Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Coaches canned

Postby sagebrush » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 am

Stevens seems the most promising prospective coach (assuming Tippet re-signs). Gillis is mining the interviews for ideas.

While Stevens would help turn it around, it ain't enough. Still waiting on Gillis for signs of substantive changes to team culture. Significant roster changes please.

Torts would change the team culture & provide a three ring media circus. Possibly at the cost of losing the room in record time, and convincing the Sedins to go home. A high risk move with low probability of success.
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby rikster » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:12 pm

sagebrush wrote: Gillis is mining the interviews for ideas.

I think he is also mining for associate coaches...Many of those being interviewed have previously been head coaches and are now working as asssistants on coaching staffs in hopes that they can secure another head coaching job in the future...

And those who are unemployed need to find work, and if its not as a head coach then being an assistant is still work....

As much as AV and Bowness were joined at the hip, who would be on the roladex to draw an assistant coach from if a John Stevens type of hire is made as head coach?

If Stevens is the leading candidate for head coach, it's interesting to guess which of the other candidates if any will be added to fill out the coaching staff....

Take care....
rikster
MVP
MVP

Postby RoyalDude » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:59 pm

Some bits on John Stevens

His first season with the Flyers saw his team set a franchise record for consecutive losses (10 games) and finish the 2006–07 season with the club's worst record in its 40-year history. The Flyers set an NHL record for the biggest drop off in points from one season to the next – 101 points in the 2005–06 season to 56 points in the 2006–07 season for lowest point total in the league.
However, as stunning as their fall from grace was the previous season, Stevens guided the Flyers to an immediate renaissance in 2007–08. The Flyers won 42 games and amassed 95 points in the regular season under Stevens's guidance. In the playoffs, the Flyers beat the Washington Capitals in the first round and upset the top-seeded Montreal Canadiens in the second round before falling to the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Eastern Conference Finals. For this, The Hockey News honored Stevens with their Coach of the Year award.
Stevens was fired by the Flyers on December 4, 2009 after a 13–11–1 start and with a team expected to be a Stanley Cup favorite sitting in 10th place in the Eastern Conference.[1]
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby dbr » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:26 am

He coached a shitty team

Next year he was named coach of the year by a respected media outfit

Then he got fired

Nice detective work there Dude.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Lancer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:30 am

dbr wrote:He coached a shitty team

Next year he was named coach of the year by a respected media outfit

Then he got fired

Nice detective work there Dude.

DBR, you should know better than to argue against the Dude's carefully and misleadingly selected use of the truth!!!
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Arachnid » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:41 am

Stevens & Torts? That's it? I'd rather have Iron Mike :?
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby the Dogsalmon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:45 am

cjc wrote:Just don't bring in Torts. Can anyone say "trainwreck"?

gillis/trainwreck...same situation...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Jovocop » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:47 am

I am not sure how credible this guy is.

BroiledSports™ ‏@BroiledSports
According to ESPN Radio John Tortorella will be named the head coach of the Vancouver #Canucks as early as next week
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:57 am

Jovocop wrote:I am not sure how credible this guy is.

According to ESPN Radio John Tortorella will be named the head coach of the Vancouver #Canucks as early as next week

Hopefully... Not very
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby SKYO » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:00 am

Well Lindy Ruff got a interview yesterday and Stevens will get an interview Friday?

So I can't see how Torts got the ok for a job on one interview, unless the Aquamen have decided it already. :eh:
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:02 am

rats19 wrote:
Jovocop wrote:I am not sure how credible this guy is.

Hopefully... Not very

Agreed. I am not a big fan of Tortorella.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:05 am

SKYO wrote:Well Lindy Ruff got a interview yesterday and Stevens will get an interview Friday?

So I can't see how Torts got the ok for a job on one interview, unless the Aquamen have decided it already. :eh:

You mean like how they did an exhaustive search for a GM, when they had already hired MG? You mean the show interviews they did so they could say they looked intensely and thought he was the best man for the job?

Well, at least as far as the coach goes they're not doing phone interviews and claiming those were exhaustive interviews. They're actually making candidates fly to Vancouver this time.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Aaronp18 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:14 am

SKYO wrote:Well Lindy Ruff got a interview yesterday and Stevens will get an interview Friday?

Well there is thought out there that the Canucks are hiring for the head coaching job in Vancouver as well as the associates.

They are also looking at hiring for the AHL coaching positions.

This is the first time that Gillis et al are almost completely revamping their coaching staff. And if the Utica franchise comes through they do need to hire all staffing positions there fairly quickly as well.
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Arachnid » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:22 am

Jovocop wrote:
rats19 wrote:Hopefully... Not very

Oh God no, Why can't it be Ruff? His wife is Gaye so BD would love her! :thumbs:
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby Eddy Punch Clock » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:24 am

Arachnid wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
rats19 wrote:Hopefully... Not very

Oh God no, Why can't it be Ruff? His wife is Gaye so BD would love her! :thumbs:

Most gayes do like it ruff....um... so I'm told.
2011..... the one that got away.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC 1st Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat