Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Post by Rumsfeld »

Next year is the '14 season. This guy had Horvat playing on the first line in '16. Derp.

If the board gets any dumber I probably will be leaving, not to worry.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

the Dogsalmon wrote:I dont recall saying he is a Sydney Crosby talent. I remember saying he is very good. Nice try though.
Wish I could return the compliment.

For what it's worth I have checked out his highlights. They don't show much of his physical or defensive play, but to be totally honest his offensive skills didn't look spectacular at all. Goes to the net, whacks in pucks. Big strong kid, decent skater.

It's hard to take that much away from what I've seen of him but I feel confident saying this kid does not look like he'll ever be a PPG player in the NHL. Hope I'm wrong.

Have you ever actually looked at what top NHL forwards do in Junior statistically? I'll give you a hint since you seem kind of slow. They score WAY more points than Horvat has.

You guys are making a projected second-line (at best) center sound like the second coming of Ryan Getzlaf. That's why I'm laughing at you.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Rumsfeld wrote:Next year is the '14 season. This guy had Horvat playing on the first line in '16. Derp.

That would still be his 3rd season. I know. Math is Hard
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Tciso wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Next year is the '14 season. This guy had Horvat playing on the first line in '16. Derp.

Like I said dunce cap, he's probably not making the team this year. He's 18 and you have to think Schroeder and Gaunce would be ahead of him right now on the depth chart.

He'd have to have one helluva camp and one helluva start to the year to make the team and actually stick.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Tciso wrote:

Like I said dunce cap, he's probably not making the team this year. He's 18 and you have to think Schroeder and Gaunce would be ahead of him right now on the depth chart.

He'd have to have one helluva camp and one helluva start to the year to make the team and actually stick.

Gaunce maybe...Schroeder(haha) a 9 year old could knock him off the puck. Horvat is better than Schroeder any day all day long(at this moment as well). And of course he wont play for us this season as his Jr squad are the London Knights.You know 2014 Memorial Cup hosts.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Rumsfeld wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:I dont recall saying he is a Sydney Crosby talent. I remember saying he is very good. Nice try though.

For what it's worth I have checked out his highlights. They don't show much of his physical or defensive play, but to be totally honest his offensive skills didn't look spectacular at all. Goes to the net, whacks in pucks. Big strong kid, decent skater.

It's hard to take that much away from what I've seen of him but I feel confident saying this kid does not look like he'll ever be a PPG player in the NHL. Hope I'm wrong.

Have you ever actually looked at what top NHL forwards do in Junior statistically? I'll give you a hint since you seem kind of slow. They score WAY more points than Horvat has.

You guys are making a projected second-line (at best) center sound like the second coming of Ryan Getzlaf. That's why I'm laughing at you.
Ryan Getzlaf in his 17-18 age season, same as Horvat had this year, scored 68 points in 70 games. They were almost the exact same age in those seasons.

Now Getzlaf scored 75 points in 49 games in his next season in junior so there was a big jump. I'm not making comparisons but it was you who brought up Getzlaf and I'd love to see a similar career projection. Won't know until after next year of course.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Just look at some of forwards who could be on the roster a couple years down the line, and tell me this will be an easy team to play against:

All under 25:

Gaunce 6'2 205
Horvat 6'0 205
Jensen 6'3 205
Kassian 6'3 215
Weise 6'2 210
Lain 6'6 222

Then there's the "scrawny" 6'1 195 Alexandre Mallet

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Just look at some of forwards who could be on the roster a couple years down the line, and tell me this will be an easy team to play against:

All under 25:

Gaunce 6'2 205
Horvat 6'0 205
Jensen 6'3 205
Kassian 6'3 215
Weise 6'2 210
Lain 6'6 222

Then there's the "scrawny" 6'1 195 Alexandre Mallet

Labate 6'5 and climbing.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Rumsfeld wrote: Have you ever actually looked at what top NHL forwards do in Junior statistically? I'll give you a hint since you seem kind of slow. They score WAY more points than Horvat has.

