Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Fehr is a better player than Sutter and Bonino could play wing with Sid or Geno. Good management by Rutherford . Hopefully Ignitowski trades Sutter at the deadline for a late first .
Blob, Benning said a new contract with Sutter is close and he expects to announce in the next 2-3 days.
Yup hopefully 5 years. :thumbs:
lol, why? I don't get your man-crush on Sutter. Is it the name? He's less physical than Richardson. He's Jannik Hansen playing centre for what's probably going to be $2M more per season.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Fehr is a better player than Sutter and Bonino could play wing with Sid or Geno. Good management by Rutherford . Hopefully Ignitowski trades Sutter at the deadline for a late first .
Blob, Benning said a new contract with Sutter is close and he expects to announce in the next 2-3 days.
Yup hopefully 5 years. :thumbs:
lol, why? I don't get your man-crush on Sutter. Is it the name? He's less physical than Richardson. He's Jannik Hansen playing centre for what's probably going to be $2M more per season.
IN you're sounding pretty CDC'ish lately, what gives man.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: IN you're sounding pretty CDC'ish lately, what gives man.
Just not seeing the hype around Sutter. He's not gritty. He's lanky, not big. He's a decent, 30 point, 3rd line C. Nothing to get excited about, nor something worth overpaying for.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Just not seeing the hype around Sutter. He's not gritty. He's lanky, not big. He's a decent, 30 point, 3rd line C. Nothing to get excited about, nor something worth overpaying for.
In short, even if IN likes a Benning trade he will hate it, just because.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
In short, even if IN likes a Benning trade he will hate it, just because.
I figure I've got at least 12-15 months before I reach the level you were at with Gillis' moves, dude.

And I dislike this deal less than I hate the Kassian trade or the Sbisa extension. I'm just not really sure we had to give up a better offensive player, take on salary, move down in the draft and throw in a prospect to acquire the guy.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote: I figure I've got at least 12-15 months before I reach the level you were at with Gillis' moves, dude.
A new GM one year in his tenure and you have more rage against Benning than Glenn Close had against Michael Douglas after a one night stand.

How about sitting back and seeing how it all plays out. Did you honestly expect the post-Sedin rebuild was going to be easy? Please tell me you didn't. Benning inherited a fucking mess from your Boi - Gillis, whereas Gillis inherited a complete opposite situation as to Benning, a young up and coming team centered around the Sedins hitting their prime.

My angst towards Gillis was warranted, as witnessed that night when Rogers arena chanted - FIRE GILLIS!

Im just glad we don't have a fence sitter like Gillis who was too afraid to make trades, COULDN'T make trades cause he overvalued his players as witnessed to all the NTC's and NMC's he handed out like it was going out of style.

Getterdun Benning, the dude knows what he wants, Gillis didn't. Boom!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Puhleaze dude. For a guy who referenced Mike Gillis first appearance as GM for literally his entire tenure and then some, who moaned about his comments about Nonis, it's pretty rich to see you talking about how people question Benning after a year.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote:Puhleaze dude. For a guy who referenced Mike Gillis first appearance as GM for literally his entire tenure and then some, who moaned about his comments about Nonis, it's pretty rich to see you talking about how people question Benning after a year.
So, I was the only one who complained about Gillis classlessness at his hiring? There was a reason he was universally hated around the league, not a smart move by Aqua-man to hire somebody whom everyone in the GM fraternity hated with passion.

Benning is a very respected scout amongst his peers, isn't that who you want to rebuild a team? Give the guy some rope, he will eventually prove his worth. All Gillis knew was how to fleece teams into getting the best contract for his clients. Hiring an agent to build a team? Very bad idea. Gillis inherited a dream situation, the core - The Sedins, Luongo, Bieksa, Edler, Burrows, Kesler etc were all stepping into the prime of their careers, on the verge of domination, SKYO could have done just as good a job as Gillis if he ran the show. We didn't find out how shitty of a GM Gillis was until he actually had to make a move to correct the team post - 2011. The result? A complete shit show.Yeah, I called it, he was a phoney from the get go. I guarantee you all these Benning bed pissers will be eating crow in a few years.

FIRE GILLIS! - Rogers Arena
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Flyers sign Sean Couturier to a 6-year extension. Cap hit of $4.3M.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Flyers sign Sean Couturier to a 6-year extension. Cap hit of $4.3M.
And now we know what 15 goals and 37 points costs. I'm glad we dumped Bonino on Pittsburgh.

Sutter will probably come in for around the same, probably a touch more as I doubt Benning gives him 6 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Flyers sign Sean Couturier to a 6-year extension. Cap hit of $4.3M.
And now we know what 15 goals and 37 points costs. I'm glad we dumped Bonino on Pittsburgh.

Sutter will probably come in for around the same, probably a touch more as I doubt Benning gives him 6 years.
The key to the price? NTC or no NTC. Like Sbisa I\d rather overpay as long as there are no very restrictive NTC clauses attached. Got our fill of that from the Gillis regime. No more

I'm assuming by the time we hit next years draft, some of Higgins, Vrbata, Burrows, Prust and maybe Hamhius will be off the books and replaced by some ELC's
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

OK dude. None of that has to do with what I said. Nevertheless you might want to note that former player agents have been in the GM spot for three of the last five Stanley Cup winning teams.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote:OK dude. None of that has to do with what I said. Nevertheless you might want to note that former player agents have been in the GM spot for three of the last five Stanley Cup winning teams.
I thought it had a lot to do with what you said. The GM fraternity was quite put off by Gillis tossing the past management under the bus at his press conference hiring. Goes to show you the kind of arrogance Mike Gillis possessed. He's never ever managed an NHL hockey team before and he slags the previous management that he was hired to replace in public at his hiring? How the hell does that sit with the rest of the GM fraternity? It doesn't. It was no secret the disdain, the other GM's held for Mike because of it, not to mention he was very despised by the GM fraternity when he was a players agent. I understand some Players Agents have graduated to the position quite nicely but when you hire one of the most hated arrogant Players Agents ya just know that that will eventually bite you in the ass as we all eventually saw. The majority of the GM's did not want to to deal with Mike, that was no secret. His Arrogance eventually got in the way of him properly managing the team, hence "I will not trade a player away for less than what I THINK he is worth" Well, we all saw how that turned out.

At least Gillis should have thanked Nonis for acquiring/drafting two very good goaltenders in Luongo and Schneider.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Flyers Sign Voracek to an 8-year, $66M extension.

$8.25M per.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Flyers Sign Voracek to an 8-year, $66M extension.

$8.25M per.
Wow. 11% of the cap on a player who had one great year, seems like a LOT of money to me.