Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by herb »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I don't think it's necessarily pissing the bed to align your views with how this article is written.
Pshhh that's just what a bed pisser would say, bed pisser!

Benning is totes amazeballs!!1!! Go Jimbo Go!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 3 on 3 at Shawnigan tonight

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Cornuck wrote:Bite?

Yeah, looks like those 2 can drop em and take care of bizness, nice to see. :D

BingoTough wrote: Lol, new nickname in there for Bersnoozi courtesy of the announcer

McKenzie Stewart = "Big Mac Attack"
I like it. Thank u. :lol:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Uncle dans leg wrote: I don't think it's necessarily pissing the bed to align your views with how this article is written.
It's not, in fact most outside the Vancouver bubble would likely agree with it. But if the Canucks get an F, I'm not sure why Phoenix gets a B-. They get Antoine Vermette back? Nah.

But yeah, compared to the rest of the division, our summer has been terrible.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: I don't think it's necessarily pissing the bed to align your views with how this article is written.
It's not, in fact most outside the Vancouver bubble would likely agree with it. But if the Canucks get an F, I'm not sure why Phoenix gets a B-. They get Antoine Vermette back? Nah.

yes, that assessment reads very eastern press. I'm not saying the Canucks deserve a good grade, at all, but how was the Bieksa deal botched. One fairly legitimate story has it that SJ was balking on an extension, how is that the Canucks botching it, and the canucks got a 2nd rd pick in 16 which apparently is what SJS was offering, so explain the botching. On Kassian, one can criticize, but nonsensical? It's only nonsensical if one has been absent from the debate about Kassian ever reaching his potential that has been going on for 3 yrs and 3 coaches now...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I put us in the same category as SJS. A team with a stale core that needs to rebuild. We are doing it. SJS are still stuck in their endless spin and I doubt they "transition" as long as Wilson is there.

What this article fails to get at is the simple fact that both Calgary and Edmonton have been piss poor franchises while Vancouver has been elite for 10+ years, with varying degrees of success. Vancouver is in a rebuild, he gives Arizona high marks for signing useless vets while allowing their prospects to develop. What? Isn't that the position we are in? We are keeping some aging vets as place holders until the kids are ready. I give Benning an A+ this off season just for NOT going out and signing any aging UFAs.

Next season we will have at least 4 rookies in our line up. Markstrom, Clendenning, Corrado and Sven. Not sure if Kenins is still classified as a rookie. We could have a few more in Virtanen, Gaunce, Grenier. Horvat and Vey will be coming off their rookie seasons.

Benning signed Bartkowski and Weber to one year show me deals. I think he has done a great job clearing out vets, opening up roster spots and preparing for a cap cleansing in 2016. He has drafted well to boot. His trades have been critiqued every which way but sideways. Lost in all of that is that it takes two to trade. He got what he could end of story. MG didn't do any better. Nonis didn't do any better. people like to forget that Kesler, Garrison and Bieksa had NTC. Oh they will remember but pontificate it doesn't matter he still should have had gotten more.

He got what he could for Lack. I'm 100% positive he didn't turn down a second or first for Lack just to take a third and seventh. On Kassian, ya that one puzzles me a little, but not much. I shake my head at having to give up the fifth in that one but I trust if he could have gotten more he would have. I respect, whether I agree or not, that he identifies who he wants to move out then makes it happen, something MG could never do. Benning isn't afraid if he loses a trade. He has a pathway he is following.

It's only been like 14 months on the job.
The only HW the Canucks need
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Boston Canucker wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

yes, that assessment reads very eastern press. I'm not saying the Canucks deserve a good grade, at all, but how was the Bieksa deal botched. One fairly legitimate story has it that SJ was balking on an extension, how is that the Canucks botching it, and the canucks got a 2nd rd pick in 16 which apparently is what SJS was offering, so explain the botching. On Kassian, one can criticize, but nonsensical? It's only nonsensical if one has been absent from the debate about Kassian ever reaching his potential that has been going on for 3 yrs and 3 coaches now...
If the rumors re. Kassian's off-ice issues are true (or if it was assessed that his back was screwed) then perhaps not nonsensical, but, if not, I think the addition of the 5th could be strongly argued to be nonsensical given the return of a 31 year old 4th line lifer for a guy who hasn't yet reached his prime.

But I would agree, I don't see the Bieksa deal as at all a failure. I'm not necessarily happy with it, but given the circumstances I don't think it was a terrible return (and, as you say, apparently not too far off of what SJ was offering).

An F seems a little harsh and early but I think it's pretty obvious we are behind the curve at this point.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Remove the Kassian trade and I would agree.
To me that's where I started to scrutinize his moves for real.
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Canucks have re-signed Corrado and Clendening.

Clendenning gets a 2-way deal for $760,000 at the NHL level. Waiver eligible.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Canucks have re-signed Corrado and Clendening.

