Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Post by ukcanuck »

Rumsfeld wrote:Torts really sounds determined to play nice with the media here.... Gillis must have been pretty adamant about that.
You know I kinda feel sorry for torts on that score.
With the moronic pricks masquerading as sports journalists in Vancouver, how long is he gonna last?
Gallon gagger alone never mind the rest of the ham fists and yellow bus riders
torts is gonna lose it like the champ sooner rather than later.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I've been hearing a lot of talk about "playing the youngsters".

I hope Canucks fans realize that in order to play the youngsters you have to actually have some good youngsters.

Corrado might be ready but he's pretty frail and still very inexperienced. D in the NHL is a tough position to play straight out of Junior. He is the most likely candidate to stick with the big club, if for no other reason than his ELC.

Schroeder is tiny and just not very good. He has nowhere near the offensive capabilities you'd expect from a kid his size sticking in the NHL.... and he's not a Gallagher pesky type either. We want a bigger, meaner team but let's allow a dwarf to center our checking line? Trade him.

Jensen looked FAR from ready in his brief stint last year. Pass. Late-season callup in case of injuries.

Gaunce hasn't played a lick of pro hockey yet... you wanna develop him on a fourth line where he plays 5 minutes a night or as a big contributor in the AHL?

Just some food for thought when everyone starts getting a boner for playing the kids next season.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The playoffs are over.

We have our new coach.

Now I'm excited about hockey again.

I hope Torts doesn't reign himself in too much with the media.....
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rumsfeld wrote:
SKYO wrote:Tortorella says he's a big believer in the process of growing younger players.
Yeah, coaches never say that.

One of the big knocks on him in NY was that he didn't keep Kreider up with the team.
Granted every coach has a few players they don't like for some odd reason, Krieder should do better now, just like Ballard should if a left side spot opens up, like if a Edler for B Ryan trade happens. :mrgreen:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tony skull and bones Gallagher said " if the Canucks make the playoffs next season the hiring will be a success" LMAO that's right Tony, lower the expectations all in the name of your good buddy Gillis. Lower the bar to save asses

No Tony, making the playoffs is expected! It's getting past the first round that would make the hiring a success
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

RoyalDude wrote:Tony skull and bones Gallagher said " if the Canucks make the playoffs next season the hiring will be a success" LMAO that's right Tony, lower the expectations all in the name of your good buddy Gillis. Lower the bar to save asses

No Tony, making the playoffs is expected! It's getting past the first round that would make the hiring a success
Yeah, that's horseshit. The Canucks should not be a team struggling to make the playoffs. Yet.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Rumsfeld wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Tony skull and bones Gallagher said " if the Canucks make the playoffs next season the hiring will be a success" LMAO that's right Tony, lower the expectations all in the name of your good buddy Gillis. Lower the bar to save asses

Yeah, that's horseshit. The Canucks should not be a team struggling to make the playoffs. Yet.
Just making the playoffs would be considered a successful hiring? I don't know Rumsfeld, maybe I'm getting mixed messages here, I kind of got the impression from Gillis words at the press conference after firing Vigneault that this team has greater expectations than just making the playoffs -

Mike GIllis - "We're in a results-oriented business and if you look at the last two playoffs we've been in, we were the higher-seeded team but lost the first two games at home," Canucks president and general manager Mike Gillis said at a news conference Wednesday.

"We lost consecutive games in the last two playoff years, and there comes a point in time where the message has to change and we have to be better. And we simply didn't get the result we
expected."

That doesn't sound to me like "just making the playoffs" would be a success for this team in which I am under the impression will be the exact same team next year? Go Figure???
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Came across as a very nice , respectful and intelligent man. Hmmm. Who is he and what did they do with real Torts?
LOL give him until our first blowout loss. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lancer wrote: From what I heard, I hope Sullivan isn't coming.
I hear good things actually (from what seems like the brightest Ranger fans).

They say he's a GREAT defensive coach.

They say the problem was he was also put in charge of the PP.

Bad move by Slats but it won't happen here.

Like Coco said, bring in Sully but also bring in a good PP coach. :thumbs:

Although some say he doesn't play "good cop" to Torts' "bad cop" if that's what you mean...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote:Sedin will kill penalties and block shots.

- jt
I'm always ranting IRL at how the sedins never kill penalties anymore.

Some of the younger/casual fans have no idea that was their specialty for their first coupla years.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Tortorella on Edler: "Im interested in...this defencemen Edler, wondering if there's more there, there's going to have to be."
:lol: We gots our first whipping boy.
Mëds will be glad to see that.

Yup, Torts/Sully gonna make or break Mr Edler. :mex:

It's all good...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: "Tortorella: says talked to Vigneault for two weeks regarding each others new teams."

Poor Ballard.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:
Cornuck wrote:Sedin will kill penalties and block shots.

- jt
I'm always ranting IRL at how the sedins never kill penalties anymore.

Some of the younger/casual fans have no idea that was their specialty for their first coupla years.
That's because Crow had to get them some ice time somewhere! He didn't use them on the PP so much those early years. And we didn't have guys like Kesler and Burrows.

Anyway they were decent PKers back then, but they looked pretty shitty killing penalties on the rare occasions they were called upon to by AV. They will apparently be "third-stringers" under Torts, so it's not like they'll be doing it a lot.

Maybe they'll take some pride in it and it will help them get in the game when it's a never-ending parade to the penalty box (so any Canuck playoff game).

Anyway I didn't like the hiring and I still have serious doubts but I've always admired his showmanship. And I know a thing or two about showmanship if I do say so myself.

Totally fucking ready for Torts time!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Maybe they'll take some pride in it
I just remembered Henrik saying something (within the last year?) about wanting to kill penalties.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Tortorella on Edler: "Im interested in...this defencemen Edler, wondering if there's more there, there's going to have to be."
:lol: We gots our first whipping boy.

"Um, hey Mike... it's Alex here... just so you know, I'll waive that NTC anytime you want me to."

Where'd u get that from EPC?