Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Coaches canned

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya for sure MG's stick is running thin right now. When eh took over the team the word I heard was that AV would be canned. Somewhere between that message and MG meeting with AV he decided to keep AV. It was not a popular choice with ownership at the time as he was seen as a BB and Nonis boy. This may be MG's only chance to get a coach that he chooses from the get go. He has got to be on a short leash right now. If this team fails to go deep next season one has to think MG will be shown the door.

HE has got to trim the fat as RD says and get some new blood into the line up. So far it appears he thinks he can accomplish that with younger kids. We will see I guess.

But it is hard to find any MG supporters out there right now.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

herb wrote:
Topper wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Still high on the list but word is that the Canucks believe, hope, that Tippet will be available July 1 and that is their guy. ..........
So from what I was told today as long as there is a chance that Tippet will become available the Canucks will not be making any coaching offers.
That explains the rush to sign Sestito.
Whooosh.
SAR casm
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

rikster wrote:
sagebrush wrote: Gillis is mining the interviews for ideas.
I think he is also mining for associate coaches...Many of those being interviewed have previously been head coaches and are now working as asssistants on coaching staffs in hopes that they can secure another head coaching job in the future...

And those who are unemployed need to find work, and if its not as a head coach then being an assistant is still work....

As much as AV and Bowness were joined at the hip, who would be on the roladex to draw an assistant coach from if a John Stevens type of hire is made as head coach?

If Stevens is the leading candidate for head coach, it's interesting to guess which of the other candidates if any will be added to fill out the coaching staff....

Take care....
That's just retarded

We need to focus on a head coach not talk of associate ones, ffs man maybe you should take care of your renal glands...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

You know what Spidey, that's seriously not cool. Cut rikster some slack bro.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Rumsfeld wrote:You know what Spidey, that's seriously not cool. Cut rikster some slack bro.
In 90 posts he has not said one god damn relevant thing and then he has the nerve to tell us to take care...

Take Care of what? Business? Hockey? Petunias? Aunt May? Prostrate?
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Arachnid wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:You know what Spidey, that's seriously not cool. Cut rikster some slack bro.
In 90 posts he has not said one god damn relevant thing and then he has the nerve to tell us to take care...

Take Care of what? Business? Hockey? Petunias? Aunt May? Prostrate?
Whatever man, I'm just sick of watching good guys like rikster get bullied around. I like his posts and look forward to reading more of them.

Stay gold rikster, don't let this guy get to you.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Hockey Widow wrote:Just heard that Torts is not the number one choice at this point. Maybe his interview didn't go well.

Still high on the list but word is that the Canucks believe, hope, that Tippet will be available July 1 and that is their guy. So they are doing all the interviews with all other available candidates and sort of ranking them but are waiting and will wait to see if tippet becomes available. If he does I expect them to make him an offer. If they don't get Tippet the plan is to have all the other candidates ranked and ready to make an offer at that point.

So from what I was told today as long as there is a chance that Tippet will become available the Canucks will not be making any coaching offers.
So , we will either be a "Tippet" style team.. grinding and trapping our way into a playoff spot ( 3rd in division maybe? or conference wild card ? ).. or we bring in an Asshole coach who reams a few underperforming players and at least brings in exciting hockey ? I prefer the latter.. It really doesn't matter who the hell is coaching neither JC playing the good shepherd act or Satan with a pitchfork jamming their butts will get a Stanley for the team as its presently made up.. Unless Gillis rebuilds the team under different on ice leadership ( Yeah I mean the Sedin's ) they aren't going anywhere .. so lets get a little entertainment .. Hire Torts :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Ooops... sorry about double post :oops:
Last edited by Tiger on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Woohoo, John Tortorella's "exciting" brand of hockey. We can bring in Ryan Johnson to run the power play.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Let's hope that Tippett makes a quick decision as to whether he's coming back and is allowed to speak to other teams (based on his relationship with Maloney, it's a strong possibility).
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Tiger wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Just heard that Torts is not the number one choice at this point. Maybe his interview didn't go well.

Still high on the list but word is that the Canucks believe, hope, that Tippet will be available July 1 and that is their guy. So they are doing all the interviews with all other available candidates and sort of ranking them but are waiting and will wait to see if tippet becomes available. If he does I expect them to make him an offer. If they don't get Tippet the plan is to have all the other candidates ranked and ready to make an offer at that point.

