Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Topper »

And he had problems cracking that lineup. Was pressbox warmer on many a night.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Well, its obvious now that it was a trade of baggage for baggage. We will find out next season if Kassian becomes a good pro or remains a flake. Either way both are extremely high maintenance.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

RoyalDude wrote:Well, its obvious now that it was a trade of baggage for baggage. We will find out next season if Kassian becomes a good pro or remains a flake. Either way both are extremely high maintenance.
Kassian has already proven to be a 3rd liner. It's only a question of does he have a 2nd liner inside him, or, a marginal 1st liner? And it's almost all a mater of consistency, cuz he has shown moments of all 3.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yep Kassian is a third liner making 1.75 million a season . Imagine if he was making Sbisa money ? Hilarious to see the leader of the urine crew bashing him at every turn yet he conveniently ignores Sbisas horrific play and bloated salary .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Yep Kassian is a third liner making 1.75 million a season . Imagine if he was making Sbisa money ? Hilarious to see the leader of the urine crew bashing him at every turn yet he conveniently ignores Sbisas horrific play and bloated salary .

No shit.
Jim Benning wrote:"Getting Luca, he gives us some physical play from the back end. He's strong. He plays like a heavy game and I think in our division his heaviness is going to come in handy for our group."
Sbisa 151 hits (1.98 hits/game)
Kassian 88 hits (2.09 hits/game)

Right on, Jim.

I get that people (and the team) want to see more of Kassian, because he's teased by showing some of his ability to be dominant. He might never be able to put it together on a consistent basis, many big guy cannot. But Benning will have a hard time justifying trading Kassian for consistency issues when he just gave out that retarded deal to a guy that is just as inconsistent, older, and hasn't shown ANY sort of dominant skill set or even an inclination he could ever be a top-4 guy.

It still boggles my mind that we didn't just qualify him, or even take him to team-elected arbitration. Were they honestly afraid of this guy walking away as a UFA in a year or two? Andrew Ference is on a better contract.

Ryan Stanton at $1M would've been a much better choice.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Yep Kassian is a third liner making 1.75 million a season . Imagine if he was making Sbisa money ? Hilarious to see the leader of the urine crew bashing him at every turn yet he conveniently ignores Sbisas horrific play and bloated salary .
No shit.
Yep.
Island Nucklehead wrote: It still boggles my mind that we didn't just qualify him, or even take him to team-elected arbitration. Were they honestly afraid of this guy walking away as a UFA in a year or two?
I can't recall a single signing in Canucks history that has ever gone over as such a lead balloon.

It seems Canuckdom was willing to give Benning the benefit of the doubt(s) until he inked that one.

We can only hope that Jimbo is an idiot savant who can see into the Sbisa future.

This would mean the rest of us are missing something, but it's what we need to hope for.

Surely though, even GMJB sees this as a HUGE gamble.

If Sbisa somehow turns into a solid Top 4 within a year, JB will be hailed as a genius...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Kassian for Hodgson is and always was a win for Vancouver
I bet Hodgson rebounds with another team that is in an better situation compared to the 2014/15 Sabres which is/was one of the shittiest teams in NHL history.

20 more goals and some back-checking from CoHo and they would have climbed out of the toilet. There is more wrong with that team than just CoHo, but, damned, he didn't do anything to make it better.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Senators are shopping Anderson and Lehner. I think this is could be an asinine move on their part if they deal Anderson, Lehner is still unproven, and Hammond has had one run of over the top play that came to a grinding halt in the playoffs. According to TSN, Ottawa is asking for a top-6 forward AND a draft pick for either goaltender.

If Edmonton is smart they make a play for Anderson. A proven starter who can steal games. With McDavid coming on board they can give up a top-6 forward to make it happen.

Sucks for us though, this screws with the supply and demand in the goalie market now.

I still think that Edmonton makes their deal with the Rangers for Talbot. Not only can the Rangers afford to part with Talbot, but the deal could be sweetened for the Oilers as the Rags currently have 6 defensemen inked to deals that carry an average cap hit of $4.3M. I doubt that the Rangers or Oilers would say no to a trade that sent Yakupov and the 16th overall to New York in exchange for Talbot, a low pick, and one of Yandle or Klein.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So a Hodgson buyout is 1/3' he is not yet 26, double the years left on his contract so 8 years. Comes to just over $750,000 per for a team that won't be anywhere near the ceiling. Looking more and more like he gets bought out.

Not too bad for the kid. A guaranteed $75,000 USD for the next 8 years. Someone will pick him up, maybe the leaves, local kid, for 1 million per for a couple of years. Helps them ice a team while their kiddies develop.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Not too bad for the kid. A guaranteed $75,000 USD for the next 8 years. Someone will pick him up, maybe the leaves, local kid, for 1 million per for a couple of years. Helps them ice a team while their kiddies develop.
Yes, he'd be perfect for the leaves with that sorry ass attitude of his!

Perfect guy to mentor their "kiddies". (though they don't really have many kiddies to speak of yet) :wink:

He's like Phil Kessel without the goal scoring! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:He's like Phil Kessel without the goal scoring! :lol:
Remember Mcguire to para phrase, "Stamkos on stumps".
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Pierre loves him some stumps I've heard. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

BJs fail to sign college dman prospect Mike Reilly, who is now a UFA.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771300

21 year old offensive dman was scoring at a point/game in U of Minnesota and lead the team in scoring.

Has some history in BC playing in the BCHL, so we could be on his list of teams. Benning is sure to make a pitch for him (assuming he doesn't have attitude issues) with our dman prospect pool and him being in that early 20's range that he's been trying to restock.

EDIT: upon further reading, he is from MN and his dad is a minority stakeholder in the Wild. I don't think we are in the picture at all.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hey Minny is buying out Matt Cooke.......JK, JK, JK no really they are buying him out JK about him coming here. Time for Matt to retire.
The only HW the Canucks need
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:Hey Minny is buying out Matt Cooke.......JK, JK, JK no really they are buying him out JK about him coming here. Time for Matt to retire.
He's no Matt Pettinger that's for sure...
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.