A little Gossip Before I fly Away

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: A little Gossip Before I fly Away

Post by okcanuck »

donlever wrote:...GMMG basically laid it out that his team is going to change to a tighter D minded group.

Thus the coach should have talents in that field.

Hire Larry Robinson.
Robinson would be perfect for this organization.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..off that list (unless Babcock is available which can't be happening can it) would be Eakins.

A big fat no to Boucher.

Thanks for coming Guy.

The TO connection with Dallas Eakins would make it a whole lotta fun as well.
DeLevering since 1999.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

okcanuck wrote:
donlever wrote:...GMMG basically laid it out that his team is going to change to a tighter D minded group.

Thus the coach should have talents in that field.

Hire Larry Robinson.
Robinson would be perfect for this organization.
I read Robinson doesn't actually want to be a head coach anymore. Doesn't like the extra pressure.

Probably concerned with his ticker.
2011..... the one that got away.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote: I read Robinson doesn't actually want to be a head coach anymore. Doesn't like the extra pressure.
Don't know...quick google search finds this however ..

There was a point where Larry Robinson’s name came up when new Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin was on the hunt for a head coach to replace Randy Cunneyworth. The rumour floated around for a couple of days and then fell away and Robinson, who most of us thought had no interest in being an NHL head coach again, signed as an assistant with the San Jose Sharks. Turns out Larry actually was interested in the head coaching job in Montreal, but has he hold the Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson over the weekend, things never worked out.

“I kind of thought of working there (in Montreal) this year, but I guess the writing was on the wall … it wasn’t going to happen. I was supposed to meet with Bergevin (to interview) but we had a big storm and a flood in Florida and I wanted to make sure everything was fine at the farm. I wanted to make sure the horses and my machinery weren’t going to float away,” said Robinson.

“Then he got word I was taking other offers (Sharks general manager Doug Wilson had called out of the blue to see about Robinson moving to San Jose). He did what he had to do and I did what I had to do. They found somebody else,” said Robinson, who scoffed at the suggestion they had to go for a French-Canadian coach after interim coach Randy Cunneyworth was left to hang in the wind.
DeLevering since 1999.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

donlever wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote: I read Robinson doesn't actually want to be a head coach anymore. Doesn't like the extra pressure.
Don't know...quick google search finds this however ..
pffft... thats a fake.

I don't think some random guy on a message board would give me incorrect info donny.

I remember a time ago where your namesake was on the short list to coach in Montreal. I believe it was the "English" thing that kept him from getting the job. I looked him up yesterday but couldn't find anything past his season with the Wolves 2010-2011. Guess he retired from coaching?
2011..... the one that got away.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Personally I would hate having Torts here. His act is old and if we think AV has a short leash on players making mistakes Torts is a lot worse. Torts also has no problem bashing players in the media. I can't see his personality working here or getting along with MG. I don't put much stock in this one but thought I throw it out there.
The only HW the Canucks need
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Hockey Widow wrote: I don't put much stock in this one but thought I throw it out there.
Gossip monger!
DeLevering since 1999.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

donlever wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: I don't put much stock in this one but thought I throw it out there.
Gossip monger!

I'm just an old fat lady that sits in front of my computer all day making up rumours. I thought you knew that about me Donny. I missed you by the way. I had a hard time holding off the pack but I kept faithful to you.
The only HW the Canucks need
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Hockey Widow wrote:
I'm just an old fat lady that sits in front of my computer all day making up rumours. I thought you knew that about me Donny. I missed you by the way. I had a hard time holding off the pack but I kept faithful to you.
lol

I knew you would.

Have a great trip!!!!
DeLevering since 1999.
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

Hockey Widow wrote: The other interesting thing I have heard is that the scuttle butt is that if the NYR lose in round one Torts will be history and he is number one on MG's list to replace AV, should AV not be kept around. I find this hard to believe because of the personality issues involved but its what I hear.
Hmmm...
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

donlever wrote:Hire Larry Robinson.
That would be my choice
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
donlever wrote:
Gossip monger!
Don't ruin my fantasy hw. ;)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

ClamRussel wrote:
donlever wrote:Hire Larry Robinson.
That would be my choice
Yeah, i'm hoping having a former star d-man to coach our defence core would be nothing but positive. I'm hoping he can stabilize the eractic play of edler and bieska and I'm thinking he can really help bring along our young guys in like Tanev and Corrado as well.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:
donlever wrote:
Gossip monger!

Oh no she didn't

*runs away*
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

With the league getting younger and trending towards youth, it might be a good idea to trend away from 'recycled' coaches like robinson and torts and perhaps scour the minors looking for new blood.

That said, I have neither the time nor the inclination to do any research into looking at coaches in the minors....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.