So , we will either be a "Tippet" style team.. grinding and trapping our way into a playoff spot ( 3rd in division maybe? or conference wild card ? ).. or we bring in an Asshole coach who reams a few underperforming players and at least brings in exciting hockey ? I prefer the latter.. It really doesn't matter who the hell is coaching neither JC playing the good shepherd act or Satan with a pitchfork jamming their butts will get a Stanley for the team as its presently made up.. Unless Gillis rebuilds the team under different on ice leadership ( Yeah I mean the Sedin's ) they aren't going anywhere .. so lets get a little entertainment .. Hire Torts :)
If the choice is between Torts and Tippett.... I'd have to hold my nose and point to Torts. At least the guy coached some offensive hockey in Tampa once upon a time. Tippett will have us pining for the entertainment of Vigneault's first couple of years behind the bench in Vancouver.

Having said that, if the choice is between 'A' or 'B', can I choose 'C'

...please???

A coaching change will make a significant difference, but agree that the room has to get some old people out and some new people in if the team is going to move forward. There has to be more to this summer than a new coach, some extra picks for Luongo and the Young Stars competition.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Lancer wrote:
If the choice is between Torts and Tippett.... I'd have to hold my nose and point to Torts. At least the guy coached some offensive hockey in Tampa once upon a time. Tippett will have us pining for the entertainment of Vigneault's first couple of years behind the bench in Vancouver.

Having said that, if the choice is between 'A' or 'B', can I choose 'C'

...please???

A coaching change will make a significant difference, but agree that the room has to get some old people out and some new people in if the team is going to move forward. There has to be more to this summer than a new coach, some extra picks for Luongo and the Young Stars competition.
Unfortunately, entertaining hockey is only successful in the regular season, not the playoffs.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Dave Tippett served as an assistant coach on Andy Murray's staff from 1999-2002 before being named the 19th coach in Stars franchise history on May 21, 2002. Tippet was relieved of his duties as head coach of the Stars on June 10, 2009.

In all three seasons Tippett was in Los Angeles the Kings qualified for the playoffs. Under Tippett's direction, the Kings’ power play led the entire NHL with a 20.7% success rate. In 2000-01, the power play ranked seventh and in 1999-2000 it finished 10th. The year before Tippett came aboard the Kings, in 1998-99, the Kings power play unit ranked 24th in the league. During the 2000-01 campaign Los Angeles tallied 245 goals which were the most the Kings had recorded since the 1993-94 season.
DeLevering since 1999.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

donlever wrote:Dave Tippett served as an assistant coach on Andy Murray's staff from 1999-2002 before being named the 19th coach in Stars franchise history on May 21, 2002. Tippet was relieved of his duties as head coach of the Stars on June 10, 2009.

In all three seasons Tippett was in Los Angeles the Kings qualified for the playoffs. Under Tippett's direction, the Kings’ power play led the entire NHL with a 20.7% success rate. In 2000-01, the power play ranked seventh and in 1999-2000 it finished 10th. The year before Tippett came aboard the Kings, in 1998-99, the Kings power play unit ranked 24th in the league. During the 2000-01 campaign Los Angeles tallied 245 goals which were the most the Kings had recorded since the 1993-94 season.
I hear what you're saying, Don, but I'm still not buying it.

Those gaudy offensive totals are more than 10 years old and the league has changed since then. Hell, the Canucks' best powerplay totals are not even three years-old but to look at the powerplay this season was painful - even though the tactics didn't change much. If that's what happens with three-year-old powerplay thinking, I cringe to think what Tippett's 10-year-old ideas would create out there. Phoenix's powerplay numbers don't point to any genius on his part, so can anyone say his offensive thinking has evolved since then?

What he has shown as a head coach is a consistent evolution of his defensive approach to the game - to the detriment of any semblance of offense. You can't say he didn't have the horses because he didn't even try, as anybody who watched any Coyote game would agree.

Instead of using mouldy, rusted examples to speculate what kind of coach Tippett could be in Vancouver, let's go with a fresher example from Phoenix of what kind of coach he is: an all-defense coach who relies on a suffocating style and an above-average goalie to get teams into the playoffs but rarely any further, and who destroys more prospects than he develops.

BTW Jovo, Vigneault played that 'playoff' defensive trap style his first couple of years. How well did that work out?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...well I am certainly not going to go back and forth on this with you or anyone else but rather was just pointing out that Tippet has shown an affinity for the offensive game and suggestions otherwise are a misnomer.

Ray Ferraro claims that Tippet is a vibrant hockey mind who is as detailed as anyone in the league in preparation, playing styles and working with what he is given as well as noting that he would be perfectly capable of coaching an offensively minded scheme.
DeLevering since 1999.