Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by ClamRussel »

"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If Markstrom continues to be lights out in the A, the have a problem, a good problem. They won't be able to cook the 26 year old down there forever if he keeps it up. Looks like he is starting to show why he was once considered the best young goalie prospect in the NHL. Maybe getting out of that lost cause organization was what he needed.

Something will have to give if he keeps up the good play. Shit, not too long ago I thought our goaltending was screwed after Luongo was let go. It now seems to be the opposite. The San Jose scenario is intriguing. What looks like another guaranteed playoff berth for the Sharks, are they confident in Niemi? He seems to be scapegoat for all their playoff failures recently, along with Thornton and Marleau. I know they have a solid back-up, but Miller maybe?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, either way a trade will have to eventually happen for one of these 3, me thinks.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

RoyalDude wrote:It will be interesting to see how this plays out, either way a trade will have to eventually happen for one of these 3, me thinks.
I'm not even sure which one you trade. The ideal scenario is Miller is the starter with Lack or Markstrom as the backup, but that's only a temporary situation to begin with. Regardless of the shutout streak in the AHL, you're not going to get a lot in return for Markstrom until he plays like that in the NHL. I almost think the best trade value is Lack, and his stats have been horrible thus far.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I doubt we get much of significance for either of them. I'd be happy if we can add a 2nd or 3rd round pick to the mix, or bring in a youngish player that actually pans out as an NHLer.

With Markstrom, you'd have to get him into the NHL to be sure about him and once he's there you've put yourself in a position where someone has to go - he won't get back through waivers if he looks like an NHL calibre goaltender.

If you don't bring him up, probably the best case scenario by a country mile is something like the STL/OTT deal for Ben Bishop.. a 2nd rounder.

As for Eddie Lack, I'm not sure what kind of value he'd carry at this point but I just don't really see him as the type of player/asset a team is going to swing big on.

All that said if we can turn one of them into a 1B type and get something of value for the other one that would be a great deal for an organization that is still pretty asset poor.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Corrado has been assigned to Utica, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Stanton is ready to play.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:Corrado has been assigned to Utica, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Stanton is ready to play.
Not tonight though, botch just said Stanton is a no go, but yeah he'll probably be back soon!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So if Burrows gets a suspension I guess Sestito will get his chance to show he belongs, and against Edmonton too. Or do they piss Tom off even more and recall Horvat a day early?

Stanton ready to return, on the back of Weber's best game as a Canuck. Do you let Stanton get one more day of rest for his wonky groin and stick with what you've got or get Stanton in for some action? Can Stanton be sent to Utica on a conditioning stint?
The only HW the Canucks need
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote:So if Burrows gets a suspension I guess Sestito will get his chance to show he belongs, and against Edmonton too. Or do they piss Tom off even more and recall Horvat a day early?

Stanton ready to return, on the back of Weber's best game as a Canuck. Do you let Stanton get one more day of rest for his wonky groin and stick with what you've got or get Stanton in for some action? Can Stanton be sent to Utica on a conditioning stint?
Burr doesn't deserve a suspension for that hit. Tom Sits. Sheriff Shanny isn't running his puppet dictatorship anymore :)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Tciso wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:So if Burrows gets a suspension I guess Sestito will get his chance to show he belongs, and against Edmonton too. Or do they piss Tom off even more and recall Horvat a day early?

Burr doesn't deserve a suspension for that hit. Tom Sits. Sheriff Shanny isn't running his puppet dictatorship anymore :)
I agree that Burr doesn't deserve a suspension for that hit but most likely he will get two to three games just being Burrows and playing for the Canucks... :evil:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Stanton playing vs Edmonton I bet, along with Sestito till Horvat comes back.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Three games for Burrows!

Shinkaruk or Jensen should be called up, IMO. Tom should be waived. No chance of rolling four lines with Sestito dressed.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

herb wrote:Three games for Burrows!

Shinkaruk or Jensen should be called up, IMO. Tom should be waived. No chance of rolling four lines with Sestito dressed.
I agree, but they probably use these 3 games to give Tom a chance to prove he can be more than a puncher. If he can't keep up, then he'll be toast. Still, I agree, I'd much rather they call someone up, Horvat would be my preference.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You don't replace Burrows with a slug who maxs 6 mins of ice time just to fight in a system that rolls 4 lines. I can't believe there are fans who feel sorry for a goon who makes 6 figures a year, or is it 7? Can't remember, either way they should call up Jensen
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote:You don't replace Burrows with a slug who maxs 6 mins of ice time just to fight in a system that rolls 4 lines. I can't believe there are fans who feel sorry for a goon who makes 6 figures a year, or is it 7? Can't remember, either way they should call up Jensen
You know it is a crazy day when you agree with RD but I agree.

I don't feel bad for the dude I prefer to have Horvat up and sit anyone who is not playing well.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:You don't replace Burrows with a slug who maxs 6 mins of ice time just to fight in a system that rolls 4 lines. I can't believe there are fans who feel sorry for a goon who makes 6 figures a year, or is it 7? Can't remember, either way they should call up Jensen
You know it is a crazy day when you agree with RD but I agree.

I don't feel bad for the dude I prefer to have Horvat up and sit anyone who is not playing well.
It's not crazy to agree with him when he's sober and saying things that make sense. ;)

It's just crazy to agree with him when he says insane shit like, Gillis is the best GM in the history of the franchise.

That shit was crazy..... :shock:

Remember when you said that RD? Man...... :roll: