Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by SKYO »

KeyserSoze wrote:
Diehard1 wrote: Chicago gets it - don't fall in love with their players, keep a couple of core guys and the rest are expendable.
True...and this is much easier to do when those couple of core guys are named Toews, Kane, and Keith.
Yup, all hall of famers down the road and like every cup team they got the Norris trophy type dman + Seabrook whose a beast.

Anyways I think the Canucks should be bold enough to trade expensive vets like the Hawks did with Ladd/Buff etc.

Ladd=Burrows, Buff=Bieksa.

Sign Vrbata for retirement contract for cheaper cap hit. (Hossa)
---

- For Ladd hawks received a 2nd (Clendening) + prospect (Ivan Vishnevskiy)

- Buff was part of a huge cap dump trade:
Chicago Blackhawks traded Dustin Byfuglien, Ben Eager, Brent Sopel and Akim Aliu to the Atlanta Thrashers for Marty Reasoner, Jeremy Morin, Joey Crabb, a 1st and a 2nd round selection in 2010.

- Troy Brouwer for a 1st rounder.

Hawks seem to always have a nice balance of trading expensive vets for picks and down the line for their Cup runs they trade picks for players, or they move up or down the draft with all the picks they get from vets.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It also helps that they trade these players after Winn g the cup. They all looked good in their cup runs and so their value is higher. Like if Lack could have won the Calgary series we might have gotten a 2nd for him :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Peter_Puck
CC Rookie

Post by Peter_Puck »

Full details:
Brandon Saad, Paliotta and Broadhurst for Anisimov, Dano, Morin, Troop and a 4th round pick in 2016.

Looks like this is the return I didn't see if someone else posted it higher up in the discussion.

And I agree, the Hawks don't fall in love with anyone outside the core 5 guys.

Good and necessary way to go.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

That's a whole pile of crappy players for Saad. Vancouver needs a break like this...
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote:That's a whole pile of crappy players for Saad. Vancouver needs a break like this...
Anisimov is pretty decent, a 6'4 center - solid checker,

Dano is a talented young scoring winger it appears, he should do well on the wing for the hawks.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote:gotta admit, again, I admire the way the Hawks do it. And Topper is right, we get way to attached and don't do the deals when we should.

On TSN yesterday,Aaron Ward was asked if he were rebuilding the Canucks what would he do. What he said was, I know it isn't popular but you take the guy with the most trade value, Edler, and you trade him for a hefty return. A coveted, big D man with good term and contract left. If we really want a rebuild we should not only be clearing out over the hill vets but getting something for players like Edler.

Problem is we are not rebuilding so we hang onto pieces of the core.
I have been saying this for years, trade any player when you can max the return.

I am sooooo way passed caring about the name on the back, just bring a freaking SC before I die in 50 years.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Reefer2 wrote:I am sooooo way passed caring about the name on the back, just bring a freaking SC before I die in 50 years.
You've got 50 years? :?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Jones signs in San Jose. 3 years, 3M per cap. Lot of coin for a guy with what, so ya like 34 NHL games under his belt. Wonder what Eddie will demand from Carolina next year. I guess Wilson has to justify trading a 1st plus a prospect for him.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rumours out of Calgary that Gio is asking for 9 million per on a new deal. He'll be 32-32 when his new contract begins. Can't see the Flames giving him that. Probably settle on 7.5 for 5 years. Flames just starting to see the cost of high end talent again. Guy is gonna cost a lot of coin to come back for 2016-2017.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:Rumours out of Calgary that Gio is asking for 9 million per on a new deal. He'll be 32-32 when his new contract begins. Can't see the Flames giving him that. Probably settle on 7.5 for 5 years. Flames just starting to see the cost of high end talent again. Guy is gonna cost a lot of coin to come back for 2016-2017.
Yeah, lucky for the Flames they have the cap space to make that deal happen. I'm guessing a 5-6 year front-loaded deal.
Hockey Widow wrote:Jones signs in San Jose. 3 years, 3M per cap. Lot of coin for a guy with what, so ya like 34 NHL games under his belt. Wonder what Eddie will demand from Carolina next year. I guess Wilson has to justify trading a 1st plus a prospect for him.
Who knows, Niemi just signed in Dallas for $4.5M per season (3-years). Seems like the going rate ($3-$4M) for a hot-cold starting goalie. We know how fucked the goalie trade market is, obviously the contract negotiations are similar.

EDIT: what happens with Lehtonen? Are the Stars really going to roll with $10.4M in goalies?
cfp
CC Veteran

Post by cfp »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Who knows, Niemi just signed in Dallas for $4.5M per season (3-years). Seems like the going rate ($3-$4M) for a hot-cold starting goalie. We know how fucked the goalie trade market is, obviously the contract negotiations are similar.

EDIT: what happens with Lehtonen? Are the Stars really going to roll with $10.4M in goalies?

I have read Nill wants to have a 1a 1b and ride the hot goalie.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Island Nucklehead wrote:A little more info on Richards.

RCMP and CBSA investigating.
I don't know what happened at the border, but I do know what TMZ is reporting.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/06/30/nhls-mike ... an-border/
Last edited by BurningBeard on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
cfp
CC Veteran

Post by cfp »

BurningBeard wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:A little more info on Richards.

RCMP and CBSA investigating.
I don't know what happened at the boarder, but I do know what TMZ is reporting.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/06/30/nhls-mike ... an-border/

Weird, I though only Oxycotin was illegal. Isnt Oxycodon a little stronger than T3's?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So maybe someone had/has an oxy addiction and last year said he had kicked it but getting caught with it breached his contract even if he didn't do anything illegal?

So maybe like a GM said to a player, hey we know you're on this stuff and we are going to use our compliance buy out if you don't look me in the eye and promise you will change and he said yes, I'll change. But still having the stuff was the slap in the face material breach? But I don't understand, if that's the case, why the league's substance abuse program wouldn't kick in resulting in a suspension but no contract breach.

I don't know what happened either but they also say it happened June 17, not the day before the draft.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

IN, 5-6 years takes him to what 38-39. Really think he gets that much for so long. Maybe why he wants 9 million. Or is he younger than that. I thought he was 32 now. I'll look it up, maybe I'm out to lunch on this.

Looked it up,he will be 32 in Oct this year. So a new deal will start around his 33rd birthday. 5-6 years is a long time for an injury prone D man who ain't gonna get a lot better but rather will be on the decline. I guess if the Flames feel they can win a cup by then he is a guy you want around.