2013 FA Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote:Ilya Kovalchuk just retired.
https://twitter.com/dchesnokov/status/3 ... 1810298881

"SKA will announce Kovalchuk's signing tomorrow, per @plysenkov, wanted to do it today."

____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

$lacker wrote:For those wondering if Lu could do the same thing:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 10m
For those asking, VAN/Luongo could technically do this (as I understand it) so long as player is prepared to NOT get $ owed him. #nochance
There may be other factors as well:
Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 3m
Source tells Post that NHL will not attempt to prevent Kovalchuk from playing in KHL. NHL return would have to be approved by every team.
OMG did I just quote Larry Brooks? :crazy:
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Strangelove wrote:
Well, fuck off then....good, see ya.

OMG, did I just quote John Tortorella?

(I love me some John Tortorella attitude btw...pricks are us...)
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Well, fuck off then....good, see ya.

OMG, did I just quote John Tortorella?
Safe is death. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Technically doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot when the league at their discretion can come down with the "circumventing the spirit of the salary cap" hammer. If Kovalchuk tried to come back next year and sign a cheap deal the league would be all over the Devils and the penalty they would see would be far beyond cap recapture. Ditto for Luongo.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I saw SKA play Moscow in March, playoff game. SKA stunk, best player - and hardly that - was Afinogenov. But I will say, it's a nice arena and the fans are nuts for the team. SKA baby, all the way!
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

$lacker wrote:For those wondering if Lu could do the same thing:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 10m
For those asking, VAN/Luongo could technically do this (as I understand it) so long as player is prepared to NOT get $ owed him. #nochance
Can you imagine the WTF? It would generate if mrs lou was willing to move Moscow ?!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Andrew Raycroft has signed with Björklöven! :shock:

:thumbs:
:drink:

Well, I guess it beats playing in Italy.

Pretty sure it's the first time we've had a Calder trophy winner playing for Björklöven. :look:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=5166
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

tantalum wrote:Technically doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot when the league at their discretion can come down with the "circumventing the spirit of the salary cap" hammer. If Kovalchuk tried to come back next year and sign a cheap deal the league would be all over the Devils and the penalty they would see would be far beyond cap recapture. Ditto for Luongo.
This is what confuses me - apparently the Devils won't hold Kovy's rights once he turns 35, he is a full UFA.

According to that article, it would take 30 teams' consent for Kovie to come back next year after terminating this current contract. After next year, it would require the Devils consent to release Kovie's rights. But once he turns 35, NJ has no rights and he can come back to sign whatever contract he pleases.

So Luongo turns 35 next April. If he "retires", according to Bill daly after 35 he's off the "Voluntary Retirement List" and can sign wherever he wants with no team's consent.

Is there some other rule I'm missing? if not, Lu could take next year off, sign a new UFA contract next off-season for whatever term/money the market will bear (it will probably be a lot), the Canucks don't have to use a buy-out...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Can't imagine Lou wants to either walk away from tens of millions in guaranteed money (even if his hates his contract right now) or to lose another year - really that means 1.5 seasons out of 2 or even two straight seasons down the tubes for him when you get down to it, given he lost most of this year to the lockout and backup duties. Add on top of that the fact that he probably loses his spot on the Olympic team and certainly needs to prove he is still an NHL starter upon his return even more than he does this season (further reducing the likelihood he gets most of that guaranteed money back in the form of a medium term deal)..
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

So Luongo sits out a year and forgoes millions of dollars to hope that someone will sign him to a big deal after a 34 year old goaltender sits out for an entire year? Seems a silly way to go. If he is willing to play a significant distance away from Florida and willing to instead to try to play in the KHL why not just play in vancouver for the year. Have an outstanding year and show the GMs how stupid they were? (ignoring the fact the KHL wouldn't let him play as he has an existing contract).

Luongo really only has one choice. he may not be happy about it but then again there is absolutely no possible way that his desire to end up in Florida didn't hamper this whole process from the beginning....whether there was anything formal or not on that score.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Rumsfeld's take on the Canucks offseason thus far....

Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

tantalum wrote: If he is willing to play a significant distance away from Florida and willing to instead to try to play in the KHL why not just play in vancouver for the year.
Oh.....wrong St Petersburg? 8-)
tantalum wrote: Have an outstanding year and show the GMs how stupid they were? (ignoring the fact the KHL wouldn't let him play as he has an existing contract).
Point is OT, but wasn't Radulov still signed with the Preds when he bolted?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

CFP! wrote:
tantalum wrote: Have an outstanding year and show the GMs how stupid they were? (ignoring the fact the KHL wouldn't let him play as he has an existing contract).
Point is OT, but wasn't Radulov still signed with the Preds when he bolted?
Radulov, like Kovalchuk, was under contract for the season he went to the KHL. Nashville retained his rights for 3+ years because he was on their 50-contract list for Nashville throughout his absence. Had Nashville not saved a contract spot for him, he would have been a UFA.

Had NJD refused to release Kovalchuk and instead suspended him, there would be issues with the NHL-KHL transfer agreement, though I'm not sure what they would be.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Radulov was one of the cases that made the KHL and NHL hurry up and come to a transfer agreement I believe. When Radulov went over and violated his contract with the Preds I don't believe the agreement was in place and because it wasn't in place the KHL decided he could stay and play.