Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by UWSaint »

Didn't see this posted earlier: Blackhawks trade Anisimov to Ottawa for Smith.

Why is this relevant? Anisimov gets Ottawa to the cap floor (counting McArthur and Gaborik). Like Eriksson, Anisimov's contract was front loaded; the cap hit is more than the cash bite. And with this move, I don't see any motivation for Ottawa to take on one of the Canucks' underperforming contracts (absent a sweetener).

Good move for Ottawa. Anisimov is the kind of two way player that can fill numerous roles -- even if none expertly. There's a value to that at the trade deadline (whether this year or next) when a contender is experiencing injuries or just needs a shot of depth. In the meantime, Ottawa uses him as an at-least-we-have-an-NHL-player.

I'm not entirely sure what this move does for Chicago, who are getting a worse player with a lower trade deadline value, except that every million counts for this season after this one. It is a weird team, in a very weird cap situation going forward. They famously have about $32 million locked into NMC contracts with Kane, Toews, Keith, and Seabrook for the next four years. Debrincat was awesome last year, following on a good rookie season. And Strome might have broken the Strome curse last season. Great news, right? Both are RFAs after this season and will be due pay raises -- Debrincat's could place himself in the Aho-zone, and certainly will if he duplicates 2018-19. And then there is Gustafsson, who came absolutely out of nowhere to put up 60 points from the blue line. He's a UFA after this season.

They have $11 million coming off the books in net -- but they are going to have to sign at least one keeper. I don't see Delia as an NHL starter, and I doubt they do.

One can do a rebuild in reverse: find the next core and then shed the old instead of shedding the old to gather assets to build the new. Debrincat and maybe Strome can be part of a new core. There are a number of defensive prospects that could develop into good NHL players (though dealing Jokiharju -- a 2017 first rounder hitting the development markers -- for Nylander -- a 2016 first rounder who is missing those markers -- is a real head scratcher). End of the day, Chicago's been nibbling with weird trades and not addressing the elephants.
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Elliotte Friedman

@FriedgeHNIC
Compher and COL, 4x$3.5M
9:46 AM - 17 Jul 2019
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Guess nobody likes retiring. :?
Philadelphia Flyers
‏ @NHLFlyers

The #Flyers have signed free agent forward Chris Stewart to an @NHL Pro Try-Out to attend our 2019 Training Camp.

8:35 AM - 17 Jul 2019
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

UWSaint wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:58 am Didn't see this posted earlier: Blackhawks trade Anisimov to Ottawa for Smith.

Why is this relevant? Anisimov gets Ottawa to the cap floor (counting McArthur and Gaborik). Like Eriksson, Anisimov's contract was front loaded; the cap hit is more than the cash bite. And with this move, I don't see any motivation for Ottawa to take on one of the Canucks' underperforming contracts (absent a sweetener).

Good move for Ottawa. Anisimov is the kind of two way player that can fill numerous roles -- even if none expertly. There's a value to that at the trade deadline (whether this year or next) when a contender is experiencing injuries or just needs a shot of depth. In the meantime, Ottawa uses him as an at-least-we-have-an-NHL-player.
But Ottawa is still so close to the floor, I don't think they could trade Anisimov - or anyone else - at the deadline and remain cap compliant. Even if they retain salary.

They do have White to re-sign still, which will put them at 12 forwards and probably a few mil above the floor, but talk about a skeleton crew.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

ESQ wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:07 pm
UWSaint wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:58 am Didn't see this posted earlier: Blackhawks trade Anisimov to Ottawa for Smith.

But Ottawa is still so close to the floor, I don't think they could trade Anisimov - or anyone else - at the deadline and remain cap compliant. Even if they retain salary.

They do have White to re-sign still, which will put them at 12 forwards and probably a few mil above the floor, but talk about a skeleton crew.
When we get to the deadline, most of the spending is done. Just as you can add salary at the deadline that would have put you over the cap if those players weren't part of your team all year, you can have a roster at the end of the year less than the cap floor so long as total expenditures get you to the cap floor.

Ottawa will be out of the woods if they carry 23. White will cost some money.

But you have a still have a good point insofar as they would be limited in what they could get rid of and there are several contracts expiring at the end of the season of players that might have some value at the trade deadline. Surely they are looking for value there. If they are thinking like that, I could see a value to Eriksson, but why Eriksson (at three years) instead of an overweight contract for just this season or for just the next two (when they will also be a cap floor team). By year 2021-22, this team will want to start building out.
Hono_rary Canadian
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

UWSaint wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:20 pm
When we get to the deadline, most of the spending is done. Just as you can add salary at the deadline that would have put you over the cap if those players weren't part of your team all year, you can have a roster at the end of the year less than the cap floor so long as total expenditures get you to the cap floor.

Ottawa will be out of the woods if they carry 23. White will cost some money.

