Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:With Franson's Dana Murzyn like wheels and Trevor Linden like fisticuffs (Franson has had one fight in his entire NHL career) he'd be great replacement for Garrison as they both are very similar in skating and toughness
One red flag on Franson for me is the fact that Toronto (a terrible team defensively) parted ways with him for a good return, and now, even with all of their cap space going into July this year, they didn't try to bring him back even though he said he would be open to a return to Toronto.

If he's not good enough for the Laughs, then why should we take the flyer on him?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Fuck why not take a shot at Franson...the guys a right handed BC boy and I hate to break it to some of you but that D is probably one of the worst in the league.

What do we have to lose?
suggested calibre?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The times I've watched him play before being sent to the Laughs he's been comparable to Alex Edler in many ways...obviously in my opinion.

Can't say I watched him there though so how can his game have gone south so fast? Stands to reason that a good coach like Twitch McStache could turn him around.

If he's willing to play a year where he can fit in our salary structure while showing he's not a loser...what's there to lose? Sbisa in the top 4?
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote: If he's willing to play a year where he can fit in our salary structure while showing he's not a loser...what's there to lose? Sbisa in the top 4?
Well, when you put it that way..... :hmmm:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Uncle dans leg wrote:The times I've watched him play before being sent to the Laughs he's been comparable to Alex Edler in many ways...obviously in my opinion.

Can't say I watched him there though so how can his game have gone south so fast? Stands to reason that a good coach like Twitch McStache could turn him around.

If he's willing to play a year where he can fit in our salary structure while showing he's not a loser...what's there to lose? Sbisa in the top 4?
shoot udl, I said calibre
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Lol...7.62mm fmj...naturally. Nice and clean for mounting
If you need air...call it in
cfp
CC Veteran

Post by cfp »

https://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the ... ca-comets/

Undrafted GTer Clay Witt signs with Utica.

Awesome shot at our org by the writer.
Knowing Vancouver, the standout between Cannata, Witt, and Demko will get traded away for a piece they don’t need — but if the team does hope to see strong goaltending down the line, this is a trio of NCAA standouts that can certainly offer that.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Interesting article, if the Canucks can redo some of their recent drafts and trades. Hindsight is 20/20, just for fun.

http://www.thesportster.com/hockey/re-d ... r-canucks/

Boy, I still think of the 1990 draft here at BC Place, instead of Nedsky, Antoski and Slegr, we could have landed Jagr, (Tkachuk or Brodeur) and D.Weight. :(
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Interesting article, if the Canucks can redo some of their recent drafts and trades. Hindsight is 20/20, just for fun.

Boy, I still think of the 1990 draft here at BC Place, instead of Nedsky, Antoski and Slegr, we could have landed Jagr, (Tkachuk or Brodeur) and D.Weight. :(
Just shows how atrocious our scouting/drafting was in our entire canucks history until the sedins/rk/edler era, another reason why I'm glad Benning is here, he actually cares and looks forward to the draft!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Interesting article, if the Canucks can redo some of their recent drafts and trades. Hindsight is 20/20, just for fun.

I've heard that Jagr told many teams he wasn't making the jump to North America save for a few select teams. Anyone else hear this?
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Benjo wrote:
I've heard that Jagr told many teams he wasn't making the jump to North America save for a few select teams. Anyone else hear this?
I think back in those days because of the iron curtain, it was really hard for euro players to come to the NHL. I think teams thought it'd take like 10+ years for the guy to come over and that's if they were lucky. I know Burkie fought tooth and nail for us take Jagr, but Fat Quinn went with the safe pick and took Nedsky who found a way to defect and was playing in Seattle. Nedsky even said that Jagr was a better play than him. Ironically, Pittsburgh found a way to bring Jagr over like the following season. Too bad, If Burkie was our Daddy Canuck like 10 years earlier, Jagr would have been ours. :(
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Benjo wrote:
I think back in those days because of the iron curtain, it was really hard for euro players to come to the NHL. I think teams thought it'd take like 10+ years for the guy to come over and that's if they were lucky. I know Burkie fought tooth and nail for us take Jagr, but Fat Quinn went with the safe pick and took Nedsky who found a way to defect and was playing in Seattle. Nedsky even said that Jagr was a better play than him. Ironically, Pittsburgh found a way to bring Jagr over like the following season. Too bad, If Burkie was our Daddy Canuck like 10 years earlier, Jagr would have been ours. :(
All just a masturbatory exercise, really. Even if the Canucks drafted those guys, they wouldn't have been able to afford all of them once their ELC expired. Quinn nickle and dimed guys, no doubt in part because the Griffiths didn't have the pockets to have a payroll like the Rangers. I have no love for Buttman and his cronies, but the salary cap has helped the Canucks more than it's hindered them.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Lancer wrote: All just a masturbatory exercise, really. Even if the Canucks drafted those guys, they wouldn't have been able to afford all of them once their ELC expired. Quinn nickle and dimed guys, no doubt in part because the Griffiths didn't have the pockets to have a payroll like the Rangers. I have no love for Buttman and his cronies, but the salary cap has helped the Canucks more than it's hindered them.
Well, that's what fans like to do, talk about what ifs and look back at what the team could have done differently, etc. *hehe* Speaking of which, so sad to see Arthur Griffiths associated with that botched attempt to bring Jon Bon Jovi for a concert @ Stanley Park. Poor guy can't catch a break. :(
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

