Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove »

Tciso wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:42 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:41 pm
It's great that it was front-loaded, which is the way wealthier teams should structure long-term contracts to older players.

On the very day Loui was signed I pointed that out.
How is that a benefit? yes, he is a bit cheaper to trade, as his salary is less.

But, his contract is almost buyout proof as well. At this moment, I would prefer the buyout if his salary was flat with no signing bonuses.
If Loui's contract was "flat with no signing bonuses", the team to which he is traded is on the hook for $12M in real dollars.

But because the contract is front-loaded, that team would only be on the hook for $5M in real dollars (post signing bonus).

YUGE

The attached sweetener required would be so much less...

If Loui's contract was "flat with no signing bonuses", the cap-hit for buying him out right now would be $2M per year X 4 years.

That simply would not work for your Vancouver Canucks...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:07 pm
Tciso wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:42 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:41 pm
It's great that it was front-loaded, which is the way wealthier teams should structure long-term contracts to older players.

On the very day Loui was signed I pointed that out.
How is that a benefit? yes, he is a bit cheaper to trade, as his salary is less.

But, his contract is almost buyout proof as well. At this moment, I would prefer the buyout if his salary was flat with no signing bonuses.
If Loui's contract was "flat with no signing bonuses", the team to which he is traded is on the hook for $12M in real dollars.

But because the contract is front-loaded, that team would only be on the hook for $5M in real dollars (post signing bonus).

YUGE

The attached sweetener required would be so much less...

If Loui's contract was "flat with no signing bonuses", the cap-hit for buying him out right now would be $2M per year X 4 years.

That simply would not work for your Vancouver Canucks...
A cheapskate owner like Melnyk would be telling Dorion to trade for him in a heart-beat. Maybe cost-conscious Pegula would be interested in his sock-puppet grabbing him.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chris Pronger quits or got chopped off due to money with the Panthers. He’s a bright guy, always struck me as someone who wanted to run a team. I think Viola is slashing and burning everything. Pronger will resurface as a GM. Ditto for Ron Hextall who is an advisor for the Kings. He did most of the heavy lifting for the Kings before he went to Philly. A good chunk of that team that is on the rise is due to Hexy. These guys are at the top of the line for GM candidates in the NHL.

Lindy Ruff is going to NJ. LMFAO give him the needle already.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Travis Hamonic first player to opt out on the return to play. Cited family reasons.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:30 pm Travis Hamonic first player to opt out on the return to play. Cited family reasons.
Calgary Flames@NHLFlames
#Flames general manager Brad Treliving has issued a statement on Travis Hamonic.
https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/12 ... 4222091264

Wonder how many more.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:56 pm Chris Pronger quits or got chopped off due to money with the Panthers. He’s a bright guy, always struck me as someone who wanted to run a team. I think Viola is slashing and burning everything. Pronger will resurface as a GM. Ditto for Ron Hextall who is an advisor for the Kings. He did most of the heavy lifting for the Kings before he went to Philly. A good chunk of that team that is on the rise is due to Hexy. These guys are at the top of the line for GM candidates in the NHL.

Lindy Ruff is going to NJ. LMFAO give him the needle already.
Gillis is a bright guy too, what exactly has Pronger proven at the Management level other than being a Senior Advisor to the Panthers since 2017? Prior to that he worked for the NHL for 3 years in the players safety division.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Brian Burke had no experience in management when he came to work for a few years with Pat Quinn. Within three years he was GM of the Whalers and drafted the best player in the 93 draft.

You probably hate Pronger for being a mean motherfucker when he played.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:32 am Brian Burke had no experience in management when he came to work for a few years with Pat Quinn. Within three years he was GM of the Whalers and drafted the best player in the 93 draft.

Burke was mentored under Pat Quinn for a few years prior to getting the Hartford gig
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:45 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:32 am Brian Burke had no experience in management when he came to work for a few years with Pat Quinn. Within three years he was GM of the Whalers and drafted the best player in the 93 draft.

Burke was mentored under Pat Quinn for a few years prior to getting the Hartford gig
Thanks for repeating what I just said. Pronger worked very closely with Cup winning GM Dale Tallon.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

2017–18 82 44 30 8 96 4th in Atlantic division. Did not qualify for playoffs

2018–19 82 36 32 14 86 5th in Atlantic Division Did not qualify for the playoffs

2019–20 69 35 26 8 78 4th in the Atlantic division TBD

Since being hired in 2017 the Panthers have not made the playoffs and have been in nosedive since the hiring of Senior Advisor - Pronger
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yes the team struggling is all because of him. Care to post Vancouver‘s record for the first three years Burke and Quinn were in Vancouver?

Lol you are triggered because you hate good, mean tough players. And he’s a Canadian as well so that’s another thing you hate. Imagine if he was from BC.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

To be honest, it's pretty difficult criticizing other team's management or individuals when the Canucks are being run by Benning and Weisbrod.

It's like when some Canucks fans troll or shit on the Bruins and Marchand. They have a Cup while the Canucks and their fans have first round Game 7s versus the Flames and Blackhawks and Game8s against the Bruins to celebrate. Nice history.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Curmudgeon wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:27 am To be honest, it's pretty difficult criticizing other team's management or individuals when the Canucks are being run by Benning and Weisbrod.
A few things to keep in mind with the Chef, Mr Curmudgeon.

He hates hard nosed, mean physical players, former and current. That mulitplies double and triple if they are Canadians from BC.

He generally thinks most if not all players and prospects on the other 29 teams suck.

He can’t stand Canada’s entry into the WJC regardless of what year it is and actively roots against them. He has told everyone for years that the US is developing better players than Canada. The results certainly haven’t bared this out.

All other managers in the league except Jim Benning are doing a shitty job according to the Chef.

He is a master of fabrication, a master builder of goalposts who’s very skilled at putting them up and taking them down and moving them all over the field.

He absolutely hates random players like Mackinnon, ROR, Ekblad, young Bowen Byram, among many others..
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:15 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:27 am To be honest, it's pretty difficult criticizing other team's management or individuals when the Canucks are being run by Benning and Weisbrod.

He hates hard nosed, mean physical players, former and current. That mulitplies double and triple if they are Canadians from BC.

He generally thinks most if not all players and prospects on the other 29 teams suck.

He can’t stand Canada’s entry into the WJC regardless of what year it is and actively roots against them. He has told everyone for years that the US is developing better players than Canada. The results certainly haven’t bared this out.

All other managers in the league except Jim Benning are doing a shitty job according to the Chef.

He is a master of fabrication, a master builder of goalposts who’s very skilled at putting them up and taking them down and moving them all over the field.

He absolutely hates random players like Mackinnon, ROR, Ekblad, young Bowen Byram, among many others..
Lol, didn't I see him on another board? Thanks for the heads-up.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Curmudgeon wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:55 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:15 pm

Lol, didn't I see him on another board? Thanks for the heads-up.
Doyle has been very angry since Gillis was fired. Doyle coined the term “the Urine Crew” in reference to anyone who ever criticized Gillis.

Ryan Clowe was Doyles Gordie Howe, loved him greatly. He is also a massive fan of a Jamie McGinn and wanted to litter our line up with Jamie McGinns

Doyle grew up on a regular diet of Frosted Malts and Hot Dogs bought at Willie Woozles in Coquitlam centre where he bullied handicap kids at Toys R Us. Doyle reached 5’-10” 247 lbs at the age of 13 just before highschool