Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:I still think if Lucic hits the market Benning will blow the wad for him, on a five year deal. If Lucic wants seven years we will get a better cap hit, marginally, but doubtful we get a modified NTC for his final years.

Something like 5 years at 7 and 2 years at 4 million for 7 years at 43 million for a 6.1 cap hit. With a modified NTC I may be ok with something like that but it scares me.
7 years would be good, so he can be the leader of the new core after the Sedins, Vrbata, Burrows, Miller all move on, while Horvat, McCann, Cassels, Boeser, Virtanen etc all take their place.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I still think if Lucic hits the market Benning will blow the wad for him, on a five year deal. If Lucic wants seven years we will get a better cap hit, marginally, but doubtful we get a modified NTC for his final years.

Something like 5 years at 7 and 2 years at 4 million for 7 years at 43 million for a 6.1 cap hit. With a modified NTC I may be ok with something like that but it scares me.
7 years would be good, so he can be the leader of the new core after the Sedins, Vrbata, Burrows, Miller all move on, while Horvat, McCann, Cassels, Boeser, Virtanen etc all take their place.
You want to sign Lucic until he's 35 years old for a $6-$7M cap hit? Yeah, cus guys that play that style are always good into their mid-30's. If the last few years are any indication, he could be declining already.

AND you think he'll be a leader and role model for the young guys? He'll be teaching Horvat how to threaten people in the post-series handshake, giving Virtanen tips on hitting the town and getting into fights with the locals, and maybe he can enlist his girlfriend to give Boeser's old lady tips on twitter flaming. Brilliant!!

But yeah, he's just the kind of "character" player full of "intangibles" that Benning will cream his pants for next summer.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:You want to sign Lucic until he's 35 years old for a $6-$7M cap hit?
Yup.
Island Nucklehead wrote: Yeah, cus guys that play that style are always good into their mid-30's.
If the last few years are any indication, he could be declining already.
So long as he doesn't have any major injuries, he should be fine till he's in his mid-30's.

Island Nucklehead wrote:AND you think he'll be a leader and role model for the young guys?
Yuppers, a team needs a wears his heart on his sleeve asshole, everyone complains of our lack of size/grit/strength/scoring/getting pushed over by the Kings/Ducks all the time, Looch can help with all that for the Canucks.

Island Nucklehead wrote: He'll be teaching Horvat how to threaten people in the post-series handshake,
lol like that'll happen every post-series, give your head a shake IN.
Island Nucklehead wrote: giving Virtanen tips on hitting the town and getting into fights with the locals
offseason trips to the town ain't no thang IN, plus I doubt eastvan looch would be heading downtown anymore if he were to sign here.
Island Nucklehead wrote: and maybe he can enlist his girlfriend to give Boeser's old lady tips on twitter flaming. Brilliant!!
I know right!
Island Nucklehead wrote:But yeah, he's just the kind of "character" player full of "intangibles" that Benning will cream his pants for next summer.
size/grit/strength/scoring/playoff performer - sounds great.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: giving Virtanen tips on hitting the town and getting into fights with the locals
offseason trips to the town ain't no thang IN
You ARE aware his barfight was in December, right? Last I checked that's nearly mid-season.

Or are you just insinuating that if/when we commit to Lucic we'll be so far out of things by December we can shut'er down til the Draft, Oilers style?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: So long as he doesn't have any major injuries, he should be fine till he's in his mid-30's.
lol, yeah. And guys that have to play big, mean, physical hockey to be effective aren't more susceptible to injuries as they age? C'mon.

Syko wrote: Yuppers, a team needs a wears his heart on his sleeve asshole, everyone complains of our lack of size/grit/strength/scoring/getting pushed over by the Kings/Ducks all the time, Looch can help with all that for the Canucks.
I think we've been drafting a few guys that can play that role eventually, without having to give retarded amounts of money to a complimentary player.
Only when he gets trolled, rattled, and his team loses. He's all class.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

If we're going to dump big money into the free agency pool, I'd target any one of Johnson, Seabrook, Byfuglien, Coburn, Yandle that don't get re-upped. Someone that can help with our pathetic defence.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:AND you think he'll be a leader and role model for the young guys?
Yuppers, a team needs a wears his heart on his sleeve asshole, everyone complains of our lack of size/grit/strength/scoring/getting pushed over by the Kings/Ducks all the time, Looch can help with all that for the Canucks.
Such a fine line between assholes like Lucic and Cooke/Ruutu
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

For the record, I am and always have been a no vote on Milan.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
You ARE aware his barfight was in December, right? Last I checked that's nearly mid-season.

Or are you just insinuating that if/when we commit to Lucic we'll be so far out of things by December we can shut'er down til the Draft, Oilers style?
Yup you right, granted he said " no one will ever see me in downtown Vancouver ever again." so you don't have to worry about that again.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote: So long as Lucic doesn't have any major injuries, he should be fine till he's in his mid-30's.
lol, yeah. And guys that have to play big, mean, physical hockey to be effective aren't more susceptible to injuries as they age? C'mon.

I think we've been drafting a few guys that can play that role eventually, without having to give retarded amounts of money to a complimentary player.
Only when he gets trolled, rattled, and his team loses. He's all class.
Ya know ANY player can be susceptible to injuries hey? from the small pipsqueaks, big strong guys, the sami salos'.

Lucic remarkably has had a pretty healthy career thus far, playing over 70+ games for the majority of his NHL years, including the last two playing 80 and 81 games respectively, not too shabby!

And yeah he's got a temper, so fucking what, he steps up his game in the post season unlike most of the Canucks players vs the Flames in the playoffs.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:If we're going to dump big money into the free agency pool, I'd target any one of Johnson, Seabrook, Byfuglien, Coburn, Yandle that don't get re-upped. Someone that can help with our pathetic defence.

Now that I can agree with, Seabrook and/or Byfuglien would definitely solidify our defense.

I'd prefer Buff only because he can put up points which we need more of from our back end, imo he and Hamhuis would be a solid duo.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: Yup you right, granted he said " no one will ever see me in downtown Vancouver ever again." so you don't have to worry about that again.
Well he also said “I have no reason left to try and defend my city, and the people of my city.” Since we're taking everything he says at face value, that must mean Jake wouldn't be able to count on him for backup.

I just don't see how it makes any sense for a rebuilding/retooling/transitioning team to bring in a guy that will likely be (if he not already is) past his prime years, especially when there's other areas of our team (maybe the D?!?) that are in much worse shape now (especially if Hamhuis moves on), and for the next 4-5 years when you consider our thin defensive prospect pool.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote: Yup you right, granted he said " no one will ever see me in downtown Vancouver ever again." so you don't have to worry about that again.
Well he also said “I have no reason left to try and defend my city, and the people of my city.” Since we're taking everything he says at face value, that must mean Jake wouldn't be able to count on him for backup.
I just don't see how it makes any sense for a rebuilding/retooling/transitioning team to bring in a guy that will likely be (if he not already is) past his prime years, especially when there's other areas of our team (maybe the D?!?) that are in much worse shape now (especially if Hamhuis moves on), and for the next 4-5 years when you consider our thin defensive prospect pool.
LoL I was just being sassy IN...chill tf out.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is IN being his usual angry self?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:Is IN being his usual angry self?
Not at all, Dude. Just pointing out how ridiculous it would be to sign Lucic to a 7-year, big money deal as a mentor to our younger players and an foundational piece to (re)build around.