NEWS 1130 Sports ‏@NEWS1130Sports 2h2 hours ago
The #Canucks sign RW Adam Cracknell to a 1yr, 2way deal for $575,000. He played 17-games for the Blue Jackets last year (Per: @renlavoietva)

Jeff Veillette (Jeffler)
August 25 2015 12:01PM

View image | gettyimages.com
The Vancouver Canucks have added a little bit of padding to their forward depth today, signing right winger Adam Cracknell to a one-year contact, as per TVA's Renaud Lavoie.

The deal pays Cracknell $575,000 if he remains in the National Hockey League. Making that permanent jump to the big show isn't something that Cracknell has had a ton of success with, however - he's played NHL games in each of the past five season but has never had a look longer than his 24 game stint in 2010/11 with St. Louis, where he scored a career high of seven points.

While Cracknell will no doubt get every chance to prove that he belongs in Canucks training camp next month, it's far more likely that he'll miss the final cut, clear waivers, and make his way to the Utica Comets. Though he's not exactly a "AAAA" offensive talent in the American Hockey League, this is probably where the organization sees the most use out of him. Cracknell had 20 points in 40 games with Springfield and Chicago last year, a steep fall from his 25 point in 28 game run that he had with the Wolves in 2013/14.

Due to his low cap hit, sending Cracknell down to the minors will not penalize the Canucks in any way. In fact, seeing as he signed a two-way contract, they'll pay fewer real dollars when he's down with Utica. More likely than not, he'll bounce back and forth between the two teams, filling in as a fourth line forward in the event of injuries or suspensions when the team doesn't feel like calling up a young player who needs more time or a more immediate waiver risk.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

TDA Rum wrote:NEWS 1130 Sports ‏@NEWS1130Sports 2h2 hours ago
The #Canucks sign RW Adam Cracknell to a 1yr, 2way deal for $575,000. He played 17-games for the Blue Jackets last year (Per: @renlavoietva)

Jeff Veillette (Jeffler)
August 25 2015 12:01PM

View image | gettyimages.com
The Vancouver Canucks have added a little bit of padding to their forward depth today, signing right winger Adam Cracknell to a one-year contact, as per TVA's Renaud Lavoie.

The deal pays Cracknell $575,000 if he remains in the National Hockey League. Making that permanent jump to the big show isn't something that Cracknell has had a ton of success with, however - he's played NHL games in each of the past five season but has never had a look longer than his 24 game stint in 2010/11 with St. Louis, where he scored a career high of seven points.

While Cracknell will no doubt get every chance to prove that he belongs in Canucks training camp next month, it's far more likely that he'll miss the final cut, clear waivers, and make his way to the Utica Comets. Though he's not exactly a "AAAA" offensive talent in the American Hockey League, this is probably where the organization sees the most use out of him. Cracknell had 20 points in 40 games with Springfield and Chicago last year, a steep fall from his 25 point in 28 game run that he had with the Wolves in 2013/14.

Due to his low cap hit, sending Cracknell down to the minors will not penalize the Canucks in any way. In fact, seeing as he signed a two-way contract, they'll pay fewer real dollars when he's down with Utica. More likely than not, he'll bounce back and forth between the two teams, filling in as a fourth line forward in the event of injuries or suspensions when the team doesn't feel like calling up a young player who needs more time or a more immediate waiver risk.
2 Minute Minor-
An easy guy to root for. He never skimped for effort in the call ups he got in St Louis, including showing up bigger than usual during the playoffs (for a 4th liner). His foot speed limits him from being a regular NHLer, but he'll be a good player for an AHL team as an example to young players, or a decent call-up for the 4th line. Its nice to see his career continues.
Canucks quietly getting a lot of hustle go-getters, hard workers, bring your lunchpail to the tar sands and get dirty types.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.