Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Oh yeah, the Nucks have some very nice prospects/young players but need a lot more for the rebuild to be over. None of our kids in the system are elite star types so we will have to win with depth so we definitely need a lot more but there definitely is a good base of young talent
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Totally true dangler. The system is devoid of really any defensive prospects and high end talent up front . If all goes well you may get three or four top six guys out of Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Boeser , Shinkaruk and perhaps Gaunce . Out of those guys maybe Boeser will be a top line guy . Two more more top 3 -5 picks would do wonders for the club moving forward . I just hope Ignitowski sells the expiring contracts and stops trading 2nd round picks for other teams trash .
Agreed Blob. Benning has got to stop giving up picks. The problem this season is that with our division being so bad, as bad as we are, we could still be in a playoff hunt come TDD. I'd be happy trading Vrbata for a second but Benning might think he is worth more to the team's playoff drive than a second is for the future.

Although I do like Baertschi still for a second. He plays fairly well in the D zone and can forecheck. If he can get his O game back I still think he could be top six. He has a great release and on occasion goes to the net hard. He is still a rookie so give him time.
The only HW the Canucks need
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Strangelove wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:
Cornuck wrote:Benning and Linden see us 3 points from 2nd place in our division. ;)
I actually don't think they do.
What does this mean?
the toucan kid wrote:
Per wrote:Sure, it's shitty to bring something up years later.
Why? Burrows is in the wrong. And you say years as though it was 25 years ago or something.
It was originally said 10 years ago by Burrows (in the minors).

And then repeated 8 years ago.

If we brought up every chirp that crossed the line over the past decade we'd run out of bandwidth.

O’Sullivan whined, Burrows apologized, what more do you want? :hmmm:
It means that the powers that be know that this organization is paper thin on talent and needs a systemic rebuild right now rather than another pretender playoff run.

It was was said and repeated in an era where that was unacceptable. O'Sullivan didn't whine. Burrows did apologize and that's the right thing to do. In addition to that he should be suspended.

No one is saying that every on-ice chirp should be out of bounds, but there are limits and to me this is an absurd thing to try to justify. O'Sullivan himself said that Burrows was the only one who went that far. He's in a class of his own and it's an embarrassment to our club.
Agreed Blob. Benning has got to stop giving up picks.
There is nothing wrong with trading picks for prospects when you prefer the player in question to what's available in the draft pool. That just makes sense. Maybe Benning has made some bad bets, but then the hypothetical draftee might have busted just as hard.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don't mind the 2nd for Baertschi type trades. It's the 2nds for rentals that I don't want to see. I'd rather he trade our soon to be UFAs for seconds, or thirds, or a first if he can get it for Hamhuis.

Are you really saying Burrows should be suspended now for what he said years ago!
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Hockey Widow wrote:
It's the 2nds for rentals that I don't want to see. I'd rather he trade our soon to be UFAs for seconds, or thirds, or a first if he can get it for Hamhuis.

Are you really saying Burrows should be suspended now for what he said years ago!
Yeah, especially if he's not denying it. Inexcusable. Team should fine him frankly. It wasn't okay then so I'm not sure why he should just get away with his behavior because some time has passed.

If they're making moves for rentals at this point they should really be shitcanned.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

the toucan kid wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
the toucan kid wrote: And you say years as though it was 25 years ago or something.
It was originally said 10 years ago by Burrows (in the minors).

And then repeated 8 years ago.

If we brought up every chirp that crossed the line over the past decade we'd run out of bandwidth.

O’Sullivan whined, Burrows apologized, what more do you want? :hmmm:
It was was said and repeated in an era where that was unacceptable.
And your point is... what?

That if Burrows said it "25 years ago" it would have been okay

... but since he said it 8 years ago it's not okay? :crazy:
the toucan kid wrote: O'Sullivan didn't whine.
Wrong.
the toucan kid wrote: Burrows did apologize and that's the right thing to do. In addition to that he should be suspended.
Don't hold your breath waiting for the NHL to suspend a guy for a chirp made 8-10 years ago!
the toucan kid wrote: No one is saying that every on-ice chirp should be out of bounds
No one is saying that anyone is saying that every on-ice chirp should be out of bounds. :scowl:

What I did say is that in all likelihood...

there have been a shitload of chirps from the minors to the NHL that have crossed the line over the last decade.
the toucan kid wrote: , but there are limits and to me this is an absurd thing to try to justify.
Who exactly... in this conversation... is trying to justify it?
the toucan kid wrote: O'Sullivan himself said that Burrows was the only one who went that far.
Right, the very definition of "whining". :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

the toucan kid wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Are you really saying Burrows should be suspended now for what he said years ago!
Yeah, especially if he's not denying it. Inexcusable. Team should fine him frankly. It wasn't okay then so I'm not sure why he should just get away with his behavior because some time has passed.
WOW :shock:

Earth to Toucan... EARTH TO TOUCAN!!!

I'm not sure what your daddy did you you growing up but I feel bad for you bro. :(
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Are you really saying Burrows should be suspended now for what he said years ago!

I'm not sure what your daddy did you you growing up but I feel bad for you bro. :(
Let's go back and suspend players for hits that were legal at one time but not now.

Go to YouTube and watch all the clips on chirping over the years. Good grief a lot worse has been said over the years and I venture still is. I really have no problem with what Burrows did, in context.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

And your point is... what?

That if Burrows said it "25 years ago" it would have been okay

... but since he said it 8 years ago it's not okay? :crazy:
25 years ago... or maybe 35 years ago it would be worth arguing whether it was a different context. I can't say that here.

Look I remember seeing a leaves game in the 90s (less than 25 years ago) and sitting front row at the Gardens. Tie Domi told Jeff Brown that he was going to skull**** his wife into a coma. That's pathetic and kids heard it. It may also have been the norm, I don't know, but it is completely ridiculous to me that anyone would stand up for that and argue it's not worthy of league discipline.
No one is saying that anyone is saying that every on-ice chirp should be out of bounds. :scowl:

What I did say is that in all likelihood...

there have been a shitload of chirps from the minors to the NHL that have crossed the line over the last decade.
Both O'Sullivan and Tootoo said Burrows level of antagonism was not typical. This goes back to the era of Kesler and Burrows together when they were being called out around the league for taking it too far. Burrows is one of the scummiest yappers in the history of the game and if he is indeed making specific remarks about child abuse, substance abuse and sexually assaulting player's wives (this was alleged in the playoffs years back) then he should be suspended posthaste.
Right, the very definition of "whining". :hmmm:
What dictionary are you using pal?
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:

Let's go back and suspend players for hits that were legal at one time but not now.

Go to YouTube and watch all the clips on chirping over the years. Good grief a lot worse has been said over the years and I venture still is. I really have no problem with what Burrows did, in context.
I'm amazed that the argument, as it always is in pathetic retrograde hockey culture, is that what has been should not be corrected henceforth.

One is a hockey play, part of the game, the other is not. Find me the rule in that dusty 1976 NHL rule book that says "players are permitted to mock one and other in order to gain a psychological advantage during the game, up to and including incidents of personal trauma, race, and attacks on spouses and offspring."
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

That's nothing. You should've heard the stuff Jeff Brown said to Kirk McLean's wife.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Rumsfeld wrote:That's nothing. You should've heard the stuff Jeff Brown said to Kirk McLean's wife.
Well played sir.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

the toucan kid wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Right, the very definition of "whining". :hmmm:
I'm using this one...
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/whine

whine ‎(plural whines)

2. a complaint or criticism
... and I'm applying it more to you than Mr O'Sullivan. :mex:

IMPO your insistence that a player be disciplined for a chirp that crossed the line 8 years ago is madness.

On the other hand, it's great to know that Alex is soooo good at driving folks completely insane. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Strangelove wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Right, the very definition of "whining". :hmmm:
I'm using this one...
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/whine

whine ‎(plural whines)

2. a complaint or criticism
... and I'm applying it more to you than Mr O'Sullivan. :mex:

IMPO your insistence that a player be disciplined for a chirp that crossed the line 8 years ago is madness.

On the other hand, it's great to know that Alex is soooo good at driving folks completely insane. :wink:
I opted for definition #1 on that page when I saw this rebuttal. Your personal opinion it is though.

Burrows clearly hasn't stopped doing it, Tootoo being a matter of months rather than years in the past, so I'm sure we will eventually have to confront this regardless.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Give your head a shake toucan.

Whether anything is acceptable or not, and whether it should be corrected and deemed unacceptable now, is irrelevant to what happened 1, 5, 10, or 50, years ago. You can't go back and right that wrong with late discipline just to set a precedent of change now. The only way to handle this is create a policy now and enforce it unconditionally next time it happens.

The same applies to life and societal laws. If some act or expression became illegal in 2010, you can't go back and punish people for committing the crime when it wasn't a crime.

As for whining and shit.....

O'Sullivan alleged that Burrows crossed the line and broke an unwritten rule or code of ethics.

There is also a code of ethics/unwritten rule between players that what happens on the ice stays on the ice.

Congratulations to both Tootoo and O'Sullivan. They just accused Burrows of crossing the line and breaking "the code".....by breaking "the code".

It is laughable that Tootoo even bothered, even more laughable is that people even batted an eye about it. Tootoo is perhaps one of the lowest players I've watched in the last 10 years. Late hits, cheap shots, never stopped running his mouth, a pure agitator. But Burrows said something that hurt his feelings so he cried to the league and press about it.

Different story with O'Sullivan, but we heard nothing about this until weeks after the press ran amok with Tootoo's allegations. Why did he wait 8 years?

Hey Doc, I guess a lot of us should be suspended from here for a week or so for shit we said back at the old site that is considered too far offside here?