Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Coaches canned

Post by Lancer »

rats19 wrote:Is there any coach capable of coaching in an acceptable fashion/level of our Vancouver Canucks
Appears not. Not available at least.. Fuck we really are pathetic.. ally devoted
I'm for Stevens, myself. The one constant here, though, is there's no consensus as to who should be the coach.

I almost pity the poor sot, whoever gets hired. :lol:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Not worried about Tippett at all, he's the best coach that could be available July 1st, he's already capable of adapting to what players he's dealt in any given situation.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

SKYO wrote:Not worried about Tippett at all, he's the best coach that could be available July 1st, he's already capable of adapting to what players he's dealt in any given situation.
Yes, he's already capable of implementing the most boring system imaginable in any given situation.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Lancer wrote:He trapped his teams into the playoffs with no offensive innovation or production. He hasn't won anything - not even a division title. If Tippett gets hired, wake me when both he and Gillis are fired. I won't be able to stay awake, let alone watch.
I think there are some real clear red flags on a guy like Tippett.

Still he is supposed to be an 'advanced stats' guy which is consistent with what the Canucks have done since Mike Gillis took over, he gets results out of his teams that are consistently much better than his roster looks on paper, and it is possible that he has more to offer than what we've seen him do with the hands he's been dealt in Phoenix and Dallas - I don't think anyone expected AV to ever preside over the league's best offense and powerplay either.

By the way Tippett does have a division title in Dallas (his first year, and again in 2005-06). He also has two conference finals appearances, not stellar but not awful either.

For all the talk about the Coyotes' awful offensive output, they were 13th overall in 5 on 5 goals scored in his first year, 9th in his second and third years and dropped down to 15th this past year. It's the powerplay that's done that team in (28th, 23rd, 29th, 25th), and you'd have to think that with vastly more talented players and probably an assistant coach running the powerplays there's little reason Tippett couldn't preside over an effective powerplay here.

I do think his AV-like tendencies with younger players would be a concern, particularly given it seems we are going to try to give some younger players a chance to learn on the fly this season. That being said I don't know if Phoenix's forward prospects are "vaunted," I'm not an expert but I don't see any highly rated forwards that could/should have broken into the league by now.. there is the Kyle Turris thing and they've had some high picks (MacLean, Tikhonov) bust but otherwise we're not talking about a guy doing everything he can to hold back a burgeoning crop of stars. Young defensemen seem to do pretty well there though, Yandle as you mentioned and now Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

Anyway, I would think the Canucks expect their next head coach to be willing to accept a certain degree of "collaboration" with the front office and I would imagine that includes following the mandate that Mike Gillis has already mentioned publicly (giving young players an extended chance to prove themselves at the NHL level, managerial involvement in filling out the coaching staff, etc).. I'd bet that kind of "collaboration," done well, would hedge against a lot of the aspects of Tippett's resume that look unsettling at this point.

All that being said, like herb (I think it was) said earlier, we have no real clue what goes on with these coaches and all we can really do when we find out who the new guy is, is shrug our shoulders and wait to see what happens.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove [color=#FF0000]on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:26 am[/color] wrote: Dave Tippett makes Alain Vigneault look like Ryan Walter when it comes to young players.

And I'll go on record now as being opposed to the degree of "collaboration" it appears GMMG demands.

No self-respecting coach would wanna be a part of dat dere in my ever-so humble opinion.

Mike, you get to hire the coach of your choice... and if you don't like the job he does you fire him.

Also, I believe head coaches should be allowed to bring in their own assistant coaches.

But what do I know....
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Yah even the hiring of a coach for is getting strange....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I've said before that if it won us the cup I could give a fuck whether we did it by winning every game 1-0 in OT.

But it seems to me we have a choice here about what direction we take the team and what kind of hockey our guys play for the next 3-5 years. I think we have the personnel even now to play a much more forecheck-intensive and aggressive style than we have been for the last couple seasons. Our team was hardest to play against afew years ago when we sent two guys deep to check the shit out of folks. AV abandoned that style completely last year for whatever reason.

So yeah, let's bring in some size and skill up front, play some exciting hockey and win that way. :drink:

I think it's a little sad that Stevens is looking like the best available bench-boss for your Vancouver Canucks at this point. If only the Redwings had shit the bed and jettisoned Babs...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Can Tippett coach offense? Honestly wondering, because I always recall his teams being painful to watch.

Maybe Gillis' "we want an offensive brand of hockey" really means, we want to offend people when they watch us.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: AV abandoned that style completely last year for whatever reason.
"Team management"? :scowl:

I dunno, I keep losing more and more faith in Gillis.

Not sure if RD has brainwashed me...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: AV abandoned that style completely last year for whatever reason.
"Team management"? :scowl:

I dunno, I keep losing more and more faith in Gillis.

Not sure if RD has brainwashed me...
You drank his Koolaids :(
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think MG is like most GM's, he has his say but ultimately lets the coach decide what to do and how to coach. At least I have heard that MG has a lot to say but never to the point of ordering his coach to do something. Last year's playoff's was somewhat of an exception in that MG wanted Cory in net because the team was trying to decide if they were going to trade Cory of Luongo. And in retrospect it may have blown up in his face but it certainly got Luongo willing to waive his NTC.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: You drank his Koolaids :(
OR... he convinced me to stop drinking GMMG's koolaid. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:

RD and cool AIDS, like popcorn and butter.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: I think MG is like most GM's, he has his say but ultimately lets the coach decide what to do and how to coach. At least I have heard that MG has a lot to say but never to the point of ordering his coach to do something.
Then why on Earth is he always blathering on about "Team Management"?
Hockey Widow wrote: Last year's playoff's was somewhat of an exception
uh huh....
Hockey Widow wrote: in that MG wanted Cory in net because the team was trying to decide if they were going to trade Cory or Luongo. And in retrospect it may have blown up in his face but it certainly got Luongo willing to waive his NTC.
Well perhaps it would have been better NOT to stab your biggest-contract player in the back?

You know, the one you once made captain?

Just sayin: something stinks.

Last edited by Strangelove on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

RD and cool AIDS, like popcorn and butter.
ouch, EVERYONE is fucking RD over. :)
____
Try to focus on someday.