Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Coaches canned

Post by Lancer »

Torts may reportedly be a strong candidate, but I sure as hell hope he doesn't get hired. It would be open warfare in the dressing room as well as in the community at large in addition to the press room.

He's a Keenan clone with less manners in public. Keenan won a Cup, want him back??? I just see Torts doing to the team what Keenan did after taking over the bench. In that event, wake me up in a decade when the Canucks are competing again.

No doubt that it's apparent that a country club atmosphere has developed in the dressing room, and it's something that needs to be addressed, but you don't need to hire a guy who just throws frag grenades in the press gallery and dressing room while yelling at everybody when they don't all flop on the ice blocking shots.

There has to be somebody better than him. :|
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Mondi wrote:Given Gillis' arrogrant approach to management, the media and, the fans, would it surprise anyone if he hired John Tortorella?

These guys seems like two peas in a pod.
I'll take sagacious condescension over outright bullying any day. To take your simile further, your talking peas and beans here.
Mondi wrote:But, does this not remind everyone of the 1995-2000 era? Shortly after a cup run, a few more playoff appearance before a return to mismanagement and obscurity. Right down to the aging, but still talented, core of players and the (possible) bringing in of a reckless but formerly succesful coach?

Only thing missing is the aquisition of...Jerome Iginla, or perhaps Zdeno Chara? Ha.
You could be forgiven for making those comparisons. Thing is, Gillis - for all of your guys' hatred of the man - is not Fatty Quinn, nor is he Crazy Keenan. As well, sorry but there is nobody currently who could fill the role of that lump of dogshit Messier. Iginla is too classy and Chara... he just doesn't roll that way, it seems. For all malaise in the dressing room, it's not like guys are banging each others' wives nor are there a plethora of Russian head-cases around. We may (hopefully not) see some similarities going forward, but I don't see history repeating itself.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

You're also forgetting the ownership mess from those days,
Griffiths giving way to McCaw who was t even a hockey fan and his fucked up henchmen...

Those were ugly days indeed...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The team sucks. The same players playing another similar system won't win shit. Can we agree on this?

So changes are desperately needed while these same players are still playing at the top(or near) of their games. I figure 2 more years then the Sedins will be 40 point players.

The only way we have a hope of extracting one more serious cup run is by throwing an extreme wrench in the works.

Cue Torts. He's a prick. He's going to be hated by media, fans and probably by the players. Who the fuck cares? He will call out these pussies(hopefully) and demand accountability. He will embarass them. Good.

I want a fucking Stanley Cup and this coming season is likely the last gasp of this core to get 'er done. If they flop again it'll be alot deeper cuts next offseason...I promise. How attached are we to these players as fans? They make millions to play a fuckin game. Even when they're shamed and embarassed in the media by a dickhead like torts they still drive home in their maseratis to their British Properties mansions and cry themselves to
sleep on 1000000 thread count Egyptian cotton pillows. Tough life!

So for one last hurrah...one last chance at a cup....bring in the last chance coach. He gets 2, maybe 3 years max then the whole shit-eroo goes bye bye anyways. What the hell do we have to lose?
If you need air...call it in
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

I really don't see how Torts is a good fit here in terms of the way Torts conducts himself in front of the media.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

FAN wrote:I really don't see how Torts is a good fit here in terms of the way Torts conducts himself in front of the media.
Honestly Fan, who cares if he's a prick to reporters? Why does this seem to matter so?

I don't know how you felt watching our team get totally bitch slapped by a shitty sharks team but I work in Alberta and the amount of dog shit I had to eat from these homos pisses me right off.

My respect for this core took a huge nose dive this year and I hope to fuck they get blown so far out of their comfort zone by an a-hole like Torts that they wake the fuck up and start acting like men...with balls. Giant veiny, hairy mutherfuckin balls. Imagine that!
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

FAN wrote:I really don't see how Torts is a good fit here in terms of the way Torts conducts himself in front of the media.
Orcasfan may pee her pants.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well, he might inspire some players with NTC begging to waive them. That would be a good thing.

I heard this rumour way back in May and didn't believe he would really be hired. My friend tells me interest is mutually high. I still don't believe it and won't unless it happens. He has talked to a handful of players about it and so far they have been positive and think he would be a great coach here. Obviously something I am missing in this story cause I don't see it.

As for the locker room country club atmosphere, I don't buy that either. I do think some of the core run the ship more than they should but not in an exclusive club atmosphere. One thing with Torts is he may have the balls to break up the twins and may have a short leash with them on the PP.

Players like Kassian would get more ice time and vets would not get the free pass on lack lustre play that they got from AV. But I still can't get my head around him actually being selected by MG. But as I said, as far as some of the players so far they seem to like the idea.
The only HW the Canucks need
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

If one of the objectives for a new coach is to work on developing young players, I'm not so sure how Torts then fits here. He had some successes (Callahan and a number of the D men did blossom under his coaching, it is true) but he can also be brutal, loook at Kreider. I don't know. I didn't see Torts get Nash/Gaborik etc to go to that next level, and his pp was crap, so I don't see the fit. Maybe his nutjob bullying could work for a year or two, pull off a run to the Cup, but that seems a hail mary pass. If Gillis is looking for a coach who can be a long term guy, work with the young guys as you develop the transition to the next core of leaders over the next 5-7 years then Torts is surely the wrong guy. I hope he's not hired. Stevens seems to make sense, and Bylsma is be becomes free.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

herb wrote: Nah, I'm thinking more along the lines of what the Kings did. They recognized that their core wasn’t good enough to get it done along, and added some key pieces like Richards and Carter. They weren’t happy with what their head coach had accomplished, so they made a change.
Simmonds, Schenn and Johnson were not part of their core group. All three were (are) young prospects playing in the big-leagues. Those three (plus a few picks) got the Kings Carter and Richards.

The biggest thing that turned around the King's season was bringing in a new coach. Sutter lit a fire under guys like Brown, Doughty, Richards, Kopitar, Williams, Mitchell, Stoll, Quick and others who were part of the core and still are.

LA traded a young Jack Johnson for a legit 2nd line center and got a new coach. The core remained in-tact.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

vic wrote:
herb wrote: Nah, I'm thinking more along the lines of what the Kings did. They recognized that their core wasn’t good enough to get it done along, and added some key pieces like Richards and Carter. They weren’t happy with what their head coach had accomplished, so they made a change.
Simmonds, Schenn and Johnson were not part of their core group. All three were (are) young prospects playing in the big-leagues. Those three (plus a few picks) got the Kings Carter and Richards.

The biggest thing that turned around the King's season was bringing in a new coach. Sutter lit a fire under guys like Brown, Doughty, Richards, Kopitar, Williams, Mitchell, Stoll, Quick and others who were part of the core and still are.

LA traded a young Jack Johnson for a legit 2nd line center and got a new coach. The core remained in-tact.
It doesn't matter that Simmonds/Schenn/Johnson weren't part of the core (although I think it would be strange to argue Johnson wasn't), what matters is that Carter and Richards are.

Yeah changing the coach is a big deal but if the Canucks added two players of that calibre to their roster without losing any major contributors (here I will mention that Jack Johnson played a lot for that team but was a huge liability) that would get them much further than replacing the guy behind the bench.

I know you won't agree but I think most would believe that adding two high end forwards is probably going to make a bigger difference than replacing the coach.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

ukcanuck wrote:You're also forgetting the ownership mess from those days,
Griffiths giving way to McCaw who was t even a hockey fan and his fucked up henchmen...

Those were ugly days indeed...
Yeah, that was a sad time. Arthur did a great job in lading the Grizz and building GM place, but for whatever reason, he didn't have the resources to keep everything going. So sad, Arthur has been in limbo and has never really found his niche in life ever since.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Mondi wrote:Only thing missing is the aquisition of ... Zdeno Chara? Ha.
Where do I sign up?

In most cases, you can really only guess what a coach is like in the room. All you can analyze is what they present to the media, and how the players are playing. I've never been a huge Torts fan. However, I have to admit when I saw him during the HBO 24/7 series last year he was different then I thought he would be. Who knows how much of that show is reality, but he was not the sort of guy I expected him to be behind the scenes. He seemed much more measured, like there was a method to the madness. He was analyzing video non-stop. That said, it's not like he didn't also yell his ass off at the players.

Does this actually help motivate a hockey player? I don't know, I think most would get sick of it pretty fast.
Last edited by BurningBeard on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yeah that Jeff Carter trade to Kings for Jack Johnson was a thing of beauty.

Off on a tangent! Points wise JJ is almost similar to Edler, good but not a dominant #1 dman.
LA Kings who were lacking scoring prowess got a 3 time 30 goal scorer in Carter, which helped in revitalization and ultimately a Stanley Cup.
*cough* trade Edler for Ryan *cough* I got a cold.

I think it's pretty clear that from the past Cup champions that having a deep top talented forward group is absolutely crucial to win it all, along with a decent quality mix of defense that we would still have sans Edler.

---

Anyways looks like Jacques Martin is getting a interview as well.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

dbr wrote:
Yeah changing the coach is a big deal but if the Canucks added two players of that calibre to their roster without losing any major contributors (here I will mention that Jack Johnson played a lot for that team but was a huge liability) that would get them much further than replacing the guy behind the bench.

I know you won't agree but I think most would believe that adding two high end forwards is probably going to make a bigger difference than replacing the coach.
They already had Richards on the team to start the season and the team still sucked ass.

They added Carter (1 player) and changed the coach and that's what put them over the top.

Had they made that Carter - Johnson trade at the start of the season, they (IMO) probably still would have sucked ass.

The biggest change they made was Sutter - even the players made mention of it over and over in their interviews during the run, how he changed the entire focus of the group and put them all on the same page.