But you have a still have a good point insofar as they would be limited in what they could get rid of and there are several contracts expiring at the end of the season of players that might have some value at the trade deadline. Surely they are looking for value there. If they are thinking like that, I could see a value to Eriksson, but why Eriksson (at three years) instead of an overweight contract for just this season or for just the next two (when they will also be a cap floor team). By year 2021-22, this team will want to start building out.
I'll admit I'm a little hazy on the details, but when you trade a player at the deadline there's roughly 1/4 of their salary remaining, which comes off Ottawa's cap.

Ottawa must be cap compliant every day of the regular season, so if their daily cap dips below the floor, they may be in trouble. I'm not sure how that works with ELC bonuses - they typically are a concern at the ceiling, and that's why there's the rule allowing them to be carried over to the following year. I don't know if you can apply bonuses early to the cap.

Whatever the actual application of the rule is, it seems to me they are leaving themselves exceptionally little wiggle room. If they take on Loui, that possibly frees them up to acquire more picks/assets at the deadline by moving out players. I'm not sure that's enough of a reason!

But there's also the fact that Loui is apparently still exercising his NTC (reportedly vetoed trade to Edmonton). If that's the case - and what JP Barry said on the radio made it clear that it is - there's virtually no chance he waives to go to Ottawa. More likely, he would mutually terminate and re-sign with the team of his choosing than slog it out in the Ottawa shitshow.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

This mutual termination seems a bit dodgy.

What player has done this before?

I’m sure Bettman will find a way to punish Vancouver
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Seattle makes a great hire in Ron Francis
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:48 pm This mutual termination seems a bit dodgy.

Yeah, I feel like if there was a way to mutually terminate a contract and simply re-sign with another team then Gillis and Luongo would have done just that, or Benning would have traded a 7th to Florida for Louie and a 6th and then done the same.

The only path to mutual termination is a player's retirement.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:49 pm Seattle makes a great hire in Ron Francis
Blob, why has your Boi - Gillis been passed over for jobs for 5 years straight now? Is he just too good for the league?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:07 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:48 pm This mutual termination seems a bit dodgy.

Yeah, I feel like if there was a way to mutually terminate a contract and simply re-sign with another team then Gillis and Luongo would have done just that, or Benning would have traded a 7th to Florida for Louie and a 6th and then done the same.

Big difference is cap recapture. Luongo’s contract always carried that risk. Ericksson’s contract has no such risk. And it has been done before. The only unknown to me is the 4M bonus. Where is that slotted into our cap.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:14 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:49 pm Seattle makes a great hire in Ron Francis
Blob, why has your Boi - Gillis been passed over for jobs for 5 years straight now? Is he just too good for the league?
My boi Lol

You haven’t stopped talking about the man
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:07 pm

Luongo was in a special category because of the amendments to the CBA to introduce the Luongo Rule.

Also, Luongo was still owed a shit-ton of money on his contract, which is why he wouldn't have mutually terminated. Versus Loui, who is only owed $3 mil per season for 3 years of hockey potentially riding the bus in Utica.

But Capgeek clarified what mutual termination actually means, and why it generally can't happen to a player (like Luongo) with an NMC:
We'd like to clarify a point from our previous tweet in which we refer to Berglund's contract termination as being "mutual", based on info we've received.

Contract termination is almost never mutual, in that the player is not required to sign-off on his own termination.

Unconditional waiver placements are almost always the result of a breach of contract (in this case, failing to report).

The club would then send the player & his agent a letter to inform them the contract will be terminated if the player does not report by a certain date.

At this point the player is aware that if he does not report by a certain date, the club will place him on unconditional waivers for the purpose of termination.

The player then takes the decision to either report to the club or accept that his contract will be terminated.

However, once the player clears waivers, and the club has officially terminated the contract, the player and his agent can challenge the violation outlined by the club for breach of contract, as well as the right to file a grievance with the players association.
So the process is Loui is demoted, refuses to report to Utica, is given formal notice that fail to report is a material breach, then he's placed on unconditional waivers.

WIth that Jake Dotchin guy, who was supposedly too fat for the Lightning last year, his RFA contract was mutually terminated and he became a UFA. He signed with the Ducks the same year. To my knowledge he's the only "mutual termination" (which is more accurately "termination for material breach") player to re-sign within the NHL after the termination.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

What about that LA guy who got caught with all the oxi coming across the boarder. LA lost that one no?
The only HW the Canucks need
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:39 pm What about that LA guy who got caught with all the oxi coming across the boarder. LA lost that one no?
Richards never played again, LA paid him something still owed on his contract to settle the PA's grievance, and the Kings had a greatly reduced cap recapture hit - which expires this year, actually.

The Kings problem was terminating against Richards' wishes, and without going through the substance abuse protocol. Its costing the Kings money until 2031, though the cap hit is over in 2020.
https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... il-2031-32