Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Coaches canned

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I liked AV but agree with the consensus ... shelf life had expired.

I hope Gillis' outside of the box thinking doesn't go too "outside" and he brings in a dud. I'll be honest it kind of has me worried that this is his first time hiring a bench boss since he became a GM... :eh:
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I don't know the coaches well but I hope who ever he picks works in young guys better, can change up the game plan mid game, but most of all .... hold the players accountable.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Gallagher in the province..don't get Lindy ruff too defensive
http://www.theprovince.com/touch/sports ... rel=894638
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

AV and his assistants have had some serious success with this team, 10/11 was a sweet ride, and could just as easily have ended in total bliss, but the way the special teams plummeted from top of the league to meh indicates that they have had problems switching tactics when Plan A goes wrong.

I have a problem with teams that change coaches more often than most of us change shirts, but this was probably necessary.

I wish Gillis good luck in finding the right replacement, and hopefully next season, around this time of year, the twins (and Luongo?) will finally become Triple Gold members. 8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

My guess is that Eakins will be first choice, but he may be first choice for others as well.

Ruff....I agree with Gallagher (I feel the need to take a shower) in that he is similar to what AV has brought...able to get a team to the cusp but not any further.

Boucher I don't know much about other than he got tuned out quick....real quick. Has he learned enough from that experience that he is ready to take the reins again?

Tippet...I don't think he would be that bad. He is a good coach that gets his players working hard and he has coached teams with talent and those lacking talent. Into the conference finals twice. The problem here is the whole Phoenix situation. byt the time that crap is sorted out the canucks likely want a coach in place. I would think they want a guy in place well before the draft so that some input can be provided in terms of player acquisitions and roster assessment.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I agree that Lindy Ruff is not the right choice. I don't actually get the fascination with him. He was not that successful in Buffalo. I'm also not big on Boucher; he had nice offensive talent in TB and wasted it, we don't want that. He's gimmicky and seems like a tool. I have a feeling it might be someone off the board, really not sure who, but I don't see it being Tippet either. (apparently due to league rules unless Phoenix fires him the Canucks cannot get to him prior to June 30, and Gillis will need to name his coach before then). Maybe it will be Eakins, although I'm always wary of the overhype that comes from anyone associated with the leaves. I still kind of like the idea of Larry Robinson, just not sure if he is that up for a head coaching gig.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Boucher had some awful teams to work with. A small handful of really great forwards up front, one or two defensemen and after Dwayne Rolosson remembered how old he is, no goaltender.

This year looked pretty ugly in Tampa but I am not a fan of the job Steve Yzerman has done (maybe his priorities just don't include icing a winning team right now). Anyway I am certainly not someone to say I know for a fact Boucher would (or would not) work out but there are a lot of reasons why Tampa could have been awful this year beyond the coach.

Tant I know you probably saw many many more Bolts games than I did this year - do you really feel they had tuned Boucher out there?
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

tantalum wrote:My guess is that Eakins will be first choice, but he may be first choice for others as well.

Ruff....I agree with Gallagher (I feel the need to take a shower) in that he is similar to what AV has brought...able to get a team to the cusp but not any further.

Boucher I don't know much about other than he got tuned out quick....real quick. Has he learned enough from that experience that he is ready to take the reins again?

Tippet...I don't think he would be that bad. He is a good coach that gets his players working hard and he has coached teams with talent and those lacking talent. Into the conference finals twice. The problem here is the whole Phoenix situation. byt the time that crap is sorted out the canucks likely want a coach in place. I would think they want a guy in place well before the draft so that some input can be provided in terms of player acquisitions and roster assessment.
It's too bad that MG waited so long this year, some good candidates have already got jobs.
Who knows, with AV and Bowness on the market maybe somebody else will make a move
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Zamboni Driver wrote: It's too bad that MG waited so long this year, some good candidates have already got jobs.
Who knows, with AV and Bowness on the market maybe somebody else will make a move
I think i mentioned that had this not been a shortened year I felt AV would have been gone by Christmas (if not sooner). The short year made things difficult from a decision making point of view. Do you make the change coming out of the lockout and have it take 30 games for a new way of doing things take effect? Or do you go with the status quo knowing it will get you to the playoffs and see what happens? I can understand the frustration of going with the latter but from a purely logistical sense I also get why that was done. And really it allowed for the shortcomings of the team to be truly highlighted and the previous year wasn't just a fluke or let down. Sometimes that extra time is needed so you don't jump the gun.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

