

It'll be interesting when they finally start seeing some PK time again next season. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Did your eyes tell you they were solid defensively againsst the Sharks? You know, when it matters? When the heat's cranked up?

'Cause mine sure as fuck didn't.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Well there was a gaff or two over the course of those...... FOUR GAMES. :scowl:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Holy crap, you'd think this was the website for the Chicago Blackhawks based on the doe-eyed optimism and complete refusal to criticize core players or management decisions.

I think the team should be able to take second in the new division if Anaheim falls back to earth and San Jose plays as old as they look.

Wouldn't be surprised to see LA kick ass and take the division this year, they've underachieved bigtime in the regular season and you'd think they're due to buck that trend.

It's the playoffs where this team will be totally exposed yet again unless we make some major changes up front, and maybe on the blue line as well. We look like we'll be even easier to play against this year than last.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Wouldn't be surprised to see LA kick ass and take the division this year, they've underachieved bigtime in the regular season and you'd think they're due to buck that trend.
What, and quit partying??? :shock:
Rumsfeld wrote: It's the playoffs where this team will be totally exposed yet again unless we make some major changes up front, and maybe on the blue line as well. We look like we'll be even easier to play against this year than last.
What do you mean.... "we"... white man?

____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:What do you mean.... "we"... white man?

LOL
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:Well there was a gaff or two over the course of those...... FOUR GAMES. :scowl:
Well yeah, it would have been nice to have a larger playoff sample size.

Which we would have had if the Sedins did... you know.... anything of consequence to get us a W.

But all this talk of empty glasses is making me thirsty, so I'm off to pour a snifter and then a nightcap!

*kicks CFP in the head for no reason*
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yup, sample size is important and the Sedins have been close to PPG in playoffs over the last 5 seasons!

True story, THIS JUST HAPPENED, I've been outside for the last hour.

Well for all but the last 10 minutes in which time I've downed at least 6 ounces of Crown Royal.

Wifey was out watering the flowers and called me.

She said there's an wounded eagle on the neighbor's roof.

And danged if there wasn't! :shock:

Anyway, I tried to be a hero until the fucking thing swooped me!

Well sorta. :look:

Can still hear the damned thing out there screeching, mocking....

Hopefully this whisky makes me braver.

*relieves self on CFP's unconscious body*
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Rumsfeld wrote:Did your eyes tell you they were solid defensively againsst the Sharks? You know, when it matters? When the heat's cranked up?

'Cause mine sure as fuck didn't.
Well other than the Sharks this year .. the Kings last year .. the Bruins in 2011 and Chicago 2010 maybe they have been solid defensively ? :D
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

On a positive note, if you consider only cloudless days, you'll discover it's sunny 100% of the time in Vancouver.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Rumsfeld wrote:Holy crap, you'd think this was the website for the Chicago Blackhawks based on the doe-eyed optimism and complete refusal to criticize core players or management decisions.
No, but not everyone here is willing to engage in quite your level of pants-shitting before the season has even begun. We may be the same, we may be improved, we may be a disaster in waiting. Who the heck knows? You don't. I don't.

I get that this is a hockey chat board and a place to exchange opinions. I just don't get how married folks here get to their own personal prediction of the future. You don't own a crystal ball.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Groovypippin wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Holy crap, you'd think this was the website for the Chicago Blackhawks based on the doe-eyed optimism and complete refusal to criticize core players or management decisions.
No, but not everyone here is willing to engage in quite your level of pants-shitting before the season has even begun. We may be the same, we may be improved, we may be a disaster in waiting. Who the heck knows? You don't. I don't.
But we got your pale ass outta the basement and onto the computer, pipster!

And that's a good thing. :thumbs:
I get that this is a hockey chat board and a place to exchange opinions.
Holy smokes is this guy ever sharp! Keep 'em coming my man!*

AWESOME username BTW.

*could do without the foul language though :(
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote:
I guess it's acceptable if you're an extremely shitty team.

Again, Kesler was putting up PPG numbers on the SECOND line and winning fucking Selkes at the same time a couple seasons ago.

Standards are dropping faster than a hooker's panties around here.
"Real" hookers wear crotchless, or go commando, so your point is totally moot.

And you just outed yourself as only getting the cheap hookers that take hash as payment.

:p
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Mondi wrote:
rats19 wrote:Shit....I thought there was still the ability to trade, sign, & make changes. I was unaware that we were stuck with what we have at the moment. You are right Mondi, its not looking good for us..

we are doomed :cry:
Mondi's babble.....

But, I'm glad you're relying on a team that got fucking punted from the first round in 4 games, and has one 1 of its last 12 playoff games. And one may argue, or agree, that the team now is worse on paper than those two teams.

the rest of Mondi's babble.....

Can't say many people should take seriously the doom and gloom opinion of a guy who doesn't know the difference between "one" and "won".....

:look: