Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Tciso »

Rayxor wrote:
What would have been your reaction in October if you knew that late February rosters included names like Kenins, Biega, and Clendening?
We do need to get Tanev and Edler back soon though. We are over-achieving, and allowing way too many shots. But, I like what I see from the young guys. Our forwards haven't missed a beat.
Oh, and keep rocking it, Kassian!!
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mondi wrote:Gut your way into the playoffs only to earn a date with the previously slacking Stanley Cup champs...bunk.
LOL no shit. That would be Canuck luck at its finest. Reminds me of when we drew 8th seed, defending Stanley Cup Champion Chicaaago in the first round back in 2011.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Not much different than when we got the Kings in 2012.. they were possession monsters all year long, and the deadline addition of Carter made them a vastly better team than what their 82 game record (and playoff seed) would leave one to believe.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

One theory I have typically subscribed to is that it is beneficial to square off against a tough opponent in the first round.

If you can beat the Kings there's no reason why you can't beat anyone.

The wear and tear factor did become an issue in 2011 but in reality that series should have been over in 5 with VCR winning it...if only Hamhius and Rome were in the line up...
If you need air...call it in
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Hearing the #Canucks have started talks with Derek Dorsett about a new contract. Dorsett is a UFA this summer if not re-signed.
Great news, Dorsett is one of the UFAs that the Canucks should bring back for the next season. Hopefully, GMJB can also bring back Matthias if the price is right.
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Shawn Mathias is a UFA. His agent Rich Evans : "It's premature to discuss Sean's contract situation." #Canucks
Who the heck is Sean?

The Canucks are trying to sign another goalie? :eh:
Fresh off winning the Beanpot tournament on Monday, Boston University goaltender Matt O'Connor has become a prime target for several NHL teams.

Sources tell TSN that as of Monday, 14 NHL clubs have expressed interest in signing the 23-year-old college free agent and as many as five teams are promising NHL playing time this season if O'Connor chooses to sign at the end of his college season.

Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton, Vancouver and Calgary are all believed to be keenly interested in signing the undrafted 6'5" goalie, while Buffalo and Phoenix are also considered to be contenders on the list of 14 as well.

O'Connor has met individually with a number of teams and will continue to do so before making a final decision.

O'Connor is scheduled to graduate this summer with a business degree.
Last edited by Jovocop on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mondi wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:One theory I have typically subscribed to is that it is beneficial to square off against a tough opponent in the first round.

If you can beat the Kings there's no reason why you can't beat anyone.

The wear and tear factor did become an issue in 2011 but in reality that series should have been over in 5 with VCR winning it...if only Hamhius and Rome were in the line up...
All good points, but I just can't see this team knocking off LA. Not without a miracle-type performance.
Like +50% shooting percentage?
:wink:
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I'm sure Linden Vey will be a huge part of any Vancouver playoff wins. Fucking stud player right there.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I'm sure Linden Vey will be a huge part of any Vancouver playoff wins. Fucking stud player right there.
All he needs is Higgins taking faceoffs for him.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

"News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Shawn Mathias is a UFA. His agent Rich Evans : "It's premature to discuss Sean's contract situation." #Canucks"

An attitude like that could get you traded at the TDD. Perhaps his agent is waiting for him the get 20 goals, 40 points, or something close. That'll get you a seven year contract in Toronto!

If Matthias does not want to commit, as much as I like what he brings, he could be a good asset to move come Monday. I wouldn't feel that way if I felt we were a legitimate cup contender, then you keep all guns. But get something for the asset before he walks.

Good news if Dorsett re-ups.

Sounds like Benning is trying to get his house in order before Monday.
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Rayxor wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Rayxor wrote:
Mëds wrote:Back in October I would never have suspected that this team would lead the league in road wins at the end of February......but nonetheless, here we are.
Back then there were plenty who didnt see them as a playoff team.
They still aren't a playoff team. They area younger team though...their average age at the beginning of the season was over 30.
If the playoffs started today, they would be in. I think most people expected them to be where Dallas and Colorado are; on the outside with a hope of squeaking in, and even that would have been contingent upon having a healthier roster than what we have now.

I agree that it's a good sign we can get younger without suffering a setback.

What would have been your reaction in October if you knew that late February rosters included names like Kenins, Biega, and Clendening?
I've been pretty clear on my reaction before the season. I wanted a youth movement (some leotards call it tanking) so I am ecstatic that we have these rookies in the line-up. You can tell it is a different positive energy on the team. Baggage like Burrows had their shot, time to move on...hope we dump Miller in Cali too on Monday :)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

(j) A Player may be Loaned to a club of any league affiliated with the League at any time up to 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the final day of the Regular Season (the "Trade Deadline"). Following this period, no Player may be Loaned, except that:
(i) a Player who has been Recalled during such restricted period under Article 13.12(l), 13.12(m), or 13.12(n) may be Loaned back to the member club of the affiliated league from which they were Recalled;
(ii) a Player who is on the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception, or who has been unfit for 24 calendar days and ten (10) NHL Regular Season games, may be Loaned on a Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan (with the Player's consent) pursuant to Section 13.9 above for a period not to exceed the longer of six (6) days and three (3) games (which Loan is not subject to any extension), provided, however, if the Player is not on the Bona-Fide Long Term Injury/Illness Exception, he cannot be Loaned while he is on Injured Reserve; and
(iii) a Player may be Loaned (with the Player's consent) provided such Player (a) was on Recall and was determined to be disabled as of the Trade Deadline, (b) is determined to be fit to play prior to such Loan, and (c) was on the Active Roster for less than twenty-five percent (25%) of the period from the beginning of the Regular Season up to and including the date on which he was determined to be disabled.
(k) A Player who has been Loaned to a club of any league affiliated with the NHL may be Recalled at any time subject to the provisions of Articles 13.12(l), 13.12(m) and 13.12(n).
(l) During the period following 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the final day of the Regular Season, and continuing through and including the last day of the Regular Season, no Player may be Recalled from Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the NHL, except that:
(i) A Club may exercise four (4) regular Recalls from a club or clubs of any league affiliated with the NHL, of Player(s) listed on its own Reserve List.
(ii) Players may be Recalled under Article 13.12(m).

Article 13.12(m) is injury recalls.

I post this here because we have quit a few players on recall. My reading of this suggests that players cannot be sent back after the trade deadline, with exceptions of players on emergency recall, with conditions. After the TDD, we can only use four recalls. An emergency exists if we have less than:
2 goalies
6 defenceman
12 forwards
There are also restrictions on who we can use for the playoffs.

Too confusing for me to figure it all out but it may see us sending a player like Kenins back before the TDD and waiving a player like McMillon before then too. We have to have roster room to activate all our injured players.

For sure they should waive McMillon. Probably one on D too, before Monday. After Monday we only get four recalls and emergency recalls, for the remainder of the year so we won't see a lot of yo yo action.

Interesting this CBA.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:"News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Shawn Mathias is a UFA. His agent Rich Evans : "It's premature to discuss Sean's contract situation." #Canucks"

An attitude like that could get you traded at the TDD. Perhaps his agent is waiting for him the get 20 goals, 40 points, or something close. That'll get you a seven year contract in Toronto!

If Matthias does not want to commit, as much as I like what he brings, he could be a good asset to move come Monday. I wouldn't feel that way if I felt we were a legitimate cup contender, then you keep all guns. But get something for the asset before he walks.

Good news if Dorsett re-ups.

Sounds like Benning is trying to get his house in order before Monday.
Best JB could get for Matthias is a 2nd round pick this draft at tdl, hope he re-signs though - seems he found his stride with this team.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Gotta love this Virtanen kid. Hauf is 6'5, 223 lbs..

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

haha posted same time as jovo :scowl:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Willie D looked befuddled as to what to say with the performances that Lack and Kass gave him in the boston game.

Willie's probably feeling a bit sheepish for parking Kass on the bench when he had this beast sitting there all along. He almost forced this player out of town and would of become the next Tom Watt (guy who traded Neely) in Canuck's history. Unleash our new Beast! Unleash the Kassassian! :lol: