Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Post by Cornuck »

Sedin will kill penalties and block shots.

- jt
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Sedins are going to play the PK. Nice.

I hope they can stand up to being 20+ minutes a night players all year long, they are as fit as anyone so I think they can and I think it will improve their overall game.

edit: I wonder if this team is going to really really lean on some of its veteran players in order to keep some kids on the team all year long.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

dbr wrote:Sedins are going to play the PK. Nice.
I hope they can stand up to being 20+ minutes a night players all year long, they are as fit as anyone so I think they can and I think it will improve their overall game.
And it will help keep them warmed up during the game, as when they sit for too long it takes them out of the game obviously, but it also loses a bit of momentum for the team, and ultimately reduces their chances for overall points.

"Tortorella: says talked to Vigneault for two weeks regarding each others new teams."

Poor Ballard.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Cornuck wrote:Sedin will kill penalties and block shots.

- jt
So the PK's going to be terrible and the Ironman streak is over. Does this mean Daniel doesn't get to pull the Bambi anymore?

:lol:

The marshmallow bros don't really strike me as the type that are too fond of blocking shots. If Torts screams at them the way he was giving it to giving it to Gaborik (and sooner or later he will, let's face it) I don't think they'll be re-signing.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Tortorella on Edler: "Im interested in...this defencemen Edler, wondering if there's more there, there's going to have to be."
:lol: We gots our first whipping boy.

"Um, hey Mike... it's Alex here... just so you know, I'll waive that NTC anytime you want me to."
2011..... the one that got away.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Tortorella on Edler: "Im interested in...this defencemen Edler, wondering if there's more there, there's going to have to be."
:lol: We gots our first whipping boy.

"Um, hey Mike... it's Alex here... just so you know, I'll waive that NTC anytime you want me to."
If he's the whip then the C will go to his new frayboy Kes...and JG will be second in command and get the A...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Very clever way to roll out the Torts hire by the Canucks. Shielded him from the whiners in the Vancouver media who are clearly spoiling for a fight and would have gone out of their way to try and goad him. Now that he has been framed as a contrite, kinder, gentler fellow who wants a more positive relationship, the local media will be forced to go along - at least initially. This buys him some time.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Groovypippin wrote:Very clever way to roll out the Torts hire by the Canucks. Shielded him from the whiners in the Vancouver media who are clearly spoiling for a fight and would have gone out of their way to try and goad him. Now that he has been framed as a contrite, kinder, gentler fellow who wants a more positive relationship, the local media will be forced to go along - at least initially. This buys him some time.
How was it different than any other press conference exactly?
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Groovypippin wrote:Very clever way to roll out the Torts hire by the Canucks. Shielded him from the whiners in the Vancouver media who are clearly spoiling for a fight and would have gone out of their way to try and goad him. Now that he has been framed as a contrite, kinder, gentler fellow who wants a more positive relationship, the local media will be forced to go along - at least initially. This buys him some time.
...sometimes it's not the media...sometimes it's the dumb as fuck fans who buy in to all the media hype... :evil:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I sure hope Torts goes back to the full beard.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Rumsfeld wrote:I sure hope Torts goes back to the full beard.
But it looks like he just ate some nice New York....

Take it....
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Torts on the Hawks:

"Watch the Blackhawks in the Final, they're collapsing, they're blocking shots... they know how to play both offense and defense.

That's why they're there."

Fair enough John, but the totally stacked roster didn't hurt either. Lots of teams collapsed and blocked shots in the playoffs this year.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Won't be at the draft. It's the scouts day :mrgreen: Wonder if AV will be at the Rangers table or if there is this implied thing that says they can't be at the draft table this year.
The only HW the Canucks need
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Torts really sounds determined to play nice with the media here.... Gillis must have been pretty adamant about that.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

SKYO wrote:Tortorella says he's a big believer in the process of growing younger players.
Yeah, coaches never say that.

One of the big knocks on him in NY was that he didn't keep Kreider up with the team.