Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:Doc could advise Feaster.
keels over clutching privates, and says in a decidedly high-pitched squeaky voice:

LOW BLOW, LOW BLOW!!!

Butt hay at least I figured it out on my own.... eventually. :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

But wait, doesn't the cap recapture apply only if the player is traded of leaves the league for another league. If he retires before the contract is up since he signed it before age 35 and if he stays a Canucks there isn't a penalty no.

Oh never mind I read it again!
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:Okay, found this...
Bob McKenzie said on TSN Radio Wednesday that Brad Richards was destined to be bought out the day the cap recapture clause was put into the CBA.

McKenzie said, “If Richards doesn’t play the final three years of his contract, the Rangers will be hit with a cap recapture penalty is going to get dinged and dinged pretty good. The final three years are bogus years and he isn’t playing them. There is going to be a cap penalty for the Rangers if Brad Richards retires before that contract is up. I think it’s a given that they will buy him out.”
So McKenzie also believes a buyout wipes out any future Cap Recapture penalty.

Then I checked at Capgeek, Les Canadiens are not getting dinged with any kind of penalty after the Gomez buyout.

So yeah, a buyout wipes out any future Cap Recapture penalty.

Nothing to see here folks.... :oops:

Although... maybe your Vancouver Canucks should buy out Luongo. Image
By the time he retires it will be at least 6 years from now. MG will be long gone, the twins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa , hamhuis will be gone, Lack will be our goalie and the cap will be at 80 million. No worries.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: By the time he retires it will be at least 6 years from now. MG will be long gone, the twins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa , hamhuis will be gone, Lack will be our goalie and the cap will be at 80 million. No worries.
Yeah.

Luongo... FOR... Matthias + Petrovic. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Furthermore this will be challenged in the future by an army of litigators while that smarmy little asshole Bettman is tanning his hairy little carcass on some Mexican resort. I think there's a strong chance none of these cap recapture penalties never come to pass. I think it's bullshit that the league wants to penalize teams for contracts that they themselves okayed once upon a time.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Furthermore this will be challenged in the future by an army of litigators while that smarmy little asshole Bettman is tanning his hairy little carcass on some Mexican resort. I think there's a strong chance none of these cap recapture penalties never come to pass. I think it's bullshit that the league wants to penalize teams for contracts that they themselves okayed once upon a time.

I'm with you on this Blob. This clause plus retaining cap/salary in a trade were BB babies. He was self righteous and indignant and wanted to have this penalty in there. But I think it is utter nonsense that they league signs off on them and then gets punitive in a new deal. If they were gonna do this they should have allowed the teams a window to re-negotiate the deals or the league should have tried to have them quashed or something but to penalize teams after the fact is BS.

As for Luongo, I expect he will play into his 40's. Maybe not the full term but close. I doubt he will want to penalize any team by retiring. He can pull a Thomas and just fail to report without retiring and get suspended which is the way I see it going should he decide he has had enough. By the time the Canucks may have to deal with it, it will be years from now, hell I expect to be dead so I say trade his ass, or trade CS. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: By the time the Canucks may have to deal with it, it will be years from now, hell I expect to be dead
Well now, that's mighty selfish of you!

I'LL still be here, what about ME??!! :evil:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Strangelove wrote:
Vader wrote: No, it's not crystal clear, but the player wouldn't be receiving salary or playing pursuant to the SPC because the SPC would no longer exist....
.... which means it would fall into the same category as "retirement, “defection”... no?

Not sure why we care because no way are they gonna buyout Luongo.

It's just I remember this question being asked early after the signing of the new CBA.

The answer at the time was that we won't know until all the details come out.

And I still can't find anything to date which answers that question definitively.
Vader wrote: Better question: What if the player retires for a year and comes back? Does the recapture penalty disappear? You would assume so, but I'd be surprised if the CBA covers that scenario
Quick, someone tweet Dreger! :lol:
Well, I suppose it begs the next question, "Can a team agree as part of the trade to buy out luongo if he retires?" Thus negating the cap recapture rule.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vader wrote: Well, I suppose it begs the next question, "Can a team agree as part of the trade to buy out luongo if he retires?" Thus negating the cap recapture rule.
LOL prolly not. :D

Vader I think we'd better drop all this cap recapture rule crap, cuz someone is liable to SNAP. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Furthermore this will be challenged in the future by an army of litigators while that smarmy little asshole Bettman is tanning his hairy little carcass on some Mexican resort. I think there's a strong chance none of these cap recapture penalties never come to pass. I think it's bullshit that the league wants to penalize teams for contracts that they themselves okayed once upon a time.
I'm with you on this Blob. This clause plus retaining cap/salary in a trade were BB babies. He was self righteous and indignant and wanted to have this penalty in there. But I think it is utter nonsense that they league signs off on them and then gets punitive in a new deal. If they were gonna do this they should have allowed the teams a window to re-negotiate the deals or the league should have tried to have them quashed or something but to penalize teams after the fact is BS.
That's just it, this rule does not make any sense whatsoever, bordering on illegally vindictive.

So it wouldn't have surprised me if they had designed it so that you'd have a cap-penalty buyout or no.

*gives Topper dirty look whilst shielding balls with hands*
____
Try to focus on someday.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Strangelove wrote:
LOL prolly not. :D

Vader I think we'd better drop all this cap recapture rule crap, cuz someone is liable to SNAP. :wink:
Neither of us should use the word liable, or libel for that matter. Just ask Aaronp18!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Canadiens to buy out Kaberle

It appears Tomas Kaberle won't be back with the Montreal Canadiens next season.

According to multiple reports, the 35-year-old defenseman was informed by the organization Sunday that the club will buy out the remaining year on his contract, which has a salary cap hit of $4.25 million.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote:Canadiens to buy out Kaberle

It appears Tomas Kaberle won't be back with the Montreal Canadiens next season.

According to multiple reports, the 35-year-old defenseman was informed by the organization Sunday that the club will buy out the remaining year on his contract, which has a salary cap hit of $4.25 million.
He'll find work somewhere, but I sure as shit don't want him here.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Add bryzglalov to the newly FA pool...

Having to choke down that salary it's kinda hard to see phillies owners taking a chance on 7uongimeanluongo...

But hey a player a pick or prospect and another with a shite salary to bury might fly..eh?
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ukcanuck wrote:Add bryzglalov to the newly FA pool...

Having to choke down that salary it's kinda hard to see phillies owners taking a chance on 7uongimeanluongo...

But hey a player a pick or prospect and another with a shite salary to bury might fly..eh?
It is hard to say... Those Flyers are crazy. If they want someone, they will throw offer sheets, big contracts and terms at the players even the chance of getting them is zero... If they really like Luongo, I don't think the contract would be a problem for them.