Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Post by ukcanuck »

Whats fucked up is the Bernier and luongo are worth the same in trade value? Bernier more so since that trade got done.

I'd sure like to see that decision bite the cheeseburgler right on the ass.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mëds wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Keep Luongo. Let him refuse to report then we can suspend him. Problem solved :mrgreen:
He will still count against the cap....
I assume you're thinking of Tim Thomas, who counted no matter what because he'd signed his deal after turning 35.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

There have been some rumblings that Luongo could be "Tort's Guy", although its all clearly conjecture at this point.

However, if Gillis truly believes that there is a 2-3 year window to win with this group I would have no problems keeping Lu around to take the majority of the starts and bring another young goalie in to mentor under him (Eriksson or Lack). Especially if we could get a nice package of assets back for 35.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

If Luongo is Tortorella's guy and Tortorella is Aquilini's guy then let's just fire Gillis, trade Schneider for the best eyetalian we can get and be done with it. :lol:
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

You'd think they would have discussed this prior to the hiring.

I guess we'll find out @ 11.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

$lacker wrote:There have been some rumblings that Luongo could be "Tort's Guy", although its all clearly conjecture at this point.

However, if Gillis truly believes that there is a 2-3 year window to win with this group I would have no problems keeping Lu around to take the majority of the starts and bring another young goalie in to mentor under him (Eriksson or Lack). Especially if we could get a nice package of assets back for 35.
Rumblings from where? The only thing I've seen are posts from people on message boards suggesting this could be the case, but nothing from any credible sources.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

dbr wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Keep Luongo. Let him refuse to report then we can suspend him. Problem solved :mrgreen:
He will still count against the cap....
I assume you're thinking of Tim Thomas, who counted no matter what because he'd signed his deal after turning 35.
Luongo will count against the cap because his contract is greater than 7 years in length regardless if he plays or not

http://www.capgeek.com/recapture-calculator/
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

ukcanuck wrote:Whats fucked up is the Bernier and luongo are worth the same in trade value? Bernier more so since that trade got done.
IIRC Bernier doesn't have a contract that runs for the next 9 years :roll:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Vader wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Whats fucked up is the Bernier and luongo are worth the same in trade value? Bernier more so since that trade got done.
IIRC Bernier doesn't have a contract that runs for the next 9 years :roll:
Well you were obviously just on capgeek so I'm inclined to take your word for it.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Vader wrote:Keep Luongo. Let him refuse to report then we can suspend him. Problem solved :mrgreen:
[/quote][/quote]

Luongo will count against the cap because his contract is greater than 7 years in length regardless if he plays or not

If Luongo refuses to report because he is demanding a trade he can be suspended. A suspended players cap does not count against the cap. His full cap hit does not apply if he signed the contract before age 35, it is the new cap recapture clause that applies and it is split between any team having the advantage of the lower cap in some strange pro rated way. In fact it could be worse for us.

But all of this aside he won't fail to report, he won't be suspended and he won't be bought out, this year. I think MG is stubborn enough to keep him one more year fi he has to and buy out Ballard and keep Booth on LTIR for as long as possible.
The only HW the Canucks need
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hockey Widow wrote:[I think MG is stubborn enough to keep him one more year fi he has to and buy out Ballard and keep Booth on LTIR for as long as possible.
There is no way Gillis is going to go through a full season of what the team went through last year. He tried to give him away at the deadline and he'll trade him for a song if that's all he's offered.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Ok I know it's pukelund BUTT, WTF does this even mean?

Philly Buys Out Bryzgalov (E5), Luongo to Flyers (E4)
June 25, 2013, 1:59 PM ET [348 Comments]
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email Share on print More Sharing Services 14
Eklund
RSS • Archive • CONTACT
To the surprise of no one, the Flyers have bought out Ilya Bryzgalov. From what I've been hearing today, it looks like Philly may have a plan underway to acquire Roberto Luongo -- not by trade.

More to come...
How the fuck is Philly going to land Lou without trading for him. Unless GMMG is planning a buy out?
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ODB wrote:Ok I know it's pukelund BUTT, WTF does this even mean?

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email Share on print More Sharing Services 14
Eklund
RSS • Archive • CONTACT
To the surprise of no one, the Flyers have bought out Ilya Bryzgalov. From what I've been hearing today, it looks like Philly may have a plan underway to acquire Roberto Luongo -- not by trade.

More to come...
How the fuck is Philly going to land Lou without trading for him. Unless GMMG is planning a buy out?
Yeah, that's one way to get around the big contract buy him out trade something back allow the Philly Steaks to sign at a reduced price...viola....everybody is happy...except Dave (Nonuts :wink: )
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Arachnid wrote:
ODB wrote:Ok I know it's pukelund BUTT, WTF does this even mean?

Eklund
RSS • Archive • CONTACT

More to come...
Yeah, that's one way to get around the big contract buy him out trade something back allow the Philly Steaks to sign at a reduced price...viola....everybody is happy...except Dave (Nonuts :wink: )
But what's to stop Lou from signing in Florida for $2.75 a year?
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

ODB wrote:
Why do you think Eklund has to mean anything? Philly clearly must have a plan to bolster their goaltending however. We'll see what happens. If HW is right - and she often is - and Gillis might be prepared to hold onto Lu for yet ANOTHER season if the price isn't right, it really WILL be a total gong-show and distraction. This is one of the rare times I am rooting for HW to be dead wrong.