Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:08 am This Frankenstein collection of players is Elmer’s doing. Other than the team’s best goalie, current three best d men and second best forward. It’s his baby. There’s no more Gillis contracts. Time to get over Mike Gillis insulting you at the leg press machine my friend.
3 best defencemen - Edler (Nonis pick), Tanev the walking dead and the amazing keeper - Hutton lol.

2nd best forward (3rd best actually) - Horvat (gave up a major asset to acquire, the games best young goalie at the time, Nonis draft pick)

Teams best goalie - Markstrom acquired via Luongo (should’ve gotten way more but his sucky contract fucked that up, royally. Nonis traded for Luongo.

Benning has drafted 3 goalies in 5 drafts - Demko, DiPietro, Thiessen

Gillis drafted 1 in 6 drafts - Cannata
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Horvat is a better player than Boeser.

Either way you slice it the team’s current three best D came from a previous administration. That’s all I said.

After going on six years they still don’t have any depth in the organization and they still haven’t brought in any top 4 D.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:30 am Horvat is a better player than Boeser.

Either way you slice it the team’s current three best D came from a previous administration. That’s all I said.

After going on six years they still don’t have any depth in the organization and they still haven’t brought in any top 4 D.
Gillis drafted 2 defenceman in the first 3 rounds of 6 drafts - Sauve and Connauton (he later traded Connauton and a 2nd for rental - Roy)

In 5 drafts Benning has drafted 5 defenceman in the first 3 rounds.

Blob has stated too many times to care, he wants Benning to build through the draft. Benning 5 defenceman 5 drafts in the first 3 rounds, Gillis only two in 6 drafts
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:17 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:08 am This Frankenstein collection of players is Elmer’s doing. Other than the team’s best goalie, current three best d men and second best forward. It’s his baby. There’s no more Gillis contracts. Time to get over Mike Gillis insulting you at the leg press machine my friend.
3 best defencemen - Edler (Nonis pick), Tanev the walking dead and the amazing keeper - Hutton lol.

2nd best forward (3rd best actually) - Horvat (gave up a major asset to acquire, the games best young goalie at the time, Nonis draft pick)

Teams best goalie - Markstrom acquired via Luongo (should’ve gotten way more but his sucky contract fucked that up, royally. Nonis traded for Luongo.

Benning has drafted 3 goalies in 5 drafts - Demko, DiPietro, Thiessen

Gillis drafted 1 in 6 drafts - Cannata
Fyck i can see your eyes watering through what you typed there
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:30 am Horvat is a better player than Boeser.
More complete,(at this point), yes. Better? Extremely debatable.
Give a 500 thousand for simple inflation, then see who has the bigger contract. Fair?
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:03 am
More complete,(at this point), yes. Better? Extremely debatable.
Give a 500 thousand for simple inflation, then see who has the bigger contract. Fair?
At this point he’s a better player. I’m not sure if that will be the case in two years. Especially if the manager doesn’t get him anybody decent to play with
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I think the manager found that one guy to play with Boesser...
a centerman??

Petter-something or other??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:34 am I think the manager found that one guy to play with Boesser...
a centerman??

Talking about Bo
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

theman wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:56 pm Jacob Trouba traded to NYR for their 1st (20th OV) and D Neal Pionk.
Its not an unfair trade, but I am surprised they couldn't get more. At least that return is better than White and Rahimi -- which might have seemed reasonable in the summer of 2008 instead of 2009, by which time it was pretty clear to Canucks prospects watchers knew that neither player was developing optimally.....

(And Trouba is comparable to where Ehrhoff was -- increasing offensive success to go along with top 4 ability, an expensive contract coming up, and the selling team not sold the player would continue to improve).

With Pionk, at least the Jets get an NHL player, but the idea that having played top 4 minutes for the Rangers he is a top 4 defenseman is like saying that any of the Canucks should-be-5-7-but-playing-top-4 guys is actually a top 4 guy. This is likely a serious downgrade, recognizing that that Pionk could potentially establish himself as a quality second pairing guy and with second unit PP duties (I wouldn't put my money on it, but it is certainly plausible).

But of course you will have an immediate downgrade when you trade a player with 1 year left on his deal. The first round pick is meant to offset that. And it might -- but by the time you get to the 20th overall, you are equally likely to get bust, role player, or impact player.

If I am the Jets, I would have tried to move out forwards and signed up Trouba long term. Trouba is very good, in my view, and still has another level he can achieve. There's not a ton of defensemen like that. With Hellebuyck hot and cold, Myers gone, Buff just another year from free agency (at which time he will be 36), the Jets' back end was already moving from quality to questionable. Without Trouba and Myers, this team moves from Stanley Cup contender to playoff bubble. Josh Morrissey can't play 40 minutes a night.
Hono_rary Canadian
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:40 am
theman wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:56 pm Jacob Trouba traded to NYR for their 1st (20th OV) and D Neal Pionk.
Its not an unfair trade, but I am surprised they couldn't get more. At least that return is better than White and Rahimi -- which might have seemed reasonable in the summer of 2008 instead of 2009, by which time it was pretty clear to Canucks prospects watchers knew that neither player was developing optimally.....

(And Trouba is comparable to where Ehrhoff was -- increasing offensive success to go along with top 4 ability, an expensive contract coming up, and the selling team not sold the player would continue to improve).

With Pionk, at least the Jets get an NHL player, but the idea that having played top 4 minutes for the Rangers he is a top 4 defenseman is like saying that any of the Canucks should-be-5-7-but-playing-top-4 guys is actually a top 4 guy. This is likely a serious downgrade, recognizing that that Pionk could potentially establish himself as a quality second pairing guy and with second unit PP duties (I wouldn't put my money on it, but it is certainly plausible).

But of course you will have an immediate downgrade when you trade a player with 1 year left on his deal. The first round pick is meant to offset that. And it might -- but by the time you get to the 20th overall, you are equally likely to get bust, role player, or impact player.

If I am the Jets, I would have tried to move out forwards and signed up Trouba long term. Trouba is very good, in my view, and still has another level he can achieve. There's not a ton of defensemen like that. With Hellebuyck hot and cold, Myers gone, Buff just another year from free agency (at which time he will be 36), the Jets' back end was already moving from quality to questionable. Without Trouba and Myers, this team moves from Stanley Cup contender to playoff bubble. Josh Morrissey can't play 40 minutes a night.
Trouba was never gonna sign in Winnipeg, his dad has a record and can’t cross the border, he was always gonna play on the east coast. Supposedly Chevy turned down better offers from other teams to accommodate Trouba and agent.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:06 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:34 am I think the manager found that one guy to play with Boesser...
a centerman??

Talking about Bo
Just hazing ya :P
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Salary cap around $82 million or lower this year - good news for Jimbo if he uses it. There are a bunch of teams that have screwed themselves so make them pay through the nose to take on their money.

For a guy like Zaitsev, for example, if he doesn't come attached to a high pick or top prospect then move on. Same with Callahan, whoever the Jets want to move, etc. So many teams are hamstrung this year.

Wait it out Jimbo, don't do something stupid.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:46 am
UWSaint wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:40 am

Trouba was never gonna sign in Winnipeg, his dad has a record and can’t cross the border, he was always gonna play on the east coast. Supposedly Chevy turned down better offers from other teams to accommodate Trouba and agent.
Yeah that and his wife needing to attend an American med school.

The jets saved a lot of cap space in this trade, which is important around the league now.

(in light of what Diehard pointed out in the post above)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I heard his uncle is damonberry man
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:27 pm I heard his uncle is damonberry man
:shock:

New York can have him then!
____
Try to focus on someday.