Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Topper »

Benning encouraging the camp battle.

For what it's worth, could be Demko/Garteig in Utica
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Also of note his ELC is for one year due to his age.
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:This totally surprises me. Not that the Canucks signed him but he would come here with Demko in the fold. If I'm advising him I'm advising him to sign elsewhere to hopefull earn an easier road to playing in the NHL one day.

I think it's clear Cannata will not be re-signed now and Bachman will mentor Demko, unless Benning has the balls to let both of the kids fight over the Utica net next year.

Well done Benning.
Yeah, no, I'm not surprised and the sheer talent and scouting skill of GMJB...Ignowski Is A Genius™ :mrgreen:

More proven college pros please.....

There could be 2 more...just say'n 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

A little bit on Garteig:

Signed with the expectations to play in the ECHL. Of course he gets the opportunity to go to camp and compete.

Had offers from other teams to be able to play in the AHL next season as opposed to the ECHL.

Picked the Canucks because they utilize goalie coaches and that extends to the ECHL. Never got an opportunity to work with a goalie coach until he was 19. Had to get their on his own and knows the value of having a good coach and a chance to develop the pro game. Other teams didn't have either a strong goalie coach or the coach did not extend to work with goalies in the AHL. (Markstrom was victim to this keep in mind) Believes working with a good goalie coach is his best chance at transitioning to the pro game and learning what he needs to learn.

He will be 25 at the start of the season.

Biggest reason he signed with the Canucks? He never wants to face Boeser again! Guy has a sense of humour :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: He will be 25 at the start of the season.
24, but who's counting. :mrgreen:

(doesn't turn 25 til November)

Yeah, I hear 8 NHL teams offered him depth positions in their organizations.

He might have to start in the ECHL, but when Demko makes the bigs, Garteig could be The Man in Utica.

Great depth signing, and who knows maybe a few years down the road he's Thatcher's backup in the NHL.

Stranger things have happened.

Good job Mr Benning.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Now that I hear his reasoning for signing with the Canucks, especially in light of the fact he signed on to play in the ECHL, it makes so much sense. I remember how Markstrom was touted as the best goaltender not playing in the NHL. But he looked horrible in his chances in Florida and early here with the Canucks. Someone on this board, I can't remember who, discussed at length how horrible the Florida situation was primarily because they did not have a goalie coach who was working with prospects.

The Canuck's promise to always have a goalie coach available speaks volumes with respect to their commitment to development.

I respect Garteig's decision even more now. He gets it. Even if he is only 24 :devil:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Someone on this board, I can't remember who, discussed at length how horrible the Florida situation was primarily because they did not have a goalie coach who was working with prospects.
And that someone would be.... yours truly! :D
Hockey Widow wrote: The Canuck's promise to always have a goalie coach available speaks volumes with respect to their commitment to development.
Yup, your Vancouveer Canucks are a Goalie Factory...
Hockey Widow wrote: I respect Garteig's decision even more now. He gets it. Even if he is only 24 :devil:
You're welcome. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Someone on this board, I can't remember who, discussed at length how horrible the Florida situation was primarily because they did not have a goalie coach who was working with prospects.
And that someone would be.... yours truly! :D
Hockey Widow wrote: The Canuck's promise to always have a goalie coach available speaks volumes with respect to their commitment to development.
Yup, your Vancouveer Canucks are a Goalie Factory...
Hockey Widow wrote: I respect Garteig's decision even more now. He gets it. Even if he is only 24 :devil:
You're welcome. :mrgreen:
All of which makes me wonder why (if the rumors are true) Rollie is/has moved on?

It seems like he was doing a great job since pretty much every canuck goalie to work with him has improved.

Do goalie coaches grow on trees ?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Maybe he is staying on to help in Kalamazoo and Utica??? Maybe he'll just switch roles with Potvin.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

It doesn't seem like miller enjoyed his help much though perhaps there is something not right there?

If that's the case, I'd rather keep the coach.

Warning... The above statement is just an opinion and in no way reflects the views on Benning of the managers of this post.

We at Ukcanuck.com are completely on board with Hmcs Benning
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Well, Miller is a veteran and has put in the work for years to refine his style and has had success with it, so I would understand if he didn't want to alter it too much. It sounded like he kept an open mind even if he refused to implement everything Rollie advised.

Wasn't Lu also the same way... at least initially? I seem to recall he continued with his own coach when Ian Clark or Rollie came aboard.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hank wrote:Well, Miller is a veteran and has put in the work for years to refine his style and has had success with it, so I would understand if he didn't want to alter it too much. It sounded like he kept an open mind even if he refused to implement everything Rollie advised.

Wasn't Lu also the same way... at least initially? I seem to recall he continued with his own coach when Ian Clark or Rollie came aboard.
That is also my recollection

But I don't mean to say miller is wrong for not becoming an acolyte just spitballing the reasons for Rolly moving on
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rollie is going back East to take care of his mother.

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/n ... alie-coach

He says being a goalie coach is a full time duty, he won't do it part-time.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bennings Geniusness at rebuilding the shit show handed to him by Gillis is nothing short of amazing.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

ukcanuck wrote:
Hank wrote:Well, Miller is a veteran and has put in the work for years to refine his style and has had success with it, so I would understand if he didn't want to alter it too much. It sounded like he kept an open mind even if he refused to implement everything Rollie advised.

That is also my recollection

But I don't mean to say miller is wrong for not becoming an acolyte just spitballing the reasons for Rolly moving on
Yeah, sometimes life happens.

I hope Clouts can teach the new kids how to stop beach balls.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!