While being a productive offensive player is generally a prerequisite for NHL success, Horvat's offensive numbers are solid for an OHL player who plays a physical shutdown game. But Horvat didn't get drafted in the top 10 because of his overall offensive numbers, it's that Horvat simply gotten better over the course of the season and rose up the charts. After Horvat switched to lighter skates he went on a tear that included playoff MVP honours. Horvat has been compared to Ryan O'Reilly and guess how many points Ryan O'Reilly scored in juniors? Jordan Staal scored less goals than Horvat in his draft year. Ryan Strome outscored Landeskog and Matt Puempel put up similar numbers to Landeskog in their draft years. Chances of both players being more prolific scorers than Landeskog? Strome might have a chance, Puempel is doubtful. Point is that junior stats mean very little. It's how the player projects and whether the player is improving. Horvat's game projects very well in the NHL and his type of game can be very successful in the NHL.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Points in junior depend on the league your in, and how the coaches use you.

If I recall, Kesler wasn't exactly a PPG kid in junior either, and he turned out ok...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The way we have been drafting of late is the most encouraging thing we have as Canucks fans.
In particular, Horvat and Gaunce (well how they project anyway) are exactly what you need in this league to win those games that are won in the trenches.

Gillis appears to have recognized this and has evolved somewhat since drafting the skilled smurfs Schroeder and Hodgson
If you need air...call it in
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Diehard1 wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:

Ryan Getzlaf in his 17-18 age season, same as Horvat had this year, scored 68 points in 70 games. They were almost the exact same age in those seasons.

Now Getzlaf scored 75 points in 49 games in his next season in junior so there was a big jump. I'm not making comparisons but it was you who brought up Getzlaf and I'd love to see a similar career projection. Won't know until after next year of course.
I watched Getzlaf play in the World Juniors and I saw a few of his Junior games as well.

I have now watched Bo Horvat play a few full games.

I think I can say with absolute certainty that Horvat is never going to be the offensive talent Ryan Getzlaf is. Getzlaf's talent was obvious... Horvat's not so much.

Still have very high hopes for him and think he's an offensively talented player.... just sayin'.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Rumsfeld wrote: I think I can say with absolute certainty that Horvat is never going to be the offensive talent Ryan Getzlaf is. Getzlaf's talent was obvious... Horvat's not so much.

Still have very high hopes for him and think he's an offensively talented player.... just sayin'.

He made some excellent offensive plays in the scrimages.

He is a good skater, has an excellent shot, good hands, and good IQ. If he keeps improving he should be a solid offensive player at the NHL level.

Also note Horvat's recent Jr numbers are a bit skewed. He started off in a defensive role but just killed it the back half of the season and playoffs.

That said, comparing any 18 year old picked out of the top3 to Ryan Getzlaf is a bit silly.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote: I watched Getzlaf play in the World Juniors and I saw a few of his Junior games as well.

I have now watched Bo Horvat play a few full games.

I think I can say with absolute certainty that Horvat is never going to be the offensive talent Ryan Getzlaf is. Getzlaf's talent was obvious... Horvat's not so much.

I was living in Calgary while Getzlaf was playing for the Hitmen, went to a few of the games, I didn't think his offensive talent was so "apparent" at that point.
I haven't seen Horvat play, so I'm not comparing or defending, just an observation of Getzlaf.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: I think I can say with absolute certainty that Horvat is never going to be the offensive talent Ryan Getzlaf is. Getzlaf's talent was obvious... Horvat's not so much.

He made some excellent offensive plays in the scrimages.

He is a good skater, has an excellent shot, good hands, and good IQ. If he keeps improving he should be a solid offensive player at the NHL level.

Also note Horvat's recent Jr numbers are a bit skewed. He started off in a defensive role but just killed it the back half of the season and playoffs.

That said, comparing any 18 year old picked out of the top3 to Ryan Getzlaf is a bit silly.
He does have a pretty sweet toe drag... but so do most first-round picks these days.

Have to see more of him with better players to really get a feel for his skill level.