Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Tciso »

Any news on Horvat yet? I hope his shoulder is OK.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

BladesofSteel wrote:Hunter sent to Utica, O'Rielly on waivers.

Horvat, Jensen and Frankie remain.
Yeah Shinkaruk needs to refine his game for the NHL, at least be competent defensively and adjust to the faster pace, plus learn to find the open spots and create room for himself so he can use his super puck handling skills.

Once Shinkaruk does that he'll be a top scorer on the LW imo, plus we could really use him on shootouts!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Tciso wrote:Any news on Horvat yet? I hope his shoulder is OK.
So do I, maybe it's just a concussion. #nailed it #jokewillnevergetold
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tciso wrote:Any news on Horvat yet? I hope his shoulder is OK.
"Injury to shoulder of Bo Horvat isn't as bad as first thought. There were no breaks, likely just a contusion."

googles contusion...
a region of injured tissue or skin in which blood capillaries have been ruptured; a bruise.
ha.

:thumbs:

Interesting tidbit
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Bo Horvat would need to be out more than 1 week to get an #AHL conditioning stint approved. #Canucks
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

17 years ago today the Canucks were in Japan!

Gino! and Bure arrive at Narita Airport in Japan.

And some other nasty biz, that I shall forget. that lays' chips fella became captain or something.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

SKYO wrote:Interesting tidbit
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Bo Horvat would need to be out more than 1 week to get an #AHL conditioning stint approved. #Canucks
So this is all just a conspiracy to get Bo to the AHL after all...
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Aaronp18 wrote: After his surgery last year he needs to play against men in the A for now.

As rats alluded to, he'll be back! Let him get his feet wet in the pros down there.
Agreed. He just came off a serious injury and it usually takes guys like a full year to get their confidence/game back to anywhere close to where it was (ie: when we had Kes + MayRay). We have the luxury not to rush him, so letting him work/develop his game in Utica is nothing but positive. Also, for a small guy, it's always good to see them get a bit stronger b4 they play in the NHL. It'll be interesting to see if he can rack up some goals/points in the minors, I'm sure we'll be watching him closely.

Shinks scored a couple goals in the pre-season and looked pretty good overall, but I think those goals were kind of lucky, johnny on the spot, easy ones. Gotta give him credit for reading the plays and going to the scoring areas, but would like to see him pot some in by using his speed and suppisedly higher end skill lvl.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

herb wrote:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... ssignment/

Buffalo tried this and the NHL rejected it. Very strict protocols that the NHL looks for to approve conditioning for players in Horvat's situation. But, yes, it is a possibility if he has a legit injury and their intention is to keep him on the big club,that he gets a conditioning stint. Don't really know the value of that though.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
herb wrote:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... ssignment/

Buffalo tried this and the NHL rejected it. Very strict protocols that the NHL looks for to approve conditioning for players in Horvat's situation. But, yes, it is a possibility if he has a legit injury and their intention is to keep him on the big club,that he gets a conditioning stint. Don't really know the value of that though.
Canucks could luck out a bit with Horvat's legit injury, with some AHL time for a week or so could help some as it seems less vigorous in the A, not to mention he can get back to playing with confidence again [not worrying about his injury] when he gets back to the NHL.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I suppose it buys them time and gets him playing, I can see that, if they really do want to keep him for the year. I guess also if they want to give him at least nine games before deciding this gives him a chance to be in the best position to succeed.

I guess I just don't see the value if it is a delaying tactic. But if they want yo make sure he is physically ready for the NHL then ya, it could be a good move. If it turns out the injury is more worrisome the best thing is to send him back to jr and let him rehab rather than burn a year on his ELC.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I'm quite sure it's not a delaying tactic, if I was the GM I'd want our prized rookie protected and brought along properly at all costs, if it is truly a legit injury, which it seems to be, playing in the less hardcore AHL would be beneficial.

I wouldn't be worried about burning a year of a ELC if Bo Horvat is ready to be brought along with the club, to me it seems there's a fine line with high caliber prospects that if you leave them in juniors too long, it could delay their development a bit, as there is a shit load of bad practices down there as you can get away with a lot bullshit in junior that you can't in the NHL.

Top prospects grow their skills exponentially in the AHL/NHL, in juniors they are playing with a lot of players who will never make the NHL.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

As far as the entry level contract and AHL/CHL eligibility stuff goes....

If they keep Horvat up here does he have to be returned to junior at the 9 game mark, or is it the 9 games played for the player in question?

Also, if they keep him beyond the 9 game point, and a year of his ELC is burned, can he be returned to junior still, or would he then be AHL eligible this season?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:As far as the entry level contract and AHL/CHL eligibility stuff goes....

If they keep Horvat up here does he have to be returned to junior at the 9 game mark, or is it the 9 games played for the player in question?

Also, if they keep him beyond the 9 game point, and a year of his ELC is burned, can he be returned to junior still, or would he then be AHL eligible this season?

He can't be sent to Utica, other than the conditioning stint. If they send him back after nine games it burns a year on his ELC. But they could keep him and they wanted, loan him to Team Canada, for that experience.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hockey Widow wrote:
I don't see the point in trying to sneak BoHo into Utica for a few games. Seriously, if the Nucks don't think he's ready or if we really don't have room for him in the top 9, just send him back to juniors. I think he'll still benefit by playing out his last year in juniors, see if he can take his game to another lvl down there, become a leader with his junior club and compete in the world juniors and memorial cup, all of which will only make him better.

Next year, we'll probably lose Matthias and Richardson as they are set to become UFAs. That might be the time to work BoHo into the lineup. Right now, I think it's a bit of a log jam down the middle and I don't really see a spot for him at the moment.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

bersonoozi

unless you willing to pay site payemnts,....I suggest you chill.
Last edited by SKYO on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.