Makes sense, Corrado is waiver eligible as well along with Baertschi and Grenier. All have little to no leverage but have to on the big team or they will be lost for nothing. I'm guessing all will end up around the same amount, making the roster more or less set and about $1 million left in cap space. Could probably sign another guy for around $1.5 million Ifmwe wanted as it would mean one of the minimum guys wouldn't be on the team. Considering how bad the market has been and the number of players left there will be a player or two who fits the bill, just depends on whether or not Benning wants to take a young player's spot.

My guess is this is it and no more signings will be made.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Boston Canucker wrote: yes, that assessment reads very eastern press. I'm not saying the Canucks deserve a good grade, at all, but how was the Bieksa deal botched. One fairly legitimate story has it that SJ was balking on an extension, how is that the Canucks botching it, and the canucks got a 2nd rd pick in 16 which apparently is what SJS was offering, so explain the botching. On Kassian, one can criticize, but nonsensical? It's only nonsensical if one has been absent from the debate about Kassian ever reaching his potential that has been going on for 3 yrs and 3 coaches now...
Sorry BC, after taking some time to really digest the trade, and putting aside the fact that I really liked Kassian.....the Kassian trade is fairly nonsensical. Unless Zack was a cancer in the room, a brutal teammate, a party boy, or some other kind of problem child, then the Canucks giving up a 5th round pick on top of him to acquire a player has a fraction of the skill, is older and smaller, and has none of the untapped potential, just doesn't add up. But maybe some of those things were true. As of now The Canucks traded a potential top-six winger and a draft pick for a 4th line grinder.

From the outside looking in, and that outside includes anyone not on the team or part of the coaching/management group, that trade is damned confusing, and Jimbo's "leadership and good mentor" spin doesn't cover it, and these grades are simply based on an outsiders observations. The "F" is fair.

I don't totally fault Benning for not doing more. He can't do much more with the current cap situation and plethora of NTC's that hamper negotiations. People can point to diminished returns, but I suspect that if JB had his way he would have sold big at the deadline and done a more immediate rebuild. However, you can't fault him for following the owners directive regarding the playoffs, and judging by the report that he is not looking to extend Hamhuis or Vrbata at this time, if the Canucks are outside of the playoff picture come TDD, then count on seeing guys like Higgins, Vrbata, and Hamhuis, moved as rentals for better returns.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Diehard1 wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Canucks have re-signed Corrado and Clendening.

Makes sense, Corrado is waiver eligible as well along with Baertschi and Grenier. All have little to no leverage but have to on the big team or they will be lost for nothing. I'm guessing all will end up around the same amount, making the roster more or less set and about $1 million left in cap space. Could probably sign another guy for around $1.5 million Ifmwe wanted as it would mean one of the minimum guys wouldn't be on the team. Considering how bad the market has been and the number of players left there will be a player or two who fits the bill, just depends on whether or not Benning wants to take a young player's spot.

My guess is this is it and no more signings will be made.

I think you mean that they are no longer waiver eligible. They all would need to clear waivers.

So how long are the deals? What was Corrado's deal for?

Who is next, Sven? Isn't he the last?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote: yes, that assessment reads very eastern press. I'm not saying the Canucks deserve a good grade, at all, but how was the Bieksa deal botched. One fairly legitimate story has it that SJ was balking on an extension, how is that the Canucks botching it, and the canucks got a 2nd rd pick in 16 which apparently is what SJS was offering, so explain the botching. On Kassian, one can criticize, but nonsensical? It's only nonsensical if one has been absent from the debate about Kassian ever reaching his potential that has been going on for 3 yrs and 3 coaches now...
Sorry BC, after taking some time to really digest the trade, and putting aside the fact that I really liked Kassian.....the Kassian trade is fairly nonsensical. Unless Zack was a cancer in the room, a brutal teammate, a party boy, or some other kind of problem child, then the Canucks giving up a 5th round pick on top of him to acquire a player has a fraction of the skill, is older and smaller, and has none of the untapped potential, just doesn't add up. But maybe some of those things were true. As of now The Canucks traded a potential top-six winger and a draft pick for a 4th line grinder.

From the outside looking in, and that outside includes anyone not on the team or part of the coaching/management group, that trade is damned confusing, and Jimbo's "leadership and good mentor" spin doesn't cover it, and these grades are simply based on an outsiders observations. The "F" is fair.

I don't totally fault Benning for not doing more. He can't do much more with the current cap situation and plethora of NTC's that hamper negotiations. People can point to diminished returns, but I suspect that if JB had his way he would have sold big at the deadline and done a more immediate rebuild. However, you can't fault him for following the owners directive regarding the playoffs, and judging by the report that he is not looking to extend Hamhuis or Vrbata at this time, if the Canucks are outside of the playoff picture come TDD, then count on seeing guys like Higgins, Vrbata, and Hamhuis, moved as rentals for better returns.
I'm not sure why we keep talking about the owners directive to make the playoffs. My understanding is that when Trevor was hired he was clear he wanted approval to move in the direction he felt was necessary and that he has the green light. I think past management had clear directives that anything short of the playoffs was unacceptable but my understanding is that now, with the change in management, everyone is pretty much on the same page about this transition.