dbr wrote: Tant I know you probably saw many many more Bolts games than I did this year - do you really feel they had tuned Boucher out there?
I'm nowhere near Tampa! But I did catch a decent number. And first let me say that Yzerman has not done a good job of setting up his team for success. He went the cheap way on goaltending and they never had a hope of doing anything this year. I think he's finding out how much harder it is to build an NHL team over an Olympic team full of all-stars. But yes the players were tuning him out and if I recall it was getting pretty obvious. Here is what Bobby mac had to say:

"Key vet TB players were shutting down/tuning out. Yzerman much rather would've liked to assess at season's end, but problem was snowballing."

Ferraro:
"dead Tbay bench Thursday in Toronto , no fight noticeable except for St Louis - and he wore frustrations pretty clearly"

But it was a curious situation as insinuated by the Mackenzie statement, the young players were buying in but the vets weren't. The vets won the battle. Some would argue that Yzerman made the wrong choice and perhaps should have worked on shipping some vets out (would depend on how many were disgruntled and if a trade would have shaken the others enough to buy in). At the time they were still in the playoff race I believe as the Caps had just begun to catch fire.

Time will tell if the vet-coach dynamic was rotten or if simply the core is rotten. If the core is rotten a new coach won't change anything. That's the difference I see with Boucher and AV. I do think the players played the system AV and coaching staff gave them. They bought in. They didn't set out to get the coach fired like the vets in Tampa essentially seem to have done. That said, the players clearly weren't being inspired by AV anymore to go above and beyond so some dissatisfaction certainly existed.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

FAN wrote:He is defense first but I don't buy that he can't coach offense. Tippett preaches a hard-working grinding style which is the direction Gillis seem to want to go.
Does he, or was he just making the most out of a low talent situation in Phoenix? AV coached a very conservative Canucks team in 2006/07 and then went on to coach the highest scoring team in the league in 2010/11.

If he's available, Tippett has to be the front runner IMO.
Last edited by herb on Thu May 23, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

He had to go . Good coach but there was a clear disconnect between player and coach, not to mention the one between GM and coach. If I was away for three years and didn't follow the team, i would know this is the right move. Over at the mongoloid farm, 90 % of the tards are panning the move so it is likely a good decision to fire him. The next time the mongoloids are right about something hockey related will be the first.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Thanks tant. I know you're still a thousand miles or so away from Tampa but if you've seen one of their games this year that's one more than I have.

Interesting to hear about the dynamic going in Tampa. I can't imagine the vets here taking that kind of tactic, but it's still not encouraging to see Boucher had trouble like this.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

AV was a decent coach, however it's what he couldn't do that cost him his job, and that is make adjustments during a game. While Cherry was quick to criticize Gillis, who no doubt is now under scrutiny as well, for throwing AV under the bus, there is no excuse for the Canuck power play to be as perpetually aenemic as it was, and for what is now a veteran team to enter two consecutive post seasons looking totally bewildered and unprepared for what was to come.

Assuming Gillis is paying more than lip service to the fact that this team needs to get younger, hopefully he hires someone who is willing to live with the mistakes younger players make, and actually allow them to develop, rather than bench them in favor of 30 yr. old career AHL ers. It seemed with AV that the coaching process stopped during a game, and it was left to the younger players to figure out what was expected of them and if they didn't they were benched.

Possibilities: Eakins and Tippet certainly have to be right up there.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

dbr wrote: it's still not encouraging to see Boucher had trouble like this.
One look at him slapping his hands together like that says it all. That is such a high school PhysED teacher thing to do. I hope he isn't coming here as it would be much of the same I suspect. You have to earn the respect of the players when you're so green...not command it via slapping hands and angry faces
If you need air...call it in