Roster Questions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If an overhaul of this team is needed, which of the following players who should MG shop around...

Hank and Danny
7%
Edler
25%
Booth
26%
Higgins
5%
Bieksa
9%
Ballard
26%
Hamhuis
1%
None of the above
1%

Total votes: 173

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Roster Questions

Post by Meds »

coco_canuck wrote:If Gaunce or Lain can't crack the line-up, where is the infusion of size to the bottom 6 coming from?

Sestito is big but I'll be impressed if he stick with this team the entire season, let alone next year.

I'd like Weise better if he were the 13th forward, not expected to be a staple on the 4th.

I think the 4th line can be very effective with Richardson at C if he has two big wingers who are good on the forecheck.
Hence the opinion of Weise and Sestito? :P

Although I think that Weise has the wheels to be a good forechecker, Sestito does not.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Mëds wrote:
coco_canuck wrote:If Gaunce or Lain can't crack the line-up, where is the infusion of size to the bottom 6 coming from?

Sestito is big but I'll be impressed if he stick with this team the entire season, let alone next year.

I'd like Weise better if he were the 13th forward, not expected to be a staple on the 4th.

I think the 4th line can be very effective with Richardson at C if he has two big wingers who are good on the forecheck.
Hence the opinion of Weise and Sestito? :P

Although I think that Weise has the wheels to be a good forechecker, Sestito does not.
I seriously doubt Sestito will be anything more than a 13th forward type. Even a guy like Archibald might be better as a 4th line banger, Sestito just isn't fast enough to get in on the forecheck. There's still a few guys left in free agency that might work, guys like Brandon Yip are available for likely a minimum salary.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yip/Richardson/anyone isn't going to wear opponents down.. and given Yip got his walking papers from a team with maybe the worst forward group in the league I doubt he'll be effective enough to make up for that.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Aaronp18 wrote:Even better.

Trade Burrows and Tanev to FLA, get Matthias and their first rounder in 2015. They're gonna suck so it may be McDavid!!

Sign Morrow - $4M
Sign Blum - $660K
Just keep it simple with Burrows for Matthias, an el perfecto trade for this team, if we are going to try to win it all we need that stellar two-way 3rd line center right now.

However I'd offer Burrows for any of these 3rd line centers.
Matthias or Nielsen or Eller.

I'd think Burrows would wave his NTC for Montreal though and there'd actually be mutual interest from both teams.
add picks/prospects to even it out. :thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

The Canucks are so offense starved as it is I'd rather not trade one of our leading goal scorers for a 3rd line centre.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Another thing to think about though is having someone who can actually play hockey skill wise on the 3rd/4th line, our greatest weakness is the lack of scoring goals after the Sedin line, so with that I'm hoping Santorelli can somehow be added on the 3rd or 4th line, good on faceoffs and shootouts to boot.

As for Guance and Lain I really hope one of them can play well enough to make the squad.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Benjo wrote:The Canucks are so offense starved as it is I'd rather not trade one of our leading goal scorers for a 3rd line centre.
It's a risk needed imo, gambling that Kassian playing full time with the twins - he should be able to become at least a 25 goal scorer.

Not to mention we are severely depleted down the middle and with the risk of injury looming around Kesler every game now, it's imperative we find a solid 3rd line center who can move up when RK inevitably gets injured again.

Plus if this 3rd line center we could acquire for Burr can put up decent points, I think its worth the risk for trading Burrows and his $4.5M cap hit.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I do not understand what Zach showed you folks last season that would have you play him with the Sedins. Yes they had a hot start, but after that, despite getting 1st shift after a PK, nothing. Zach finished the season as a 3rd line player. How has he miraculously earned first line duty?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

He hasn't.

I think most are just sick of watching a 1.5 line team, and are hoping the Sedins can carry Kassian and Burrows can do some heavy lifting elsewhere.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

I'm not sure if Kassian is ready for permanent top 6 duty but unless Gaunce or Horvat can play the 3rd line C role that includes lots of defensive responsibilities, it will fall on Kesler's line to be the shut-down crew again.

If that's the case, I would like to see a Higgins-Kesler-Burrows line.

But if Kassian can't hack it on line 1, you move Burrows back to the 1st line and go with: Higgins-Kesler-Hansen and drop Kassian to the 3rd with Booth and whoever the 3rd C is.

You could probably get away with a Schroeder or Santorelli as the 3rd line C if you play that line protected minutes and have big physical wingers such as Booth and Kasian flanking him.

Still, having Santorelli or Richardson as the 3rd line C is far from ideal.

Captain obvious here, but the 3rd line C and Kassian's ability to be a productive top 9 forward are the two biggest questions that need to be answered for us to be real contenders again.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

IMO it's Ryan Kesler's health but those two are the next biggest for me.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

dbr wrote:IMO it's Ryan Kesler's health but those two are the next biggest for me.
Yes of course.

I was assuming (blindly mind you) that Kes will be healthy. But even if he's rolling, we will have trouble going on a deep run if we don't have an effective third option.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Benjo wrote:The Canucks are so offense starved as it is I'd rather not trade one of our leading goal scorers for a 3rd line centre.
The reasoning is simply our depth at centre, it's killed us the past couple years.

Our secondary scoring has been a major issue and that stems from our lack of quality pivots. With Kesler injured or recovering the past couple years and Manny using his white cane it's been painful watching us struggle to win draws or assemble functional lines. Hell we had Burrows and even Raymond try their hand at centre last year.

It's far easier to move some of these centres we have to the wing than the other way around. If you look around the league teams are paying a premium for centres, they can make or break a line and if we have more depth there it can only help our secondary scoring woes.

Matthias would be ideal with his 2 year $1.75M per deal. It's cheap and fills a gap between our veteran centres and the prospects we have coming down the pipeline. It also allows us to perhaps start Gaunce or Horvat on the wing easing them into the league.

Then in 3 years we can possibly have Henrik, Kesler, Gaunce and Horvat vying for spots at centre ice.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Just like every year, we will be as successful as the Sedins and Kesler are. If the Sedins are healthy, PPG players and Kesler is a dominant two-way force, this team will be fine. If the Sedins regress significantly and Kesler cannot regain his 30-40 goal form, this team will struggle.

A few things to keep in mind going forward are that there is no way our power play cannot improve, Kesler (the straw who stirs the drink) will start the year healthy and Edler and Bieksa are capable of being much better than they were. Losing Schneider is a big hit, but Luongo will play his 65-70 games anyway and the team loses the distraction. Young guys like Kassian, Tanev, Schroeder, Corrado and Weise will continue to improve.

Others have written him off, but I would like to at least give Schroeder an honest to goodness shot at being the third line centre before we go out and spend assets to acquire somebody like Matthias. I would see how things shake out over the first 40 games or so and go from there.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

herb wrote:Just like every year, we will be as successful as the Sedins and Kesler are. If the Sedins are healthy, PPG players and Kesler is a dominant two-way force, this team will be fine. If the Sedins regress significantly and Kesler cannot regain his 30-40 goal form, this team will struggle.
The Sedins best years are behind them,the teams success will be predicated on Booths,Hansens and Kassians contributions, Kesler's health,and a rookie or 3 making the squad.
Sedin regression is here