For sure everyone wants to make the playoffs every year but I don't think ownership has that as a mandated directive right now. They are more realistic than that. Benning is doing what Benning is doing because he feels it is the right direction and course of action. And again, to be clear, he still wants to make the playoffs, sure, but he wants more than anything to ice a team that competes, develop the kids the right way, whatever that means, and to surround the younger players with character guys to support them in their development.

I think we can let go of this notion that somehow Benning has his hands tied due to ownership pressure and that somehow he would do things drastically different if he had his way. This, for better or worse, is all Linden, all Benning, all the time. They own it.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The article is a piece of shit.

In comparing Vancouver to the deals other teams made suggests that Vancouver had the resources to match those deals. They did not.

Lack was traded for fair market value. Kassian had several issues, it cost a fifth to get rid of him. Listen to the Bergevin interview and he admits it and Zach admits he's been immature.

The author scanned local rags and their hacks and regurgitated.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Here's one that should get Blob on a rant again.

Tonight Benning said he had several trade calls on Miller but in the end he did not think Lack was a number one and did not see any other number ones available so he held onto Miller and traded Lack. In support Linden said all the GMs they talked to about Lack viewed him as a back up which is why they got the return they did, and it was the best deal they could get for Lack.

So........if I'm hearing this right, they could have traded Miller, to whom and for what I have no idea, but decided to keep Miller and trade Lack. Benning is insistent that the team has a tried and true number one at all costs. Added that Miller is here to mentor Markstrom for the next two years AND Demko after that. So........I guess we will be extending Miller, pumping Markstrom's tires and trading him in two years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
http://www.thescore.com/news/792372

Vancouver Canucks: F
Key Addition: -
Notable Subtraction: Eddie Lack, Kevin Bieksa

While the rest of the division bulks up, the Canucks remain stuck. They're not moving forward, nor disbanding - just eroding.

The Lack return, well, lacked. The Bieksa deal was botched. Zack Kassian's trade was nonsensical. And while Shawn Matthias and Richardson aren't necessarily major individual losses, they're part of a mass exodus that's seen the team lose much of its identity
I don't think it's necessarily pissing the bed to align your views with how this article is written.
It is absolutely pissing the bed!!! :twisted:

Maybe Justin Cuthbert doesn't have a clue that the Canucks are rebuilding, but you should.

(teams are supposed to take a step backwards during a rebuild)

Maybe Justin Cuthbert doesn't have a clue what's up with The Kassian, but you should.

Note here Cuthbert doesn't consider Kass to be a "notable" player (urinates about the trade though)

But when scoring the Habs, he calls Kass a "Key Addition" and Prust a "Notable Subtraction" here:

http://www.thescore.com/news/791016

(and if Prust is a "Notable Subtraction" for the Habs, isn't he a "Key Addition" for the Canucks?)

He says that is the only move the Habs made... and gives them a D for it! :lol:

Then there's his Leaves...
Toronto Maple leaves: B
Key Addition: Shawn Matthias, Kasperi Kapanen
Notable Subtraction: Phil Kessel

The Kessel trade left something to be desired in the minds of many, but they executed their plan - to proliferate picks and prospects, and frankly, to be nothing but a workmanlike unit next season - with strict devotion and undeniable effectiveness.
He seems to rate all the teams according to strictly talent-in/talent-out

... except when it comes to the Leaves of course. :scowl:

Kasperi Kapanen won't be playing in the NHL anytime soon (I say never)

... so he's saying Matthias will be a more effective player this season Kessel.

OR he gets it in regards to rebuilding

... except when it comes to the Canucks of course. :scowl:

Hey, if Matthias is a "Key Addition" for the Leaves

... wouldn't that make him a "Notable Subtraction" for the Canucks?

Whatever, an incredibly shoddy piece of journalism, most posts in this forum are more worthwhile reading.

In a rebuild you expect to win less games and you hope a rookie or two become "Key Additions".

What you don't do is... PISS THE BED. :evil:

LOL Cuthbert gives the Leaves a B based on nothing more than blind faith that their rebuild will work

... and gives the Canucks an F even though their rebuild is a year further along and is working.

He gives the Habs a D based solely on the Kassian/Prust trade

... and pisses all over the Canucks for that very same trade.

And you lap it all up.

It's trendy right now to severely doubt Benning, but when this rebuild is done you will praise.

I say, chin up, keep a stiff upper lip, and all that rot old bean.

Perhaps when said rebuild is done I won't dig up all these examples of you soiling yourself! :D

One never knows...
____
Try to focus on someday.