Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Post by Lancer »

dbr wrote:I'm not going to reread the thread just to prove to you that the Edler "witch hunt" is a group of on, maybe two posters and that your characterization of the opinions of most others is, as usual, totally off the mark.

When you make ludicrous claims the burden of proving them is on you - of course I get that you have no interest in that.
+1

Dude's been chasing his tail on this the past page or two. His last post was barely comprehensible, but he keeps trying so I'm waiting for him to proverbially succeed in chomping on his own tail - just for the chuckles. :lol:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I am one who says trade Edler mainly because the core needs to be changed. I have also seen too many games where he is needed most and does not appear. His cap is OK but again it has nothing to do about that, one of either Edler/Bieksa needs to be traded. Also one of the top 6 forwards as well, this teams needs some new blood.

In return I expect the same type of players on a different team that also needs a change of scenery, it would not make this team worse than what we have seen over the past 2 playoffs.

Of course another option is do nothing and hope and pray that the players flip the switch.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Reefer2 wrote:Of course another option is do nothing and hope and pray that the players flip the switch.
I thought that was the plan this season? :?

The only reasons I would trade Edler over Bieksa is Bieksa actually has an edge to his game (which he frankly should rekindle as I didn't see near enough of it this season) which this team needs more of - that and being a righty.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:please fire players agent mike gillis so we can at least have some hope in the future...he is fucking terrible...
Maybe just try huffing the paint thinner instead of drinking it.

thats original...
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

I'm not a big fan of trading Edler but I'd trade him (and even sweeten the pot) if it would get us a top 4 or 5 pick in the draft. Nashville at 4 could be a serious trading partner. The loss of Suter was obvious and Edler would have to be intriguing to them.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ODB wrote:I'm not a big fan of trading Edler but I'd trade him (and even sweeten the pot) if it would get us a top 4 or 5 pick in the draft. Nashville at 4 could be a serious trading partner. The loss of Suter was obvious and Edler would have to be intriguing to them.
So, how do we go about replacing the loss of Edler in the top 2 pairings of our D-core? Keith Ballard?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lancer wrote:

The only reasons I would trade Edler over Bieksa is Bieksa actually has an edge to his game
Bieksa has an edge to his game? Mr. One or Two Meaningless Fights a Year? Rarely Sticks Up For Teammates. Frankly, Edler lays out way better hits, he's big (6'-3, 216 lbs), the smallish Bieksa (6'-0, 206 lbs) gets outmuscled off the puck a fair bit. The guy doesn't scare anyone. Just ask Fiddler :rofl:

I'm trading Bieksa mostly because of his age, he turns 32 in June. Edler just turned 27 in April. The Canucks need to get Bigger, Younger. Bieksa is none of those. Edler is.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Bieksa has a no trade clause in effect and not only does he like it here, he thinks the team has what it takes to win as things are. Why is he waiving?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote:Bieksa has a no trade clause in effect and not only does he like it here, he thinks the team has what it takes to win as things are. Why is he waiving?
Hmm, so are you telling me that no player ever in the NHL with a NTC has never removed it at the request of a GM to accommodate a trade? Wow, ya learn something new everyday here.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Edler (6'-3" - 216lbs) and Garrison (6'-2" 220 lbs) are the only big D-men on the team in the starting 6, the rest of the starting 6 which I imagine being, Bieksa, Hamhius, Corrado and Tanev are small.

Corrado - 6'0 - 190 lbs
Tanev - 6'-2" - 185 lbs
Bieksa - 6'-0" - 206 lbs
Hamhius - 6'-1" - 209 lbs

Ballard - 5'-11" - 207 lbs

You take Edler out of the mix and not replace that size in the new NHL? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Replace him with Ballard?

Geez, did none of you like the way Edler took out Staal at the IIHF Worlds?
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

If you don't trade Edler, who are you going to trade? You can love these players all you want but at the end of the day they've proven they aren't good enough as a team to get the job done. A change is needed. No one is going to want our forwards because that's where our biggest problem has been. You don't trade Garrison or Hamhuis as they've been our best, steadiest defensemen. Bieksa probably wouldn't waive his NTC and wouldn't even get you as much as Edler would. So how are you going to change this team?

Trades I would seriously look at include:

Edler + 24th overall pick for the 3rd overall pick (draft Drouin)
Edler + 24th overall pick for Sean Couturier + 11th overall pick (hopefully we can draft Hunter Shinkaruk here).
Edler + 24th overall pick for 5th overall pick (Sean Monahan) + 35th overall pick.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think most of us agree someone other than just Ballard needs to be moved to get us help up front. I actually don't care if it is Bieksa or Edler. I like them both but I also see the warts in their respective game.

RD I know you know this, most people here advocate trading Edler not because they don't like him or don't see his upside but because they know he will bring back a very good return. But then again I know you know this so why keep going on about it.

If MG can make the changes required and keep all our D men but Ballard then he will earn his stripes but you of all people should know that he can't do that or have you suddenly decided to trust MG?

Out of sincere respect for your opinion I would like to know what you personally think MG should do, how he should do it and how he should improve a team you have blasted all season. Who would you counsel him to trade, not re-sign and in a trade who would you tell him to get back? Go ahead be the GM for a day and enlighten us all on how this team can be re-built, tinkered with, blown up or in any other fashion improved upon. Please be specific because I know you have disapproved of most if not all MG has done and you mock everyone's opinion so please be as specific as you can. I really want to know what you have on your mind because I think you may have the wisdom to reconstruct the Canucks in such a way that they will be winners again. Please RD, just humour me and tell me what would you do if you were the GM of the Canucks, other than fire yourself.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:I think most of us agree someone other than just Ballard needs to be moved to get us help up front. I actually don't care if it is Bieksa or Edler. I like them both but I also see the warts in their respective game.

RD I know you know this, most people here advocate trading Edler not because they don't like him or don't see his upside but because they know he will bring back a very good return. But then again I know you know this so why keep going on about it.

If MG can make the changes required and keep all our D men but Ballard then he will earn his stripes but you of all people should know that he can't do that or have you suddenly decided to trust MG?

Out of sincere respect for your opinion I would like to know what you personally think MG should do, how he should do it and how he should improve a team you have blasted all season. Who would you counsel him to trade, not re-sign and in a trade who would you tell him to get back? Go ahead be the GM for a day and enlighten us all on how this team can be re-built, tinkered with, blown up or in any other fashion improved upon. Please be specific because I know you have disapproved of most if not all MG has done and you mock everyone's opinion so please be as specific as you can. I really want to know what you have on your mind because I think you may have the wisdom to reconstruct the Canucks in such a way that they will be winners again. Please RD, just humour me and tell me what would you do if you were the GM of the Canucks, other than fire yourself.
RD has no opinion. At least none that he actually has the balls to share.

He's a straight up troll that is just out to aggravate everyone and piss on every post that doesn't simply outright slag Gillis.

It was entertaining, and even worth the odd back and forth with him at times. But it has, quite frankly, gotten to be VERY OLD.

I've been looking for the ignore button for months.....
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

1. Click on username
2. Click on "add foe"
3. Everybody wins
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:1. Click on username
2. Click on "add foe"
3. Everybody wins
Thank You. :-)