Burke Sues for Defamation

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Burke Sues for Defamation

Post by Vpete »

The interesting part in all of this is that the rumour has so many incarnations. Who knows what is true and what isn't other than the people involved but in the end going after Aaron when there are a pile of douchebags all over the place tweeting nonsense and stupidity seems dumb. But it's not just Aaron it's anyone who discussed the rumour- hell we're all guilty to some degree.

I sat with a business associate in Toronto right at the dawn of the season. He said to me that...

right so what do I say here?

Anything?

So if I do know something that adds fuel to the fire do I dare say it? Or can I say it without implicating myself with Burke's suit?

The point I'm trying to make is that does this not protect discussion: 2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

and then for Brian and Aaron this: 11. Any person charged with an offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal; and

So if I'm Brian I say to Burke's lawyer to ask me that question again about cease and desist on tape with his ultimatum.

Lawyers do but should not necessarily present their position that way.

I think Burke wants to spend MLSE's money on something and this is the perfect part. He didn't care who he hit but he was pissed off enough that he wanted to hit some one.

In all seriousness Aaron- get a lawyer for an hour or two and make sure you find a way to hit back at a guy who may or may not be honest and pure with his intentions.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

Hockey Widow wrote:Oh no doubt that they will have people monitoring and doing whatever they need to to keep track of this. And rightly so. Isn't it wonderful to know that they read us and care about what we have to say? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And if I write "leaves suck" they can't touch me because it's not libel, it's fact.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

Brian CC wrote:Hey everyone,

First let me say I am sorry that Aaron has been implicated in this. From what I understand (only what I have read on the suit) Burke is simply looking to make a point here, and an apology will be enough to get you off the hook.

I was put in a difficult position. I was told to remove the content and provide the e-mail address of the poster or be named in the suit myself. I could have taken the stand of free speech etc., but as I said at the time, I have always prided myself on the fact this site didn't support personal attacks on players, coaches, or anyone for that matter. I felt that the post, no matter how ludicrous it sounded, did cross that line. I had no idea it was on the site until I read the letter.

Aaron is a great poster here, and I hope this all goes away without any harm to him in any way. I appreciate his attitude towards this and regret that he has to go through this.

Thanks to all of you for understanding my position, and I encourage your continued support of Aaron as he goes through this.

Brian
Both you and Aaron are in a tough position. Very little on this forum compares to the libel I've seen on other sites (and yes, it really is libel I've read elsewhere) so this has come out of left field. Burke has a right to defend himself but I wish he had done more to find the source of the rumours rather than casting the net so far. I don't believe it will have a significant effect on cyber etiquette. Only a minority will consider the ramifications. With regard to this forum, he has recieved an apology from Aaron already - isn't that enough?

And if you're reading this Brian B., and your lawyers too, you've made your point.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Umm, do you dorks realize there is a playoff game today and Schneider is injured and Kesler is injured and we're talking about it in the thread below this one and I think I'm gonna lose it lose it lose it...

*begins humming Chelsea Dagger under breath while stroking loaded revolver"
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Rumsfeld wrote:Umm, do you dorks realize there is a playoff game today and Schneider is injured and Kesler is injured and we're talking about it in the thread below this one and I think I'm gonna lose it lose it lose it...

*begins humming Chelsea Dagger under breath while stroking loaded revolver"
Ahhhhhhh......... go start a Game Day Thread BuckWhite :P
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:Interview with Burke's lawyer. Explains why BC.

http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/col ... story.html

He has two years in BC so he had to rush right? He has two years in Ontario so whats the rush to sue in BC. I buy that our courts are more liberal and favourable to plaintiffs. Its forum shopping.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/09/le ... se-anymore
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:

He has two years in BC so he had to rush right? He has two years in Ontario so whats the rush to sue in BC. I buy that our courts are more liberal and favourable to plaintiffs. Its forum shopping.

Thank you :)

That article points out Brian Burke's flaw as Toronto's GM and that same flaw appears to be at work here
his...
EGO
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:

Where does Brian Burke the hockey manager full of bluff, bluster and bull with a penchant for taking his debates to the media ("pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence" as a prime example) and and the private person begin? In general terms, I'll agree discussion of his marital happiness and and sex life in most cases would be off limits, however we all know stress in a person's personal life can affect a person's job performance. I'll state again that I think the rumours were over the top silly as to be unbelievable. Simmon's article hints at a barrage of rumours regarding Brian Burke's job security affecting his job performance.

End of the day, Brian Burke record as GM shows Vancouver allowed his contract to expire ("lame duck"), he quit on the Ducks and he was terminated by the Maple leaves.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Brian Burke the GM also has built some pretty good teams. He help rebuild an abysmal team in Vancouver, added the pieces he need to a strong Anaheim team to win a cup, and this year's carnation of the leaves are starting to show good signs. I was always a Burke supporter. I love what he did in Vancouver and regret that he could never find a goalie. But I knew once he left I would not be able to stand listening to him.

As a GM I think he has done a good job wherever he has been. Certainly not perfect and yes we can all look at deals and offer criticism. But overall I think he is a good GM. His personality is larger than life and for conservative ownership perhaps a little to big for their liking.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:Brian Burke the GM also has built some pretty good teams. He help rebuild an abysmal team in Vancouver, added the pieces he need to a strong Anaheim team to win a cup, and this year's carnation of the leaves are starting to show good signs. I was always a Burke supporter. I love what he did in Vancouver and regret that he could never find a goalie. But I knew once he left I would not be able to stand listening to him.

As a GM I think he has done a good job wherever he has been. Certainly not perfect and yes we can all look at deals and offer criticism. But overall I think he is a good GM. His personality is larger than life and for conservative ownership perhaps a little to big for their liking.
The guy is a [mod edit: yeah we get it. I don't want to lock this thread, but keep it civil in here or I'll have to]
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

we can thank Canadian politicians of all stripes(especially turdeau) for protecting our rights and freedoms with that wonderful abortion we call a constitution and charter of wrongs...
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:Oh no doubt that they will have people monitoring and doing whatever they need to to keep track of this. And rightly so. Isn't it wonderful to know that they read us and care about what we have to say? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ya gotta justify the billable hours somehow. :roll:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Ahhhhh jesus Brian, look what you've gone and done...

:lol:

I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Arachnid wrote:Ahhhhh jesus Brian, look what you've gone and done...

:lol:

OMG I needed that laugh. Starts out slow but if you stick with it its pretty funny.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LOL
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.