Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

After last night's game in China I've completely changed my opinion on Upshall. He's done nothing I can see to earn a contract. Guys on PTOs need to stand out.

Unfortunately Virtanen was a minus three yesterday which may seal his fate to start the year.

Boeser still is the one forward who so far deserves a look again with the big club and he didn't play yesterday :mrgreen:

Goldobin has not impressed thus far. Rodin seems to be finding his stride but needs to do more. McKewan impresses and may stay until Gaunce is ready. Molino has the speed and good defensive awareness but needs to play a lot and he won't do that if he stays.

On the big club I have not been impressed with Gagne, at all. Burmistrov has been ok. Labate tries hard and I like his toughness and may may earn a fourth line spot over White and Upshall.

Expect more cuts soon as Utica starts its season next weekend. I think only Goldobin, Rodin, Boeser, Virtanen survive the cuts up front. Juolevi Holm Biega should survive as well until the end of camp.
The only HW the Canucks need
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Hockey Widow wrote:Expect more cuts soon as Utica starts its season next weekend. I think only Goldobin, Rodin, Boeser, Virtanen survive the cuts up front. Juolevi Holm Biega should survive as well until the end of camp.
So far so good on the predictions, Wids!

Interesting, Subban being sat last night and then sent back down today. Wonder how many more chances he gets before they stick a fork in him.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Expect more cuts soon as Utica starts its season next weekend. I think only Goldobin, Rodin, Boeser, Virtanen survive the cuts up front. Juolevi Holm Biega should survive as well until the end of camp.

Interesting, Subban being sat last night and then sent back down today. Wonder how many more chances he gets before they stick a fork in him.
None. He's done. I'd dump him for whatever. Maybe Nashville will give us a 5th or 6th rounder.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
DonCherry4PM wrote:

None. He's done. I'd dump him for whatever. Maybe Nashville will give us a 5th or 6th rounder.
That would make sense if they were't so damn good, but ya, he's done here.
Maybe some team gives us that for the name, who knows.
Still say he should try and save himself and switch to wing.
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:
DonCherry4PM wrote:

He's eligible for waivers next year. Not sure why anyone would trade for an AHL dman they can have for free in 12 months.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: He's eligible for waivers next year. Not sure why anyone would trade for an AHL dman they can have for free in 12 months.
UMMMM... perhaps a team that believes the player has a slight chance of making the grade before then?

A team that figures that even if the player is available on waivers one year from now

... they might not get a crack at this player they are theoretically intrigued by?

THINK Nucklehead, THINK!

Like, no prospect has ever been traded one year prior to waiver-eligibility. :roll:

Good gawd man, she said a mere 5th or 6th rounder...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: He's eligible for waivers next year. Not sure why anyone would trade for an AHL dman they can have for free in 12 months.
UMMMM... perhaps a team that believes the player has a slight chance of making the grade before then?
Sounds like a Benning assessment.
A team that figures that even if the player is available on waivers one year from now

... they might not get a crack at this player they are theoretically intrigued by?
Definitely a Benning. Quick! Trade a 2nd for this intriguing young AHL prospect.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Probably can't get anything good for Subban, he's more valuable to Utica and helping them win this year if anything.

I mean he's good for 35+ points per season there, let the dude crack 100 points in three season's with the Comets.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

IN when Benning was playing swap a prospect/pick he was trading younger prospects that he felt didn't fit long term for prospects he thought were further along in their development. Thus we got Baertschi, Granlund, Clendenning and what's his name via Anaheim through New York. The one we trade Jensen for.

Point is I think he is in a different space now. He is in a position to trade older prospects a team may feel are further along in their development for younger prospects. So who knows. A team light on D may be willing to swap out some lesser light or late round pick to take a flyer on the kid. I don't expect Subban would be worth much of anything in a trade but it's the type of deal that Benning likes. He's just been on the other side due to trying to kick start the rebuild.

Some of those deals have worked out, others have not. Two were a loss imo. A 2nd for Vey and Clendenning for Forsling. Two were wins, Baertschi and Granlund. The others inconsequential, imho.

But with the increase in depth I could see him trying to pedal older prospects now to try and get something and to make room on Utica next season.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote:

THINK Nucklehead, THINK!

Like, no prospect has ever been traded one year prior to waiver-eligibility. :roll:

Good gawd man, she said a mere 5th or 6th rounder...

:roll:

He is not even worth that.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

2013, Late 4th round 115. Was a long shot anyways. Not something to lose sleep over.
At least he's still playing hockey.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Another Gillis top 4 rounds shrimp pick bites the dust. For the archives, move on
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:Another Gillis top 4 rounds shrimp pick bites the dust.
Still stuck on that one, eh Dude?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Another Gillis top 4 rounds shrimp pick bites the dust.
Still stuck on that one, eh Dude?
Stuck? No, we as a community just added Subban to that special list over the last few previous posts. Completely fresh and now for the archives, Subban is.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Hockey Widow wrote:Some of those deals have worked out, others have not. Two were a loss imo. A 2nd for Vey and Clendenning for Forsling. Two were wins, Baertschi and Granlund. The others inconsequential, imho.
Two wins, two losses, two ties. A very fair assessment, imho.

Is a .500 record on early trades for a rookie GM indicative of genius ? Closer to fair-to-average, imesho.