Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Topper »

I never knew Fred was black. That reinforces my ideas on blm.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:44 am I never knew Fred was black. That reinforces my ideas on blm.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:52 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:53 pm Thornton in Toronto is perfect. Tavares, Thornton, and Spezza can take turns mentoring the kids on what it takes to not win the Stanley Cup. Was Carl Brewer busy? Oops he's dead.

They seriously think adding Thornton, Simmonds, Bogosian, and Brodie, and re-signing Spezza will put them over the top, eh?
lol at the Carl Brewer reference. Bwahahaha...good one Curmudgeon.

Dumbass probably thinks Pat Boutette can still help their penalty kill. :lol:
That was such a memorable era and year. The leaves had a real team but Imlach just completely blew it up that year trading by McDonald and Williams, Sittler ripping the "C" off his jersey, and the bringing in of Brewer was perfect. Up until then I hadn't even shredded a leaves fan, or any other team's fan, but I had a neighbour who was so obnoxious I just had to hammer him at every opportunity. It was such a pleasurable first experience I've continued on for over 40 years now.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Imlach bent Jake Milford over sending Williams the wrestler here. I forget what he got for Lanny The Walrus

Edit- the Walrus was traded with Joel Quenville for Pat Hickey and Wild Paiment in a shitty deal for Toronto. Ray Miron bent over Imlach and then Imlach throatpumped Milford.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Quenneville also went to the Rockies and they actually got good value. Wilf Paiement was a very good player and Hickey was good too but it ripped the heart out of the franchise and it didn't recover until the Burns/Gilmour/Clark era.

Milford did get hosed but Tiger has a couple good years and at least they went to the Finals once. I used to see Derlago around a few strip joints in Mississauga after he retired. lol
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:47 pm That was such a memorable era and year. The Leaves had a real team but Imlach just completely blew it up that year trading by McDonald and Williams, Sittler ripping the "C" off his jersey, and the bringing in of Brewer was perfect. Up until then I hadn't even shredded a Leaves fan, or any other team's fan, but I had a neighbour who was so obnoxious I just had to hammer him at every opportunity. It was such a pleasurable first experience I've continued on for over 40 years now.
Yeah Imlach and his bird-of-feather pal Harold Ballard teamed up to go to war with their own players!

Most notably Captain Sittler whom they considered a commie for his union activities.

They traded McDonald only because he was Sittler's best pal.

The team's spirit was broken and Leaf fans were heartbroken! :lol:

Good times, good times...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

And so much of their drama played out on HNIC and it was must watch tv. People don't get the longterm leaves hate but back then we hardly saw the Canucks on tv, here we have our own team and we actually saw the leaves more. I built up a real resentment from that.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeah, that and the way HNIC constantly coddled the Leaves!

"Canada's team" :scowl:
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

While watching the draft I noticed how old Gary Bettman looks, I just wikkied him and he is 68.

I would say within the next couple of years he will be retiring and i wonder who his successor will be? He has been in this role since 1993 and I cannot remember the NHL without him in control, it will be a weird NHL when he goes.

Also wonder how some teams, who seems to own him, will act, are they going to control who replaces him?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

2Fingers wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:59 am While watching the draft I noticed how old Gary Bettman looks, I just wikkied him and he is 68.

I would say within the next couple of years he will be retiring and i wonder who his successor will be? He has been in this role since 1993 and I cannot remember the NHL without him in control, it will be a weird NHL when he goes.

Also wonder how some teams, who seems to own him, will act, are they going to control who replaces him?
Its amazing how he's the last of the 90s Sports Commissioners still standing.

I noticed at the awarding of the Cup how surprisingly well-spoken he was when he isn't getting booed.

I'm not aware of anyone being groomed from within to take over - certainly Colin Campbell is too old, maybe Bill Daly at a spry 57?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

2Fingers wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:59 am While watching the draft I noticed how old Gary Bettman looks, I just wikkied him and he is 68.
Yeah, he wasn't looking good, shaky in an almost Michael J. Fox kinda way.

Sounded pretty good though, as ESQ said...
____
Try to focus on someday.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:01 am I noticed at the awarding of the Cup how surprisingly well-spoken [Bettman] was when he isn't getting booed.
I am always impressed by the fact Bettman speaks through the boos as if they don't exist. Its not easy to do that.

I also think its weird that he is so hated in a world where fans seemed to buy the owners' argument that a cap was needed (this poster sided with labor on those negotiations). Perhaps its just of ritualistic value to boo him. And that he has the look of a villian.

But love or hate the lockout, that's old news and the NHL and NHLPA seem to have a fairly productive relationship these days.
Hono_rary Canadian
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

UWSaint wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:46 pm
ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:01 am I noticed at the awarding of the Cup how surprisingly well-spoken [Bettman] was when he isn't getting booed.
I am always impressed by the fact Bettman speaks through the boos as if they don't exist. Its not easy to do that.

I also think its weird that he is so hated in a world where fans seemed to buy the owners' argument that a cap was needed (this poster sided with labor on those negotiations). Perhaps its just of ritualistic value to boo him. And that he has the look of a villian.

But love or hate the lockout, that's old news and the NHL and NHLPA seem to have a fairly productive relationship these days.
Yeah, Bettman pretty much saved the NHL, fans who boo him are out to lunch...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It’s funny, while I don’t mind the cap, I think I would have preferred a luxury tax system or a franchise player tag. The cap isn’t bad though and levels the playing field. I think Bettman has done a good job for the most part other than fucking Vancouver in the ass on the recapture penalty.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:05 pm

It’s funny, while I don’t mind the cap, I think I would have preferred a luxury tax system or a franchise player tag. The cap isn’t bad though and levels the playing field. I think Bettman has done a good job for the most part other than fucking Vancouver in the ass on the recapture penalty.
I think the booing for GB now is just a habit and he rolls with it, you can see him smiling when he talks. He is the devil we know and when he is replaced i am wondering what the new person feels compelled to do to show he/she is in charge.